Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Wombat changed her avatar back and no one noticed. Her feelings are hurt.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Seven deer just ran across my yard.  (Read 4031 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Seven deer just ran across my yard.
« on: December 22, 2005, 03:41:25 pm »

Deer sightings are almost a daily occurrence around here, but this one was a little odder than most.

My computer is in front of a window that faces the "big field" -- about an acre.  Our road runs alongside it and there's a cow pasture across the road.

One by one the deer jumped the fence from the pasture, crossed the road, trotted across my yard and ran off into the field on the other side of me.  The last one had a little trouble and probably got scraped up by the barbed wire on top of the fence.

Two were left in the cow pasture.  One was obviously young and didn't look to be able to make the fence jump.  These two ran around the field looking for a way out.  How did they get in?  They were on the far side of the field when I came inside.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Seven deer just ran across my yard.
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2005, 03:46:15 pm »

This sounds more like a logic puzzle than I'm entirely comfortable with.

That said, hooray for wildlife.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Seven deer just ran across my yard.
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2005, 04:57:52 am »

Hey, Eagle Scout, aren't you supposed to always be prepared?

Doesn't your phone have a camera?

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Seven deer just ran across my yard.
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2005, 05:31:34 am »

My new phone that I got yesterday does.

My camera was actually within arms reach of me on my desk at the time.  This took all of about 9 seconds to happen.  By the time I'd removed the camera from the case, turned it on and set up the shot the deer would have been in Cincy and I wouldn't have seen them. 

Also, they were at least 150 yards away and there's a window between me and them.  Wouldn't have worked.

I do have some great racoon shots though, if you're interested.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Seven deer just ran across my yard.
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2005, 09:06:32 am »

I do have some great racoon shots though, if you're interested.
You have to ask?

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Seven deer just ran across my yard.
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2005, 02:14:52 pm »

I do have some great racoon shots though, if you're interested.

Why does this sound vaguely obscene?  Just cause it's the internet I guess?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Seven deer just ran across my yard.
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2005, 03:22:06 pm »

Here you go:

Coon1
Coon2
Coon3

I noticed him eating cat food through the kitchen door.  The pictures I took from there were blurry.  I went around to the dining room and was able to slide down the window and hang out without disturbing him.  Actually, he was pretty fearless.  Turning on the porchlight, opening the window, the camera flash -- none of that bothered him.  And when he did notice me he only ran off about 10 feet then came back about 2 minutes later.

These pictures are kind of big. ~850K
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Seven deer just ran across my yard.
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2005, 06:06:18 pm »

Awesome.

I kind of like raccoons, even though I know I probably shouldn't. They're just remarkable animals.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Seven deer just ran across my yard.
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2005, 06:30:41 pm »

I have some great squirrel shots, of course in analogue format (and I'm far too lazy to scan all of my old photos like I keep meaning to).

Great 'coon shots, although I hope Google doesn't bring us the White Supremacist surfer now.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Seven deer just ran across my yard.
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2005, 05:01:52 am »

That's a nice looking coon.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Seven deer just ran across my yard.
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2005, 04:43:07 pm »

Why does this sound vaguely obscene?  Just cause it's the internet I guess?

Just be glad there are no beavers hanging out on AW's deck.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Seven deer just ran across my yard.
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2005, 02:54:30 am »

Squirrel shots, now that's pornographic.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Tangle

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 102
  • hurry boy, she's waiting there for you
    • View Profile
    • She was born on 2 June 2006.
Re: Seven deer just ran across my yard.
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2006, 12:29:26 pm »

A squrrel bit me on the big toe when I was a kid. True story, that.

Sadly, I have no pictures of the incident.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Seven deer just ran across my yard.
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2006, 04:07:51 pm »

Squirrel porn.  Christian porn.  Paul, is there anything that isn't pornographic to you, at least potentially so?
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Seven deer just ran across my yard.
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2006, 04:25:04 pm »

Squirrel porn.  Christian porn.  Paul, is there anything that isn't pornographic to you, at least potentially so?

My Sainted Mother, for one.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up