Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood The bus is crossing Klickitat St., home of Ramona Quimby. It's pretty swank these days. No sign of Nosmo King.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: God Bless Ye Merry Gentlepeople  (Read 2563 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
God Bless Ye Merry Gentlepeople
« on: December 21, 2005, 06:18:59 am »

I don't want to mention people by name unless they want to be mentioned, but thank you to those who dropped a little holiday cheer into the tip jar.  I will use the money to buy christmas gifts for needy children to repay some of my karmic debt, like that Earl guy.

Well, that, and enough hooch to last through the new year.

sjlimmer

  • Illegal Ghost Bikes
  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 317
  • Insert witty remark here...
    • View Profile
Re: God Bless Ye Merry Gentlepeople
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2005, 06:31:08 pm »

Well, that, and enough hooch to last through the new year.

Christmas spirit from christmas spirits?  Good call.
Logged
"That's because you're a mean drunk, and nobody loves you."

robot_roll_call

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 331
  • That's one o!
    • View Profile
Re: God Bless Ye Merry Gentlepeople
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2005, 12:30:32 am »

Christmas spirit from christmas spirits?  Good call.

I bet he'll be "visited" by a lot more than 3 in one night, too.
Logged
Did you know that Achewood is literary.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: God Bless Ye Merry Gentlepeople
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2005, 04:58:22 am »

...like that Earl guy.

I just recently downloaded the first 10 episodes, and  I've enjoyed watching them.  I remember, I think, Paul saying the show was good, but I never can stand sitcoms so I didn't bother.  But a while ago I was looking for the most recent Veronica Mars episode, and, bummed that it won't be on again for a while, went looking for another show to kill some time, and it was a good find.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: God Bless Ye Merry Gentlepeople
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2005, 06:46:49 am »

Yeah, I got hooked on Veronica Mars by downloading it (illegally!) although I also rented the first season on DVD for the bonus features.  It's my new favourite show.

Then I started DLing Desperate Housewives, which I also watch regularly now.

I think My Name is Earl is a pretty good show.  It's not a classic or anything, but it's the best they got this season.

I'm looking forward to Scrubs returning in January, even if the last couple of seasons haven't really been so great.

And 24 is always fun, just to see the ridiculous peril they can put the world in not just every season, or every episode, but every commercial break.  There should be an award for "Most Cliff-Hangers in a Single Episode of a Series" because 24 would win it.

I also highly recommend the new Battlestar Galactica, even if you don't like sci-fi, because it's really well written and dare I say realistic (as realistic as a show about space battles with androids can be).  Also, highly relevant to our current political situation.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: God Bless Ye Merry Gentlepeople
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2005, 01:02:38 pm »

Yeah, I got hooked on Veronica Mars by downloading it (illegally!) although I also rented the first season on DVD for the bonus features.  It's my new favourite show.

Are the bonus features worth it?  Because I hate renting TV shows.  I love Veronica Mars, but I don't know if I love it enough to buy it on DVD.

Quote from: jough
Then I started DLing Desperate Housewives, which I also watch regularly now.

It's worth it if only for Eva Longoria.  Although I don't watch in regularly.  Soon, though, I will look for a torrent that has every episode this season so far.  Nip/Tuck, too.

Quote from: jough
And 24 is always fun, just to see the ridiculous peril they can put the world in not just every season, or every episode, but every commercial break.  There should be an award for "Most Cliff-Hangers in a Single Episode of a Series" because 24 would win it.

Yeah, excited for this.  Prison Break made a valiant effort to be a beginning of the season substitute, but it doesn't even come near to 24's dread factor.

Quote from: jough
I also highly recommend the new Battlestar Galactica, even if you don't like sci-fi, because it's really well written and dare I say realistic (as realistic as a show about space battles with androids can be).  Also, highly relevant to our current political situation.

