Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood C:\> Get on the Night Train. || You are on the Night Train. There is an Axl Rose here.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: People of Gravity  (Read 17488 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

robot_roll_call

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 331
  • That's one o!
    • View Profile
People of Gravity
« on: December 19, 2005, 11:59:33 pm »

This topic was split from this one.


Yes, sorry I meant to comment on this movie.  Didn't hate it, but I can't recommend it.  It goes on way too long, they overplay the relationship between the ape and the girl and they change the story in one very significant way that ruins one of the more powerful scenes from the original.

~Paul

Which scene was that?

I actually thought that changing the relationship dynamic was an interesting path for the movie to take to differentiate itself from the original. Plus it allowed for the frozen pond scene, which I was expecting to be cheesy but turned out to be my favorite scene in the film. It makes the inevitable ending hit a lot harder. But yeah, it got pretty sappy at points.

Related anecdote: the cow sitting asked to me asked outloud during the finale "Is that the Sears Tower?" Is that the SEARS TOWER? What the HELL people. I thought that the fact that Kong climbed the Empire State Building was gentically encoded into all persons born after 1933.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2005, 05:19:40 pm by jough »
Logged
Did you know that Achewood is literary.

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
People of Gravity
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2005, 12:55:07 am »

You lose a dr. pepper and your refill privileges for calling someone a cow. And don't come running your hand into my popcorn bucket unless you want it audibly smacked.
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
People of Gravity
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2005, 01:05:17 am »

You lose a dr. pepper and your refill privileges for calling someone a cow. And don't come running your hand into my popcorn bucket unless you want it audibly smacked.

...Because Jorge borrowed Mickey Rourke's popcorn container from Diner.
Logged

robot_roll_call

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 331
  • That's one o!
    • View Profile
People of Gravity
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2005, 03:26:28 am »

The worst part is that your avatar actually made me feel ashamed like I was getting a real  Punishment.

I'm sorry. I will not call ignorant fat women cows anymore. I will write it on the board 100 times.

But come on. The Sears Tower?
Logged
Did you know that Achewood is literary.

V-Adore

  • Guest
People of Gravity
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2005, 03:57:06 am »

The worst part is that your avatar actually made me feel ashamed like I was getting a real  Punishment.

I'm sorry. I will not call ignorant fat women cows anymore. I will write it on the board 100 times.

But come on. The Sears Tower?

I think it's just a question of relative class. Even if, by some objective standard, a person deserves to be called a cow, one never seems classier (or to be in the moral right) if one actually calls such a person a cow. Better to say "the majestically ignorant lady next to me" or some such.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
People of Gravity
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2005, 04:04:27 am »

I think it's just a question of relative class. Even if, by some objective standard, a person deserves to be called a cow, one never seems classier (or to be in the moral right) if one actually calls such a person a cow. Better to say "the majestically ignorant lady next to me" or some such.

Huh.  I just figured JorgeFabregas was upset because he was Hindu.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
People of Gravity
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2005, 07:32:23 am »

V-Adore wins a delicious beverage and an upgrade on her refill privileges. She's now down on the list for a +1 and can bring a date or friend to the fountain.
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
People of Gravity
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2005, 06:47:09 pm »

I think it's just a question of relative class. Even if, by some objective standard, a person deserves to be called a cow, one never seems classier (or to be in the moral right) if one actually calls such a person a cow. Better to say "the majestically ignorant lady next to me" or some such.

If she's Big AND Horny can I call her a cow?
Logged

Lister

  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 101
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 892
  • 2, 4, 6, 8, time to transubstantiate!
    • View Profile
People of Gravity
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2005, 10:02:16 pm »

If she's Big AND Horny can I call her a cow?

Only if she gives you and three other people milk.

People or baby cows.

There needs to be an agreed-upon term for ladies who are not able to prevent themselves from vocalizing random thoughts at inappropriate times/volumes.  I'm not clever enough to come up with it, though.
Logged
Lister.  Not that one, the other one.

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
People of Gravity
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2005, 10:36:15 pm »

I knew a large guy who was similar when watching movies. He kept a running commentary of munday, stating-the-obvious commentary during all movies "Oh, I hate you. You are such an asshole." to the bad guy, etc. etc. I don't think size is really the common factor here, though.
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

V-Adore

  • Guest
People of Gravity
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2005, 02:13:29 am »

Only if she gives you and three other people milk.

People or baby cows.

There needs to be an agreed-upon term for ladies who are not able to prevent themselves from vocalizing random thoughts at inappropriate times/volumes.  I'm not clever enough to come up with it, though.

Well, you could just call them rude. I mean, this is a word used for other people who speak in theaters; I don't see why ladies of gravity somehow earn more livestock-based insults for the same behavior.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
People of Gravity
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2005, 02:29:54 am »

JorgeFabregas--
size is exactly the factor.
The slender are at peace with a world where they can always fit into small spaces.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
People of Gravity
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2005, 03:15:00 am »

The slender are at peace with a world where they can always fit into small spaces.

I call bull on this. I've recently become slender, and now people keep stuffing me into carry-on bins and mini-fridges!
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

V-Adore

  • Guest
People of Gravity
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2005, 03:34:29 am »

JorgeFabregas--
size is exactly the factor.
The slender are at peace with a world where they can always fit into small spaces.

Yeah, and the gravity-having are at peace with a world where they can push the slender into those small spaces. Y'all can find your niche in the world; I'll take the center, thanks.
Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
People of Gravity
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2005, 08:02:52 am »

Yeah, and the gravity-having are at peace with a world where they can push the slender into those small spaces. Y'all can find your niche in the world; I'll take the center, thanks.

As long as you don't spill into my personal space, like on an airplane or a bus or subway or movie theater and particularly if you don't have the attititude that you somehow have the absolute right to take up space that I paid for, I don't care. But when beefy flesh with that savory whiff of fermenting fold-sweat is pushed up against me, against my will and in my space, I get offended pretty quick.

Being a person of gravity is one thing but there are limits to what people should have to put up with.
Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up