Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
that there is no way to put a picture of a pug in the News Box?

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: horribly pretentious art comics?  (Read 8012 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: horribly pretentious art comics?
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2005, 02:38:15 pm »

We tried to get some Kochalka comics... and the guy asked us if we were over 18. And we thought he was joking.

I can get in to R rated movies. I can buy M rated games.
But I can't buy a comic book that has nudity in it.

He was really apologetic about it, though...

That is so weird.  Kochalka comics occasionally have some nudity, but only in the innocent, sort of Garden of Eden-style nudity that would offend no one.  Apart from Fancy Froglin, which is about a frog who wears tiny ##### to conceal his erections, but still his erections are really innocent, not like, sex erections...  The Fancy Froglin book does have a quote from a review in Playboy, so I suppose this might shade things in the wrong direction...  I never even questioned selling Kochalka books to younger readers.  That's weird.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: horribly pretentious art comics?
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2005, 03:13:32 pm »

hmmm.

It was called "superfuckers".

I don't know. He seemed really upset about it, but he said he'd gotten in trouble before for selling certain comics to kids under 18.

wierd wierd wierd.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
Re: horribly pretentious art comics?
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2005, 08:49:56 pm »

I don't know. He seemed really upset about it, but he said he'd gotten in trouble before for selling certain comics to kids under 18.

Man, that's why Jesus invented the Comic Book Legal Defense Fund.
Support it by buying a Fancy Froglin t-shirt about genitals, why not!
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: horribly pretentious art comics?
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2005, 02:26:51 am »

I have no self-discipline.
Now I bought "David Boring", even though I dont' have christmas presents for like half of my immediate family.

I didn't even get something someone suggested...
damn.
but, its good, I think. so far.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: horribly pretentious art comics?
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2005, 04:54:23 am »

hmmm.

It was called "superfuckers".

I don't know. He seemed really upset about it, but he said he'd gotten in trouble before for selling certain comics to kids under 18.

wierd wierd wierd.

Oh, yeah, I haven't read Superfuckers yet, but apparently it's sort of a mock-teen superhero comic, so I am puzzled by the nudity content.  Hmm.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: horribly pretentious art comics?
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2005, 05:09:40 pm »

the panel I glanced at was something like:
*a leaf falling from a tree* "I am superfuck*ng-leaf! Fuck yeah!"

We laughed pretty hard at this.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: horribly pretentious art comics?
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2005, 04:45:00 am »

I can't remember exactly how I got into it, or why, or when, but I am now totally into Batman comics.  It started with The Dark Knight Returns.  Then I read Year One.  I just recently picked up The Long Halloween.  And I loved all three.  Where should I go next?  Oh, and sorry.  I know Batman isn't exactly pretentious, but, you know.

Recently I went to a comic book store with a friend.  Then I realized that I was in a comic book store.  With a friend.  And it was my idea to go.  I asked her:  "When did I become a dork?"

Also, an opinion or two about the Sandman series?  Loved American Gods to death, and really liked Neverwhere.  Will I like the Sandman comics?

I downloaded the first Fables, but I haven't yet had time to look through it.  Looks interesting though.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
Re: horribly pretentious art comics?
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2005, 04:59:07 am »

I can't remember exactly how I got into it, or why, or when, but I am now totally into Batman comics.  It started with The Dark Knight Returns.  Then I read Year One.  I just recently picked up The Long Halloween.  And I loved all three.  Where should I go next?  Oh, and sorry.  I know Batman isn't exactly pretentious, but, you know.

