Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

So now we know who reads the News Box.  Hello Jaydub.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: horribly pretentious art comics?  (Read 8019 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: horribly pretentious art comics?
« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2005, 02:17:54 am »

Miles: Everyone loves sandman, it is this simple. Obviously starting at the beginning is best (though I myself am yet to read the first trade though I've read the rest) but if you can't find it I'd try season of the mists which draws from established mythology enough that knowledge of the specific sandman mythology is not essential, or possibly World's End which is just some short stories that occur in the same universe, they won't have as much significance for you as if you read them again after the series but they worked pretty well for me.
Actually I just realised world's end has spoilery stuff from the end of the series in there, it's not exactly explicit but obvious enough that you may want to avoid. I almost forgot to mention it because World's End was one of the first sandman trades I read and it dulled my enjoyment not a whit, but your milage may vary on that count so it's something to keep in mind.

My friend got me the third volume of Sandman for Christmas (she said the first wasn't there) but I plan to start with the first volume.  I'm excited to get started once I acquire the first one.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: horribly pretentious art comics?
« Reply #31 on: December 23, 2005, 07:25:26 am »

I really liked the second volume, The Doll House (or maybe A Doll's House, or some variation).  It's about some kind of cereal convention.

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: horribly pretentious art comics?
« Reply #32 on: December 23, 2005, 11:27:15 am »

Brief Lives and Kindly Ones are by far my favorites.

Sandman is actually responsible for getting me into comics back when I was a self-righteous fuck... now I'm just sort of self-righteous, so yay for that.
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
Re: horribly pretentious art comics?
« Reply #33 on: December 23, 2005, 10:47:01 pm »

I get an hour lunch-break at my B&N, which means that I immediatly take my name-tag off, go down to the cafe, order some soup (if you are at a Barnes & Nobles cafe and they have potato leek soup, order it immediatly, because it is like god cum) and a Jones Juice  and grab two trade paperback comic collections. I have read all of the Fables books, all of the Marvel Knights Daredevil books, a whole buncha Batman...it is amazing.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: horribly pretentious art comics?
« Reply #34 on: December 23, 2005, 11:42:53 pm »

(if you are at a Barnes & Nobles cafe and they have potato leek soup, order it immediatly, because it is like god cum)

This is the most fascinating simile I've seen used for food in some time.

My first question: monotheistic God, or one god in a polytheistic pantheon? And which would make for better soup?
Logged

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: horribly pretentious art comics?
« Reply #35 on: December 24, 2005, 05:35:56 am »

So... Batman/Grendel? I made it up, then?
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: horribly pretentious art comics?
« Reply #36 on: December 24, 2005, 05:50:37 am »

This is the most fascinating simile I've seen used for food in some time.

My first question: monotheistic God, or one god in a polytheistic pantheon? And which would make for better soup?

A polytheistic god would make the best soup.  Definitly.  How could Kali not make a good soup, I mean, look at her.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: horribly pretentious art comics?
« Reply #37 on: December 24, 2005, 06:21:16 am »

A polytheistic god would make the best soup.  Definitly.  How could Kali not make a good soup, I mean, look at her.

Bones are pretty much a must for a good stock.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

yu-huang

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: -1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 92
    • View Profile
    • xy7htk
Re: horribly pretentious art comics?
« Reply #38 on: December 24, 2005, 02:54:05 pm »

As god soups go, I'd say a good, hearty elephant soup is the way forward here (just kidding, Ganesha ol' buddy...). And in the comics department I'd recommend "Menz Insana" (Vertigo) from Christopher Fowler, pencils by John Bolton. It's bizarre and very sad, being about the alienated mental landscape of the clinically insane. It has some of the creepiest characters I can remember.

I just remembered "7 Miles a Second" by James Romberger based on material provided by the protagonist himself (they were close friends). It's from a Vertigo sub-label called "Vertigo Vérité" and tells the bio of David Wojnarowicz, from an adolescence of street hustling to some mild popularity as painter with street cred on the underground scene of New York and then to his death from AIDS. So, it's about a gay painter from NY who died from AIDS. You can't get more horribly pretentious than this. The comic is extremely good, though.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2005, 06:09:35 pm by yu-huang »
Logged
the ominous finger-pointing of street aggression

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: horribly pretentious art comics?
« Reply #39 on: December 24, 2005, 10:41:26 pm »

Speaking of Vertigo, I also pretty much enjoyed Animal Man.  It is the best example of taking a lame ass character and making him interesting that I had seen even in my historical comic delvings... whatever the hell that means.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2005, 11:22:44 am by misterqueue »
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
Re: horribly pretentious art comics?
« Reply #40 on: December 25, 2005, 12:55:05 am »

Time for a minor total-comics-dork divergence here.

As much as I love Vertigo's reinventions of superheroes, there is one thing about them I can do without: they make comics fans assume that the original sucked without bothering to check. It is just sort of assumed that they must have been "four-color trash", whatever that happens to mean to the individual in question, before the British geniuses got their hands on them.

Animal Man is probably not the best choice for me to leap to the defense of, since he was always pretty goofy. That said, goofy doesn't mean necessarily bad. His early adventures were a lot of fun to read, and if they hadn't been, Morrison would probably have never bothered with him; he specifically asked to reinvent his favorite old character who had fallen into Comics Limbo. To me, it's more irritating in the cases of Swamp Thing and Doom Patrol; Moore and Morrison's respective runs on those were genius comics, but the original runs were also excellent comics that a lot of comics fans automatically discard as Less Than Trash for not being the Vertigo reinventions.

Vertigo eventually made a formula out of miniseries that 'reinvented' minor Silver Age characters by adding experimental layouts and psychological dysfunction. Some of these series were quite good (Human Target) and some were quite bad (Dr. 13), but the effect they mostly shared was to bring the obscure characters into fan consciousness as "wacky old crappy old characters who were redeemed by Vertigo" no matter what the original character's quality might have been.

(Fanboy rant mode: off)

Anyway, Morrison's Animal Man is really good and you should read it. Although the farther you get into the run, the more it relies on certain plot elements from other superhero comics and inspects the state of the industry as a whole at the time. I dunno how accessible that part of the run would be to most readers.
Logged

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: horribly pretentious art comics?
« Reply #41 on: December 25, 2005, 11:23:44 am »

Oh sure, I'm not saying all of the treated Vertigo chars were originally lame, but c'mon... Animal Man was pretty lame originally.

I mean really...

Serious...

Okay, I'm done.
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
Re: horribly pretentious art comics?
« Reply #42 on: December 25, 2005, 03:45:05 pm »

I am uncool even among superhero fans in that I really enjoy superheroes. I don't think weird and kind of goofy equals lame. I can enjoy the really goofy Silver Age stuff in a totally non-ironic way, and think it is fun to read. Was original Animal Man great literature? No, not really. Was it good comics and fun to read? Yes, I think so.
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: horribly pretentious art comics?
« Reply #43 on: December 25, 2005, 06:08:46 pm »

I am uncool even among superhero fans in that I really enjoy superheroes.

The concept of being uncool in a fandom for actually enjoying that fandom is one of the saddest things. The fact that it's so broadly applicable to so many fandoms is another. When did it become uncool to like stuff?
Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up