Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Making money from art is not vulgar. Art is a commodity. It makes people feel something. It raises the greater sum of human happiness. It increases the gaiety of the nation. It has a value. -John Allison

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10   Go Down

Author Topic: I demand a bio-pic for Freddy Mercury!  (Read 47301 times)

0 Members and 12 Guests are viewing this topic.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: I demand a bio-pic for Freddy Mercury!
« Reply #120 on: January 25, 2010, 01:13:01 am »

australian and english can be difficult to distinguish, often depending on the vocabulary involved. scottish accents sound completely different. the first time i heard an afrikaans accent i was completely flummoxed. it's like kiwi married austrian.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: I demand a bio-pic for Freddy Mercury!
« Reply #121 on: January 25, 2010, 01:36:26 am »

I've got a weird accent to begin with though, not typically australian, I tend to get asked if I'm canadian or irish, but generally not from people who are from those places.
I have a hopelessly muddy accent.  Learned to speak in the US upper midwest, primary education in NSW, secondary in California (where I tried hard to lose the foreign sounds).  People know I'm "not from around here", but no one can place where I sound like I'm from.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

oball

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 128
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 507
  • In excess of seven ding dongs
    • View Profile
Re: I demand a bio-pic for Freddy Mercury!
« Reply #122 on: January 25, 2010, 01:48:04 am »

different regional aussie accents

There are regional Aussie accents?  I always assumed the main difference was bogan/non-bogan.
Logged
Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: I demand a bio-pic for Freddy Mercury!
« Reply #123 on: January 25, 2010, 01:51:56 am »

A lot of Americans have trouble with Australian vs. British, but I've learned the difference after being browbeaten by my BFF (who has an ear for such things and spent 6 years living in Europe). I can't tell Aussie from New Zealand. Irish and Scottish most Americans can tell from the other dialects.

Afrikaans sounded a lot like Australian to me, but the last time I heard it spoken was a good ten years ago and my ear was far less trained at that time.


It does annoy me sometimes when people use the term 'British accent'. You've got this this (Jay-ell you'll like that one) this this this this and it literally differs every 10 miles. People can tell which village I'm from in the local area

It's fine saying 'he's got a British accent' or whatever but when people are like 'I'm imitating a British accent' and then just speak like the Queen it fucks me off no end


It's the same in the US. Northwestern Ohio, where I grew up, has a type of accent that is distinct from the Michigan accent, which is different from that heard in Columbus OH, which is very different (to my ear) from the Cincinnati accent, which is similar to but still distinct from how they speak across the river in Kentucky. In Michigan, you've got at least 3 accents: rural south, Detroit, and Upper Peninsula. And even within a city -- Detroit, for instance -- the white people who live there speak significantly differently from their black and Hispanic neighbors; the accent is based as much on culture and social class as anything else. So yeah, "American accent" is remarkably reductive, but it serves its purpose for discussions like these.

Unfortunately, 97% of the people in the US who claim to be able to imitate a "British" accent are between the ages of 14 and 20, and their main exposure to European culture has come in the form of repeated viewings of "Monty Python and the Holy Grail." It's tragic, really.

Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

oball

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 128
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 507
  • In excess of seven ding dongs
    • View Profile
Re: I demand a bio-pic for Freddy Mercury!
« Reply #124 on: January 25, 2010, 01:54:30 am »

I can't tell Aussie from New Zealand.

Handy hint: Australians are the ones who can pronounce vowels properly.

As for Seth Efrican, just watch District 9.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 02:01:50 am by oball »
Logged
Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: I demand a bio-pic for Freddy Mercury!
« Reply #125 on: January 25, 2010, 02:06:45 am »

to me, australian accent seems proper-sounding, yet redneck-ish at the same time.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: I demand a bio-pic for Freddy Mercury!
« Reply #126 on: January 25, 2010, 06:19:00 am »

There are regional Aussie accents?  I always assumed the main difference was bogan/non-bogan.

There's that too and I'd say rural areas tend to have stronger accents but there's regional stuff too, it's easier for me just to tell that someone isn't from Queensland, but if pressed I'd probably be able to tell a Sydney accent from a SA one, for instance. I guess it's usage as much as accent.

As for Seth Efrican, just watch District 9.

Fookin A.

South African always makes me think New Zealand but more clipped.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: I demand a bio-pic for Freddy Mercury!
« Reply #127 on: January 26, 2010, 01:00:18 am »

i used to get love letters from a girl that lives in Brissie.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: I demand a bio-pic for Freddy Mercury!
« Reply #128 on: January 26, 2010, 06:28:56 am »

Were they written in crayola and speckled with sand?
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: I demand a bio-pic for Freddy Mercury!
« Reply #129 on: January 26, 2010, 02:14:14 pm »

Were they written in crayola and speckled with sand?

i dont know enough, in particular, to get that joke.

also, they were not written in crayon or speckled with sand, but a few were perfumed.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: I demand a bio-pic for Freddy Mercury!
« Reply #130 on: June 09, 2011, 06:14:23 pm »

It was interesting to read this and find no love for Bale in The Machinist*.

Also, Queen is one of my favorite bands. Top five, probably. My favorite song is Get Down, Make Love (coincidentally covered by Nine Inch Nails*).

As for the biopic, I think this is a disaster of biblical proportions.

*Bale plays a character based, at least in part, on Trent Reznor.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: I demand a bio-pic for Freddy Mercury!
« Reply #131 on: June 11, 2011, 03:49:05 am »

I like the idea of a biopic where Sacha Baron-Cohen plays Mercury, and this guy is Brian May.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: I demand a bio-pic for Freddy Mercury!
« Reply #132 on: June 11, 2011, 06:16:06 am »

I like the idea of a biopic where Sacha Baron-Cohen plays Mercury, and this guy is Brian May.

That guy's not making any friends.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2011, 07:13:36 pm by Nabubrush »
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: I demand a bio-pic for Freddy Mercury!
« Reply #133 on: June 11, 2011, 07:59:01 am »

That sounded just like Brian May.  ha ha...

Actually, I think that guy is being serious, but he's wrong on both things he says.  May uses a delay, but it's not a chumpy ass digital delay like this dude is using it's an Echoplex.  I think he's confusing the fact that Brian May uses the echoplex to great effect on songs like Brighton Rock and many other songs in which he creates a rich guitar orchestra sound via studio overdubs.  Good examples of this technique would be the guitar solo on Millionaire Waltz and Dreamer's Ball.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: I demand a bio-pic for Freddy Mercury!
« Reply #134 on: June 11, 2011, 05:46:12 pm »

Well, I don't know shit about guitar yet, but I just listened to "Best Friend" and it seemed like there were some harmonics going on in that.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10   Go Up