I recently "acquired" by "completely legal means" a "bundle" called The 25 Greatest Batman Graphic Novels Ever. While I don't entirely agree with that assessment in all cases, I've been enjoying reading/rereading them. Here's the list:
Year One
The Dark Knight Returns
The Killing Joke
Arkham Asylum (by Grant Morrison, not to be confused with Arkham Asylum: Living Hell)
The Long Halloween
The Cult
Son Of The Demon
Dark Victory
Batman vs. Dracula: Red Rain
Hush
Blind Justice
Mad Love
Gotham by Gaslight
Black And White Vol. 1
Death In The Family
Gothic
Strange Apparitions
A Lonely Place Of Dying
Tales Of The Demon
JLA: Tower Of Babel (I haven't read this one yet, but I understand it is instrumental in defining a lot of how his relationship to the rest of the JLA is interpreted; probably skippable if you don't care about the rest of the DCU)
Thrillkiller
The Man Who Laughs
Nine Lives
Knightfall vol.1: Broken Bat (I didn't like Knightfall much, myself)
Venom

Also, an opinion or two about the Sandman series?  Loved American Gods to death, and really liked Neverwhere.  Will I like the Sandman comics?

Probably.
Logged

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: horribly pretentious art comics?
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2005, 05:37:47 am »

Did I make up Batman/Grendel and Grendel/Batman in my head? Because I swear I remember reading them like 20+ years ago.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: horribly pretentious art comics?
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2005, 06:05:28 am »

yeah. I ended up in the comic book store with my girlfriend. and the guy started trying to sell her comics. and she was like "no, I don't want any. I mean... I'm just here with him."
and I felt awkward. because I realized I was going to a comic book store, and I realized my girlfriend was with me, but I didn't make the connection that I was making my girlfriend go into a comicbook store with me

but, yes. pretentiousness is not at all a requirement. I was just assuming that "arty" comics would be easier to get in to than superhero comics, which some horrible part of me thinks "oh man, those are for kids". Now, however, I have quickly realized that they are quite good. I just wish that I hadn't bought myself 30-40$ worth of (trade paperbacks? is that what they're called?) when I hadn't bought my parents christmas presents yet... it was a bad move.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: horribly pretentious art comics?
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2005, 06:12:26 am »

I recently "acquired" by "completely legal means" a "bundle" called The 25 Greatest Batman Graphic Novels Ever. While I don't entirely agree with that assessment in all cases, I've been enjoying reading/rereading them. Here's the list:

Umm, care to elaborate?
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: horribly pretentious art comics?
« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2005, 06:20:05 am »

and I realized my girlfriend was with me, but I didn't make the connection that I was making my girlfriend go into a comicbook store with me

DUDE!  Don't you worry.

She'll drag you to ten thousand times more bead stores than you'll ever see.

Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
Re: horribly pretentious art comics?
« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2005, 06:41:53 am »

Umm, care to elaborate?

By "acquired" I mean "downloaded". By "completely legal means" I mean "BitTorrent". By "bundle" I.. well, actually, I mean bundle.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: horribly pretentious art comics?
« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2005, 06:52:45 am »

Dude, MiniNova is my favourite place on earth.  Thanks for the mention.  Gotta love Batman comics on my PC.

Also, for the record, I owned about half of these in actual comic book form, including an autographed hardcover version of the painted Arkham Asylum graphic novel (although I think it only came out in hardcover at the time).  I put all of my comics on consignment back the last time I moved, and haven't seen a dime from them, but whatever.  I can't live in the past, man.

I think I still have the Sandman trade paperbacks and some essentials like Dark Knight Returns and stuff in the basement somewhere, but I haven't really read any comics but Achewood in a while.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: horribly pretentious art comics?
« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2005, 02:50:32 pm »

Miles: Everyone loves sandman, it is this simple. Obviously starting at the beginning is best (though I myself am yet to read the first trade though I've read the rest) but if you can't find it I'd try season of the mists which draws from established mythology enough that knowledge of the specific sandman mythology is not essential, or possibly World's End which is just some short stories that occur in the same universe, they won't have as much significance for you as if you read them again after the series but they worked pretty well for me.
Actually I just realised world's end has spoilery stuff from the end of the series in there, it's not exactly explicit but obvious enough that you may want to avoid. I almost forgot to mention it because World's End was one of the first sandman trades I read and it dulled my enjoyment not a whit, but your milage may vary on that count so it's something to keep in mind.

Oh I can't believe it took me this long to remember: Bone, go read Bone folks.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up