Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Surprising fact: toothpaste is a complete protein.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Help a Daddy Out!  (Read 6782 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Help a Daddy Out!
« on: December 17, 2005, 03:27:06 pm »

I just got my daughter an MP3 player for Christmas.  Now it must be populated with songs.  But the variety of music services out there is bewildering, at least to me.

Recommendations?  Yahoo Music was looking pretty good to me.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Help a Daddy Out!
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2005, 05:01:28 pm »

How old is she?  Elementary school age?  Teenager?  Is she 'net-savvy enough to handle loading music onto her device with the usually crappy software that the music services make you use?

What kind of player did you get her?

All of the music services pretty much suck.  None of them let you own your music - some are subscription services that let you eat all you want, but as soon as you stop paying the monthly bill, you have no music again.

The others are almost as bad, with DRM restrictions on where and how many times you can play the music you "buy."

eMusic has low-ish quality unrestricted MP3s, and they're not very expensive, but the selection tends towards the indie.

It also depends on HOW your daughter listens to music.  Does she want just a song or two here and there from Top 40 hits, or does she tend to listen to whole albums?  If it's the latter, it's cheaper to buy the CD and rip it.  You get better quality that way, and you can sell the CD after ripping to lower the price some more.  

So, given that, if you're willing to rent music for your daughter that will be tied to a specific device, then it's important to make sure that the device you bought will play the format of the service you like.

Y! Music is probably the cheapest out there, but the sound quality is like streaming music is.  It's about AM radio quality.  It's listenable, but not great.  Oh, and that $5/month won't let you transfer songs to her MP3 player.  That's just a come-on price.  It's $119/year to sign up for Yahoo Music ToGo, and then 79 cents a track to "buy" (i.e. rent) the songs that can be copied to a Windows PlaysForSure player.  And the list is really short.  Is the player you bought for her on that list?  

The iPod won't play music from any store but the iTunes Music Store, which is one of the worst out there.  Expensive, the quality sucks, and they limit you to moving the songs to 5 PCs, which sounds fine until you realise that's 5 PCs for the rest of your daughter's life.  In other words, she'd have to re-buy her music in a few years of upgrade cycles.

You can get legal  unrestricted MP3s from various Russian companies, since they have broadcast licensing fees for music over the internet (more like the fees radio stations pay labels, rather than the sales model) and I've used AllOfMP3.com now for over a year with much success.  They have a download manager that's actually easier to use than iTunes, and they charge by the megabyte rather than by the song, and let you pick your encoding rate so that you can save money if 128kbps is good enough for your ears (I tend to get everything at 192kbps).

And the tracks you download from them are yours to keep and will play on any mp3 player, can be moved to unlimited devices or computers, you can back them up, you only have to pay once, etc.

Now is a good time to teach your daughter about the unethical practices of the current fair use restrictions placed on consumers.  The record labels, aided by the government, want people to shift from buying things to leasing their use (essentially renting content) and they're hoping to indoctrinate your children in this way of unamerican thinking so they can make more money.  Please note that the artists make less and less all the time.  If you want to support an artist, go to their show and buy a t-shirt while you're there.  They make far more profit from that than they do from their records.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Help a Daddy Out!
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2005, 05:04:43 pm »

Jough's question re: your daughter's tech savvy seconded -- is she capable of loading her own MP3 player? Does she have an MP3 collection? If not, can she rip CDs and such? I would be hesitant to load it for her unless I knew exactly what she wanted and that she couldn't do it herself or be taught to.
Logged

robot_roll_call

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 331
  • That's one o!
    • View Profile
Help a Daddy Out!
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2005, 05:13:29 pm »

I come for the cartoon cats, I stay for the consumer rights education.
Logged
Did you know that Achewood is literary.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Help a Daddy Out!
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2005, 05:26:45 pm »

She is 12 and fairly computer savvy.  I'm not sure she knows how to do it now, but could easily do it if shown how.

So let me get this straight:  I pay an annual fee of say $120/year, then I pay 79 cents per song?  And then I don't get to keep the song when my $120 year is over?

Fuck that shit.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Help a Daddy Out!
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2005, 05:48:35 pm »

Quote from: "AugustWest"
So let me get this straight:  I pay an annual fee of say $120/year, then I pay 79 cents per song?  And then I don't get to keep the song when my $120 year is over?

Fuck that shit.

My words exactly.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Help a Daddy Out!
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2005, 07:19:47 pm »

So what brand or type of device should I get for my wife?

Sounds like an i-Pod locks you into a poor music store and bad music owning policy - what would be a good choice?
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Help a Daddy Out!
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2005, 08:11:06 pm »

Quote from: "jough"
The iPod won't play music from any store but the iTunes Music Store, which is one of the worst out there.

