Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I had to look up how pi is derived. It has been sixteen years since the SAT, yet still, I feel very ashamed

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: We Love Katamari  (Read 4417 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
We Love Katamari
« on: December 24, 2005, 05:58:35 pm »

A few days short of a year ago we got the original Katamari Damacy for Christmas.  I've been rolled up ever since.  I got We Love Katamari for my birthday and am now trying to roll up 1,000,000 roses.  Since we had substantial interest in all things Katamari in an earlier thread, what do the usual suspects think about We Love Katamari?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
Re: We Love Katamari
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2005, 07:06:20 pm »

We <3 Katamari is nothing short of rad. Some of the stages are incredibly frustrating but on the whole I have to call it a winner. The biggest irritation I have with it (other than the damned fireflies) is the slow-as-dirt turning; using the jump-over-the-ball instant turnaround is almost a necessity. On the other hand, the understeering has the side effect of making dashes much more controllable, giving the dash ability more utility, so.. you win some, you lose some? Or something.

I want to give the new two-player modes a spin, but being a sad and lonely man I haven't gotten the chance.
Logged

robot_roll_call

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 331
  • That's one o!
    • View Profile
Re: We Love Katamari
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2005, 04:58:45 am »

Two player with your SO or someone you love is not advised, especially since there is no onscreen indicator of who is doing what.

"Quit turning left!"

"I wasn't! You were!"

"No, you were! You're ruining it!"

"We just missed the crab wearing rollerskates! I HATE YOU!"

On the other hand, it gives you more leeway for two people, so all is forgiven after the round is over.

I love all the theme levels. In particular just DESTROYING that candy house, and the firefly level. It's so relaxing.
Logged
Did you know that Achewood is literary.

Va

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 7
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 435
    • View Profile
    • http://posdef.net
Re: We Love Katamari
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2006, 04:24:44 pm »

I <3 We <3 Katamari.  It makes my daughter whoop in delight every time she sees the King of all Cosmos and hears his funky fresh wax scratchin' voice.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: We Love Katamari
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2006, 05:20:51 pm »

Hey Va!  Nice to see you around these parts.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: We Love Katamari
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2006, 05:38:12 pm »

Good lord!  I remember when that baby was in your womb!  In your womb!

I want both the Katamari games so bad, but of course that would be buying the actual system too, so no dice.  Are they going to come out with a PS Uber, so that the PS 2 goes down in price to the point where I can buy one without sadness?
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Re: We Love Katamari
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2006, 09:12:51 pm »

Are they going to come out with a PS Uber, so that the PS 2 goes down in price to the point where I can buy one without sadness?

Yes, but not for another, ooooooooooooh... 6 months at the very least.
I haven't even got round to checking whether it's out in Europe yet, though I played it a friends. I am more in want to play through Shadow of the Colossus again though.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: We Love Katamari
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2006, 01:39:30 am »

thread....RESURRECTION! Almost in time for Easter, too! heh. Anyway. I just got my copies of Katamari Damacy and We Love Katamari back from a lady that I work with. I have been playing them...well, let's just say an unhealthy amount per day. I cannot believe how much I love that silly game. The noise that it makes every time I pick up an object is just addictive. I love picking up things like chopsticks or street signs to see how it will throw my Katamari off balance! Anyway, I have lowered myself to the level of a lab rat, but I still love that damn game.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: We Love Katamari
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2006, 01:56:48 am »

Hello, my name is Frank and I am a Katamari addict.

Just this past week I went back and started KD from scratch.  Been playing WLK pretty much since it came out (~165,000 roses).   Surprisingly, WLK made me a better KD player.  On Make the Moon I spend about the last 90 seconds idle because there was nothing left to pick up.

The entire feeling, outlook, attitude, gesalt of those games is just so positive and right.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
Re: We Love Katamari
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2006, 03:31:00 am »

I haven't played We <3 Katamari much since completing the million roses. I should get back to it when I'm not having freakouts.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: We Love Katamari
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2006, 04:01:38 am »

I haven't played We <3 Katamari much since completing the million roses. I should get back to it when I'm not having freakouts.

You got a million roses?  How did you do it?  I get bored to easily. 

What happens when you get a million?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: We Love Katamari
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2006, 04:02:15 am »

You start all over again.

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
Re: We Love Katamari
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2006, 06:55:11 am »

You got a million roses?  How did you do it?  I get bored to easily. 

What happens when you get a million?

The little spinning star on a couple of loading screens becomes a little spinning rose, some roses grow in the stage-select meadow, the title screen changes from We <3 Katamari to A Million Roses (I think; it might be One Million Roses) and a bonus track appears in the sound test. It is not much reward for a long and boring thing to do, but then again you weren't promised anything special.

Also, as you increase your rose count the King expresses increasing degrees of disbelief in your patience, the lonely rose gets bigger and its dialog changes some.

As for how I did it, I confess that I only actually got about a tenth of the roses myself. Mostly I reloaded the stage until it came up the ice rink, rubber-banded the joysticks into position, and left it running while I was doing other stuff on my computer. Since I didn't want to miss any messages, I didn't leave it running overnight, but if you do that it'll go faster. This method is considerably slower than rolling up all the roses yourself but is much less likely to make you curse the heavens.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: We Love Katamari
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2006, 06:06:06 pm »

this game makes me want a ps2.

AGH
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: We Love Katamari
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2006, 12:30:16 am »

I bought WLK a week after I hit a slot machine in Atlantic City and was looking for something to spend money on.  I played it about two hours and haven't picked it up since.

If I can get through studying these two sections on pathology, maybe I will pick the game up tonight.

Or maybe I should go buy the new MLB...
Logged
ACHIEVE
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up