Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Sssshhh...I'm discovering Sleater-Kinney. This is a special time in a boy's life.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: A Respectful Awareness of Diabetes - 12/14/2006  (Read 7653 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

acoxcae

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 314
  • Because I don't have one. Never have.
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
A Respectful Awareness of Diabetes - 12/14/2006
« on: December 14, 2005, 06:43:16 pm »

Meh.  I think Ray's writing isn't entertaining unless he's writing about something near and dear to him, like liquor or women.

I would not read Ray's diabetes story.

I do like the idea of living life with a constant respectul awareness of diabetes though - like, every day in the back of your mind, just thinking, "Damn, diabetes sure is tough.  I better stay on top of that."



edit: somebody tell the phpbb people to STOP ADDING A DAMN CLOSE URL TAG WHEN I'VE CLEARLY ALREADY DONE IT.  This is not that hard.
Logged
this new board has a shitload of buttons.

why are there no zippers?
-thanks ark

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
A Respectful Awareness of Diabetes - 12/14/2006
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2005, 06:50:01 pm »

The whole "Fear of Diabetes" theme is pretty common in Achewood.  It's a dominant theme in my life, for which I'm mocked.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

antioch

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 185
  • fuggedaboudit!
    • View Profile
    • Facehugger Records
A Respectful Awareness of Diabetes - 12/14/2006
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2005, 06:57:36 pm »

Points on the distinct sound effect for deleting. Take that, onomatopoeia!
Logged
I am older now.

V-Adore

  • Guest
A Respectful Awareness of Diabetes - 12/14/2006
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2005, 07:00:49 pm »

The only way it could have been better is if it had been prefaced with "ker-" or "ka-." ker-DELETE!

This is a sinister story. Has Ray Smuckles Gray Rackles been genetically engineered to like Tough Customer Ham Pockets, or what? What kind of SCIENCE! has been worked here?
Logged

Roger

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 22
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 311
  • Who watches the smiling fries?
    • View Profile
    • http://www.last.fm/user/rogermarmo/
A Respectful Awareness of Diabetes - 12/14/2006
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2005, 07:35:29 pm »

That's it, I permanently like this strip.
Don't the first two panels look like your traditional disposable/stand-alone syndicated comic strip... you know... first two panels?
(there's got to be a technical name for that)
Logged
Gabba Gabba Hegel!

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
A Respectful Awareness of Diabetes - 12/14/2006
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2005, 07:48:21 pm »

I like thought bubbles.
Logged
ACHIEVE

mrchee

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: -4
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 163
  • -NULLAM REM NATAM-
    • View Profile
A Respectful Awareness of Diabetes - 12/14/2006
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2005, 07:55:24 pm »

Final panel and alt text: priceless
Logged
If no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire... The A-Team

aparrish

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 115
    • View Profile
    • http://myth.livejournal.com/
A Respectful Awareness of Diabetes - 12/14/2006
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2005, 08:10:44 pm »

Surely "Gray Rackles" is now a candidate to be one of those title thingies that you get for posting a certain number of messages (is there a name for that?).

Anyway, it's true, Reader's Digest is awfully powerful.  We had stacks and stacks of them in the basement back home and I used to read 'Life In These United States' before I went to sleep.  This was when I was in second grade.  Even to this day, my mom will call me up occasionally and tell me to stop eating giraffe, based on something she read in Reader's Digest.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: A Respectful Awareness of Diabetes - 12/14/2006
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2005, 08:14:17 pm »

Quote from: "acoxcae"
edit: somebody tell the phpbb people to STOP ADDING A DAMN CLOSE URL TAG WHEN I'VE CLEARLY ALREADY DONE IT.  This is not that hard.

I'm guessing it's the buttons. If you open a tag with the handy buttons at the top of the screen then you must also close that tag with those buttons. If you click Submit first then the buttons will still close the tags for you anyway assuming you forgot. They're not smart enough to see that you've manually typed the close tag. Work around: either use the buttons exclusively or not at all.

So did Ray just forget to make up a fake brand name for Fritos? It's not like he thinks it's generic because he capped it. Random fact I learned from my current job: Bubble Wrap is still a trademark. Apparently we're supposed to be calling this shit "air cellular cushioning" The hell?
Logged

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
A Respectful Awareness of Diabetes - 12/14/2006
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2005, 08:30:33 pm »

Diabetes is a running theme in Achewood, does Onstad himself maintain a respectful awareness of the disease?

Also, I am uncomfortable with my comics preying upon my hypochondria this much.  Between Beef's neuroses about protein blockage in a leg signifying a tumor, Ray's diabetes, and whatever the hell Phillipe has that makes him retarded; I'm either laughing or in the back of the room with a paper sack checking my pulse* every 20 seconds.


* also, for lumps.
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

Null

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 204
    • View Profile
    • http://beckoningchasm.com
A Respectful Awareness of Diabetes - 12/14/2006
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2005, 08:44:27 pm »

Quote from: "Roger"
That's it, I permanently like this strip.
Don't the first two panels look like your traditional disposable/stand-alone syndicated comic strip... you know... first two panels?
(there's got to be a technical name for that)


I don't know the technical name for it, but many Sunday comic strips would make the first two panels superfluous so that they could be cropped depending on the comics section layout.

"Gray Rackles" made me laugh out loud.
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
A Respectful Awareness of Diabetes - 12/14/2006
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2005, 08:51:25 pm »

Quote from: "misterqueue"
whatever the hell Phillipe has that makes him retarded

I believe that's called "being five." Sure, he's never stopped being five, but he's a cartoon character. How long has Bart Simpson been 10?
Logged

Roger

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 22
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 311
  • Who watches the smiling fries?
    • View Profile
    • http://www.last.fm/user/rogermarmo/
A Respectful Awareness of Diabetes - 12/14/2006
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2005, 09:01:16 pm »

Quote from: "Null"
Quote from: "Roger"
That's it, I permanently like this strip.
Don't the first two panels look like your traditional disposable/stand-alone syndicated comic strip... you know... first two panels?
(there's got to be a technical name for that)


I don't know the technical name for it, but many Sunday comic strips would make the first two panels superfluous so that they could be cropped depending on the comics section layout.


Yeah, I guess I learned that from Bill Watterson. When he wrote in one of his books how he rebelled against all those sunday strip format constraints and all. Until then I guess I thought those first panels were just some sort of "pre-joke".
Logged
Gabba Gabba Hegel!

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
A Respectful Awareness of Diabetes - 12/14/2006
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2005, 09:05:25 pm »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
Quote from: "misterqueue"
whatever the hell Phillipe has that makes him retarded

I believe that's called "being five." Sure, he's never stopped being five, but he's a cartoon character. How long has Bart Simpson been 10?


Oh I know.. I just don't like him unless he's being tormented.  I think it goes back to my hatred of children.  (And yes.. I also kick puppies.. before anyone asks.)

So really that last one was a dig, I appologize for the confusion.
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
A Respectful Awareness of Diabetes - 12/14/2006
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2005, 09:50:32 pm »

I thought those panels were the throwaway joke.

V, don't forget that Philippe is in therapy for something. So there's more to him than just being 5.
Logged
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up