Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood If Twain were alive today, he would guffaw despite his benevolent befuddlement.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10   Go Down

Author Topic: I demand a bio-pic for Freddy Mercury!  (Read 47344 times)

0 Members and 8 Guests are viewing this topic.

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: I demand a bio-pic for Freddy Mercury!
« Reply #90 on: January 22, 2010, 10:04:25 pm »

i never knew christian bale was british until i watched the special features for 'the prestige'.

Fun fact: Where he's from is called Hwlffordd.

Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: I demand a bio-pic for Freddy Mercury!
« Reply #91 on: January 22, 2010, 10:10:00 pm »

OMG, Christian Bale is British?

That's very nearly as shocking as when I found out Lily Tomlin is gay.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: I demand a bio-pic for Freddy Mercury!
« Reply #92 on: January 22, 2010, 10:13:03 pm »

OMG, Christian Bale is British?

That's very nearly as shocking as when I found out Lily Tomlin is gay.

He's a lot sexier now eh  8)

Edit: Does he do a British accent in any film whatsoever bar the Prestige?
« Last Edit: January 22, 2010, 10:18:24 pm by Drygioni »
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: I demand a bio-pic for Freddy Mercury!
« Reply #93 on: January 22, 2010, 10:49:17 pm »

Fun fact: Where he's from is called Hwlffordd.

Did they donate all their vowels to Bosnia?
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

oball

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 128
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 507
  • In excess of seven ding dongs
    • View Profile
Re: I demand a bio-pic for Freddy Mercury!
« Reply #94 on: January 23, 2010, 12:00:43 am »

Does he do a British accent in any film whatsoever bar the Prestige?

Empire of the Sun?
Logged
Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: I demand a bio-pic for Freddy Mercury!
« Reply #95 on: January 23, 2010, 03:07:07 am »

he has a very good american accent.  just like huge ackman.  i had seen several of his films before i ever heard him being interviewed on some tv show.  when i heard his natural accent, i was all,  :o.

its seems there are a few british actors that can pull off an american accent well, but there arent as many americans that can do convincing british accents.  unless my memory is failing me at the moment.....
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: I demand a bio-pic for Freddy Mercury!
« Reply #96 on: January 23, 2010, 03:29:50 am »

Hugh Laurie, of course, does a fabulous American accent, and is also hot and sexxay.

John Barrowman (Jack Harkness of Torchwood) also does an excellent 'merican, but he lived in Illinois from the time he was nine, so I don't think that counts. Also hot, and gay as the day is long. Apparently he was turned down for the part of "Will" in "Will and Grace" for being "too straight," so they went with the swishy straight guy instead.

There you go, your Dr. Who-niverse trivia for the day, courtesy of your friendly neighborhood newly-obsessed rabid fangirl.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

oball

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 128
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 507
  • In excess of seven ding dongs
    • View Profile
Re: I demand a bio-pic for Freddy Mercury!
« Reply #97 on: January 23, 2010, 03:34:05 am »

John Barrowman also has what is possibly the best ad-lib in cinema history.
Logged
Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise

Victoria Waterfield

  • Molly
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 336
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 739
  • FUCK YOU, MIKE!
    • View Profile
Re: I demand a bio-pic for Freddy Mercury!
« Reply #98 on: January 23, 2010, 03:38:48 am »

John Barrowman (Jack Harkness of Torchwood) also does an excellent 'merican, but he lived in Illinois from the time he was nine, so I don't think that counts.

In fact, he doesn't "do" an American accent, he's actually "bidialectal". I saw an interview with him once somewhere where he explained that when he's in Scotland he goes back to his original Scottish accent, but elsewhere he tend to use the American accent.
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: I demand a bio-pic for Freddy Mercury!
« Reply #99 on: January 23, 2010, 03:51:53 am »

In fact, he doesn't "do" an American accent, he's actually "bidialectal". I saw an interview with him once somewhere where he explained that when he's in Scotland he goes back to his original Scottish accent, but elsewhere he tend to use the American accent.

Right as usual. He apparently adopted a Mid-Atlantic accent because the kids at school made fun of his native Scottish. Which I rather imagine is like the way I say "y'all" at home in Raleigh but switch to "you guys" the instant I cross the Mason-Dixon line, except more extreme.

Still, he lives in Cardiff now. Does the British dialect not trigger his Scottish just a bit? I understand that Hugh Laurie has trouble keeping his American accent when Steven Fry comes to visit. (Ref: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7k-T8S0lEwQ at ~1:00.) Fascinating.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: I demand a bio-pic for Freddy Mercury!
« Reply #100 on: January 23, 2010, 04:01:20 am »

all these guys' american accents are better than mel gibson's
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: I demand a bio-pic for Freddy Mercury!
« Reply #101 on: January 23, 2010, 05:08:15 am »

Sometimes it is utterly baffling, the whole accents thing.

To recall an earlier topic in this thread: Bowie playing Tesla? Surely an actual Austrian-accented actor would suit just as well, it's not as if he was a major character in the film or a big draw. If anything he detracted from the experience; LOOK IT'S DAVID BOWIE OH CHRIST HE'S DOING AN ACCENT OH LOOK IT STILL SOUNDS JUST LIKE HIM

Glad that in Inglourious Basterds for example one of the main characters (and easily the best one) is played by an actual German and everyone speaks German. People can read subtitles and still enjoy a film, rather than some Valkyrie style Tom Cruised-mess.

Accents.
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: I demand a bio-pic for Freddy Mercury!
« Reply #102 on: January 23, 2010, 06:03:35 am »

i liked bowie as tesla, but mainly because i think he's a good actor.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: I demand a bio-pic for Freddy Mercury!
« Reply #103 on: January 23, 2010, 06:05:13 am »

so the consensus is, he played the part well, but he could have studied/practiced more with the dialect coach.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: I demand a bio-pic for Freddy Mercury!
« Reply #104 on: January 23, 2010, 04:22:05 pm »

Pedro mentioned, while we were discussing this last night, that Anthony Hopkins does a very good British accent. I told him I thought that this was because he's actually British, and that in reality he does a very good American accent. So. pop quiz time: who was right?

(Highlight for answer:) I was right: he's Welsh.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10   Go Up