Not entirely true. The iPod won't play music from any store that uses DRM but the iTunes Music Store. An iPod will play stuff from AllOfMP3 (not actually legal but they claim to be, and nobody's been sued yet) or eMusic. And of course you can always rip and encode CDs that you already own with iTunes or Audiograbber.
Logged

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Help a Daddy Out!
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2005, 08:32:42 pm »

Quote from: "jough"
The record labels, aided by the government, want people to shift from buying things to leasing their use (essentially renting content) and they're hoping to indoctrinate your children in this way of unamerican thinking so they can make more money.


And this is why, despite my desire to do my small part to convince the industry that inexpensive legal online music purchase is a good and feasible model, I continue to pay much, much less for my audio entertainment.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Help a Daddy Out!
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2005, 09:40:28 pm »

August:
No, you can keep the music as long as you continue to pay the $120 a year or whatever it is per month ($12.99 I think).  The music will expire on the device if you don't sync it to a PC every 30 days too.

Yeah, fuck that shit is right.

AD:
I have an iPod and have never purchased a single track from the iTunes Music Store (ITMS).  I get all of my mp3s from ripping CDs or from AllOfMP3.com and can load them onto my iPod or ANY other MP3 player with no problem at any time.  I can give them to a friend if I want.  I can back them up onto a CD.  I can burn a music mix CD for someone.

They're completely unrestricted mp3s.  It's all I'll ever use.

It's hard to recommend something for your wife without knowing how she listens to music, or if she has a massive mp3 collection and wants it all with her, etc.

I have an iPod nano, which is 4Gb, very small and light, easy to use, and cheap for a flash-based player ($250, maybe less online).  I'll never go back to a hard drive player, for reasons I mention in the iPod thread.

I was "against" the idea of the trendy iPod for a long time, and have owned several other mp3 players, but damned if the iPod isn't the market leader for a reason.  It's a really nice player that does job one well.  It plays music and is a joy to use.

The new hard drive iPods also play little videos and tv shows and stuff, which is fun if you're buying the iPod for mainly music, since it's not a very good video player as portable video players go.

Cort:
I mentioned both AllOfMP3.com and eMusic in my post.  Music purchased at these two places are just mp3s, plain and simple.  You can do whatever the hell you want with them.  They're yours to own.  You can play them on any PC or portable device you want.

Golf:
The record labels/RIAA just don't get it.  They're trying to combat file sharing, but then they only offer poorer quality music with more restrictions for more money.  I'm willing to spend a little money for the convenience of knowing I'll get a decent quality recording that isn't any more restrictive of my use than the "free" downloads are - but I'll be damned if I'm going to pay good money to get something that isn't as good as something I can get for free (or for cheap, via AllOfMP3.com).

I was a little wary of AllOfMp3 when I first heard about them (I think there's a thread about them from about a year ago here too) but after reading The Guardian's article about them and finding that they're perfectly legal (albeit due to a loophole in Russian law which could close at any time) I can buy music there without having to worry about The Man coming down on my ass.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Help a Daddy Out!
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2005, 02:33:46 pm »

AllofMp3.com

Now That's what I'm talkin' about!.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Help a Daddy Out!
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2005, 04:27:19 am »

yeah.
personally, I have an iPod, and I put music on it from my cds.

also, I illegally download music. Because I am a cheap bastard. And, as it is, I spend 80% of my money buying cds/records. So I refuse to spend my money on a cd I haven't heard. Therefore, I download. For free. And I realize that this is morally lax. And being morally lax is against my basic personality. But, it works for now. I buy cds with the vast majority of my money, I ask for cds for every christmas/birthday, and I give cds for any present-giving opportunity. So I really feel no remorse. i would buy far fewer cds if there wasn't a way to listen to them for free beforehand.

Also: I can't find most of the bands I like in any music store anywhere near me. But that's a horrendously weak excuse.

I wish I could convince myself that art should be free. because some part of me does believe that.
But I also know that being able to make a living through art is the greatest thing I can imagine.
So, damn me.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Help a Daddy Out!
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2005, 05:59:46 pm »

Downloading music from the internet is morally justifiable.  Leasing mp3's?  Paying for radio?  I call for a full scale revolution.  We must topple this corrupt way of doing business.  Steal as much music as you can until they get the message.  You want us to buy more music?  Stop cramming shit down our throats and let us hear the good shit upfront.  Can anyone explain why my (clearchannel dominated) radio landscape has (at least) 4 oldies stations?  Don't get me wrong, I love classic rock, I was raised on it, but I don't know how I can possibly squeeze anymore enjoyment out of yet another listening of Wish You Were Here or Stairway to Heaven.  The Lone new rock station is no better.  Between the latest 6th generation punk or fratboy crap rock they still play Early '90's grunge daily (hourly) as if it were the latest cutting edge.

Fuck the music industry, fuck 'em where it hurts.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Help a Daddy Out!
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2005, 06:27:40 pm »


Fuck the music industry, fuck 'em where it hurts.

~Paul

The back of a Volkswagon?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Help a Daddy Out!
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2005, 06:31:58 pm »

The back of a Volkswagen?
Bent over the tailgate of a Ford PU, double barrel shotgun style.

PS-Spellcheck said you misspelled Volkswagen, is this correct?

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up