Have you (or has anyone) watched Firefly?  I just saw Serenity and loved it, and just downloaded the first season of Firefly.  I haven't watched it yet, but I'm sure it will be great.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: God Bless Ye Merry Gentlepeople
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2005, 02:49:48 pm »

I like Battlestar Galatica but can't quite get over the fact that the evil(?) commander of the new Battlestar is Ensign Ro.

My SO watches Veronica Mars and says I would like it but I just haven't gotten around to it. Good theme song though. I especially like the mashup with Intergalactic.

Firefly was OK but I liked Farscape better. I guess I just can't get into Joss Whedon's style.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: God Bless Ye Merry Gentlepeople
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2005, 03:02:38 pm »

People, stop changing the subject.  Send Jough money.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: God Bless Ye Merry Gentlepeople
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2005, 03:52:12 pm »

Have you (or has anyone) watched Firefly?  I just saw Serenity and loved it, and just downloaded the first season of Firefly.  I haven't watched it yet, but I'm sure it will be great.

I like Firefly, but I'll just warn you: a lot of the plot developments in Serenity are not actually set up in the series at all, and many of the plot elements set up in Firefly are not resolved in Serenity. The series also tends to be significantly more Western than Sci-Fi, which the film was not. That said, if you liked Serenity you'll probably like Firefly just fine.

Anyway, I would like to send Jough money, but right now I am hell of broke. Maybe after recovery from the holidays.
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: God Bless Ye Merry Gentlepeople
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2005, 06:38:46 pm »

My nice little post about how much I love jough just disappeared. Seems if I sit idle too long my posts disappear.  Damn it.

Okay, so in point form, here is what I had to say:

jough:

- I am horribly poor, especially since some bastard broke into our truck by bashing in the passenger window. (A $500 deductable to pay?  Fuck, that's three times as much as I paid for my entire families' Christmas presents.)

- though I am poor, you deserve much love.  Yay jough. 

- tiny cans of dr. pepper are not enough.

- I have access to my offices' mail room which means I can mail out small items for free.

- I am arty and can make you a nice present.

- I would like to mail you (jough) some handmade gifts as a means of thanking you, and seem to remember you having a post office box.  Can you let me know your p.o. box address and also any favorite quotes from writers you like?  These quotes may or may not be used in the creation of said gifts.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: God Bless Ye Merry Gentlepeople
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2005, 02:13:26 am »

The series also tends to be significantly more Western than Sci-Fi, which the film was not. That said, if you liked Serenity you'll probably like Firefly just fine.

This might be good for me, as I'm not really into Sci-Fi anyway.  I have all the episodes, I just need to watch them

Quote from: CortJstr
Firefly was OK but I liked Farscape better. I guess I just can't get into Joss Whedon's style.

I still need to check out Farscape.

It's funny because I never got into Buffy and never even bothered with Angel, but I loved Serenity.  I feel like I need to give at least Buffy another chance.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Re: God Bless Ye Merry Gentlepeople
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2005, 11:42:39 am »


It's funny because I never got into Buffy and never even bothered with Angel, but I loved Serenity.  I feel like I need to give at least Buffy another chance.

I've said it many times, but if you watch Firefly, then the commentary on the last episode Joss does, then go and watch Buffy, it makes it a whole lot better. Once you know just how much he puts into everything he does it shows you a whole new level that it's too easy to overlook in the shows. I used to like it, then got bored with it, but have since become a really big Whedon fan.

Ugh. Browncoat mode off.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
Re: God Bless Ye Merry Gentlepeople
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2005, 10:35:10 pm »

I would like to mail you (jough) some handmade gifts as a means of thanking you, and seem to remember you having a post office box.  Can you let me know your p.o. box address and also any favorite quotes from writers you like?  These quotes may or may not be used in the creation of said gifts.

I just realized why he's got a post office box- the dude lives in an Arctic Fortress of Solitude. Did you ever notice a mailbox at Superman's fortress? Nay! So he's gotta go into town to pick up his mail!
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!
Pages: [1]   Go Up