Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Trains are saying "hello".  All this time, we just snub them.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: New Forum Software  (Read 38658 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: New Forum Software
« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2005, 10:01:24 am »

I like the karma points. Why? I can find things out like everybody likes wombat. It's a club I never knew existed that everyone belongs to.
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: New Forum Software
« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2005, 02:20:35 pm »

Man. This has caused a drastic flare-up of my chronic not-noticing-there's-another-page-in-the-thread-itis.

I've noticed some of Jough's more entertaining tweaks since yesterday. Like the Quick Reply box and the "time wasted" meter.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: New Forum Software
« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2005, 02:28:38 pm »

I like the karma points. Why? I can find things out like everybody likes wombat. It's a club I never knew existed that everyone belongs to.

Whoa.  It's sure a club that I never knew existed either.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: New Forum Software
« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2005, 05:47:18 pm »

I like the groovy little changes in the Karma points and the time online meter. And the newsbox is an interesting feature too.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: New Forum Software
« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2005, 05:49:00 pm »

I remembered how we often like to give each other "points" for cool posts, so I thought the Karma feature could be used for that.  The board lets you rename the name of the Karma thing, as well as what to call the +1 and -1 links.

At first I went with "Hit Points" and thought maybe an AD&D (2nd ed.) reference would be in order, but then I remembered how everyone was delighted by Bozack's bestowing of tiny cans of Dr Pepper, so I figured that would be perfect.

Doesn't it make the Karma feature way more fun?

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: New Forum Software
« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2005, 06:00:39 pm »

Hmm. I appear to no longer be LAZARUS.

But I'm totally digging how smart the "new post" feature is on this board.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: New Forum Software
« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2005, 06:08:46 pm »

I wish that when I look at the main page with all of the fora listed that it didn't go gray until I had looked at all the different topics that had been posted in.  That's a subtraction from the previous board software.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: New Forum Software
« Reply #37 on: December 19, 2005, 06:14:45 pm »

But Paul - now you have a new tag on every thread inside the fora! That's way better than the old board.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: New Forum Software
« Reply #38 on: December 19, 2005, 06:21:21 pm »

Doesn't it make the Karma feature way more fun?

I guess it does if people love you...
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: New Forum Software
« Reply #39 on: December 19, 2005, 06:26:56 pm »

But Paul - now you have a new tag on every thread inside the fora! That's way better than the old board.
Yes I agree.  However, say for instance I'll click on the wildcard fora and there are 5 threads with new posts.  Only 2 of them are of great interest to me so I read them.  Then I move to another fora and so on.  Once that's done I want to go back to the main page and see which fora still have unread threads.  Like a reminder, oh I missed 3 in the Wildcard section.

PS- Spell check, Yay!!!

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: New Forum Software
« Reply #40 on: December 19, 2005, 07:35:14 pm »

I guess it does if people love you...

I took away a can of Dr Pepper for that comment, Mr. West.

See how it works?  Isnt' it fun?

Oh, also, Ninja Edit is called "courtesy edit" here and I can set the wait time in minutes.  In other words, the time they give you between when you post your message and the time that editing it will result in a "Last edited..." message.

I set it to 180 seconds, which is three minutes.  That sound right?  The default was 60 seconds.

Also, I'm LOVING that nothing gets marked as read without my actually loading it (I guess the board can never tell if you actually READ something, but this is as good as it'll get).

I agree with Paul that it should not mark the main page as having a forum "read" if there are ANY posts in it you haven't either read or explicitly marked as read.  I will be collecting things like this to send as a feature request (or bug fix request) to the makers of SMF.

Also, I've had too much fun with the news box.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2005, 07:54:42 pm by jough »
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: New Forum Software
« Reply #41 on: December 19, 2005, 08:04:50 pm »

Ah, excellent. As long as the "forum marked entirely as read while there are still new posts in it" thing is fixed, I'll be perfectly happy.

Of course, now I'm paranoid about having so few little cans of Dr. Pepper. Where did I go wrong?! How unloved am I? Oh, woe is the internet!
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: New Forum Software
« Reply #42 on: December 19, 2005, 08:05:59 pm »

It's because you don't have an avatar.  I tend to identify people more with their avatars than I do their user names.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: New Forum Software
« Reply #43 on: December 19, 2005, 08:12:43 pm »

It's because you don't have an avatar.  I tend to identify people more with their avatars than I do their user names.
Yes, I realize this. I am trying to figure out where my saved googly eye is so I can re-upload it. No luck so far, alas...
Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11   Go Up