Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
that there is no way to put a picture of a pug in the News Box?

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Where ought a a man or a lady have hair?  (Read 43319 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Where ought a a man or a lady have hair?
« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2005, 12:15:25 am »

Quote from: "JorgeFabregas"


Old people, in my experience, are generally well groomed. Grooming is not a habit someone loses with age, typically. Certain types of grooming (waxing, etc.) eventually lose their appeal because they really are pretty silly and don't stand up to the pain in the ass/benefit ratio especially when the benefits decrease with age.


This works the other way too - people don't suddenly develop good grooming in old age either.

Badly groomed old folks are often heinous.
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Where ought a a man or a lady have hair?
« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2005, 12:41:46 am »

Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
Badly groomed old folks are often heinous.


Yeah, yeah.

I've seen the broad spectrum of the elderly when interviewing elders in the community: from the perfectly groomed to the guy who sat on a pile of news papers to absorb his pee.  Oh, I did a double, triple take for that one.  Is that news paper he's sitting on?  Check.  Wait, is that...is that a puddle on the news paper?  And then the smell explained it all.

If you're well groomed now, you'll be well groomed then - I have to agree with this sentiment.  Again, another argument to start as many grooming rituals now as a young pup to maintain as they grow more an more nessisary.

Anyway, one of my greatest worries is that when I grow old I'll be one of those old ladies who has a beard.  I've specifically told my SO to watch for this, and make sure to help me do away with it should it come.  The old lady beard - it scares me more than cancer.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
Where ought a a man or a lady have hair?
« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2005, 02:55:30 am »

i don't actually want your back hair, bozack.
i was joking.
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Where ought a a man or a lady have hair?
« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2005, 05:52:56 am »

Quote from: "Bozack"
Because you asked.

GAZE UPON MY SECRET SHAME.


Top item on Gizmodo now.  They must read TOUAMB.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Where ought a a man or a lady have hair?
« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2005, 03:45:06 pm »

two things:

 Sideshow: do people (by which I mean: women) actually shave their arms? Why?

And two: Bozack, I can sympathize. I occaisionally find a stray long hair on my back (ie: growing out of it.) and do the whole "oh god, I'm turning into my gross hairy uncle" thing... getting out mirrors... ugh.

Also, I'm scared of going bald. But that's a different problem all together.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Where ought a a man or a lady have hair?
« Reply #35 on: December 14, 2005, 03:57:32 pm »

Quote from: "jough"
Quote from: "Bozack"
Because you asked.

GAZE UPON MY SECRET SHAME.


Top item on Gizmodo now.  They must read TOUAMB.


This was, more or less, an "invention" on MST3K 12 or so years ago.
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Where ought a a man or a lady have hair?
« Reply #36 on: December 15, 2005, 11:05:17 pm »

Quote from: "theinevitable"

 Sideshow: do people (by which I mean: women) actually shave their arms? Why?


Well, most North American women shave their underarms.  So yes.  And why?  Well, the same reason many men shave their faces - aethetic and cleanliness reasons.  Also, some women, mostly those who have dark and/or thick hair do shave their arms.  My sister waxes her arms from elbow to wrist, as her arm hair is thick, and she prefers it.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Where ought a a man or a lady have hair?
« Reply #37 on: December 16, 2005, 12:24:29 am »

I know several men, or "men," who shave their arms.

Bozack: I'm all for waxing.  I dated a girl once and she was going to hook me up with some laser hair removal (I have about the same amount as you do), and I was totally going to go for it.  Not all over, but, you know  Enough so I look more like a human than a chimp.  But then we stopped dating, so I lost the hook-up.  Once I stop being poor, I will get waxed regularly.  My sister's a cosmetologist, but refuses to do it.  I don't blame her, but damn, could save me a lot of money.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Where ought a a man or a lady have hair?
« Reply #38 on: December 16, 2005, 01:38:53 am »

yeah. I didn't think of under-arm shaving. I thought you meant just general arm hair.

but apparently some people -do- do that. hmm.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

V-Adore

  • Guest
Where ought a a man or a lady have hair?
« Reply #39 on: December 16, 2005, 02:00:28 am »

Okay, from people who would know: how much forearm hair on a woman is enough to force one to shave/wax/whatever? I have relatively hirsute forearms but have never been sure whether it would be weirder to continue to be hirsute or to shave. I mean, wouldn't shaved forearms look really weird? And, eventually, stubbly?
Logged

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
Where ought a a man or a lady have hair?
« Reply #40 on: December 16, 2005, 03:57:45 am »

I had never even considered arms as a place where people could shave, and I'm probably the worst person to ask about whether or not an arm should be shaved, as I have literally no feelings whatsoever about women shaving armpits/crotchtacular regions vs. not doing so. As long as the lady-beard isn't kicking it, I'm down. I just sort of assumed that people had hair on their arms, not that it was something To Be Corrected.
Arms? Jesus, and you people hopped all over me for not liking the back hair.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Where ought a a man or a lady have hair?
« Reply #41 on: December 16, 2005, 05:33:57 am »

I guess it's all arbitrary as to what is acceptable and what is excessive grooming.

To recap, my grooming preferences are correct and other people should fall in line. People who groom less are slobs and people who groom more are wasting their lives worrying about things like that.
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Where ought a a man or a lady have hair?
« Reply #42 on: December 16, 2005, 02:16:33 pm »

Don't you watch American Dad? When the daughter is bald and some heckler goes, "that's the only place you want them to have hair!"

Why isn't there a way for women to be totally hairless other than long flowing hair on top of the head? I mean, isn't the only reason we let women be scientists at all to work on these kinds of issues?

Also, what's up with women aging? Is it really necessary?

One day this will be taken out of context and will ruin my career/life.
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Where ought a a man or a lady have hair?
« Reply #43 on: December 16, 2005, 02:44:18 pm »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
Okay, from people who would know: how much forearm hair on a woman is enough to force one to shave/wax/whatever? I have relatively hirsute forearms but have never been sure whether it would be weirder to continue to be hirsute or to shave. I mean, wouldn't shaved forearms look really weird? And, eventually, stubbly?


You know, the only reason a woman should remove her forearm hair is if it looks like man-arm hair, in fact, when it comes to my own policy of removing hair I always ask myself, is the hair man-ish, and if not, why am I removing it?  The only exception I make is to eyebrows - though even if I never removed any eyebrow hair I would still not have man-brows, but I really prefer a neat, tidy, sculpted look.

As for my sister, who I noted removes her arm hair, I think her arms look a little weird - all uber-smooth with a bit of a shiny quality.  Also, yes, I've seen arm stubble when she is in an inbetween stage, and this is also weird.

I remember ages ago seeing Laura Flynn Boyle on some talk show talking about how she's into getting a full body wax - meaning from head to toe - everywhere except her head hair, and well, that seemed like a little much to me.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Where ought a a man or a lady have hair?
« Reply #44 on: December 16, 2005, 03:23:08 pm »

I just found out that one of my friends does that full body wax thing.  It was possibly more than I needed to know.

But really, what's wrong with a little hair, people?  We're mammals.  It's cuddly.  Would you rather snuggle up to a puppy or a naked mole rat?  Or one of those hairless cats or a frog?  Doesn't the puppy win every time?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up