Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Have some dignity.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: What did Santa get you?  (Read 14652 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
What did Santa get you?
« on: December 25, 2005, 06:28:27 pm »

Merry Christmas, kids.

Was Santa Claus good to you all?  What'd you get?

I am playing with my shiny new 300Gb USB2 external hard drive.  Whee.  Also, some DVDs various gift cards to Best Buy and Circuit City are sitting on my desk.  The SSO has also arranged a vacation in Paris for New Year's.

I was more happy this year about what I got for my people.  I had a pretty good year so I was able to get some decent Christmas gifts to engender wonder and delight in the hearts of those I love.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: What did Santa get you?
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2005, 07:08:09 pm »

In terms of the big-ticket things, I got a digital camera and (while this is not big-ticket, it's greatly helpful and appreciated) a thumb drive. Otherwise, it was mostly books and CDs, the highlight of which was the TMBG Venue Songs Holiday Pack. I now have so much new TMBG I don't even know where to start.

I did enjoy giving more than receiving this year, really. It's a great feeling to realize you got someone just the perfect thing, especially when it wasn't a direct request. (My family has always been big on just asking for what we want, so successful surprises are all kinds of excellent.)
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: What did Santa get you?
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2005, 08:27:22 pm »

Santa got me a new job and I got to quit my old job.  Although since the new job's only temporary, I'll have to ask for another one for my birthday.  Or maybe after the Christmas rush is over, Santa could convince someone to quit or retire.  I got the job because two people broke bones, but it seems like rather bad karma to ask for another one of them to break something.

And on the more worldly side I got amazing chocolate from here: www.chuaochocolatier.com

And all the sparkly little Dr Peppers!
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What did Santa get you?
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2005, 08:57:50 pm »

yayy
I got a digital camera, which is wonderful. and cds, dvds, and a nice shirt.
my girlfriend's parents got her a camera which, as far as I can tell, is the greatest digital camera ever produced. she is going to have to get insurance on it. it is insanely nice.

I gave my dad a book on James Taylor, which made him laugh so hard. The reason that he laughed: he knows that I hate James Taylor very much.

I also got a borders gift card, which I will use to buy the Pixies book. And maybe a cd.

so. Merry Christmas!
I managed to fall almost asleep reading a book about Judaism the night before christmas, so I think I win the "reason for the season" award.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
Re: What did Santa get you?
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2005, 05:43:44 am »

Hopefully, by next week I'll be rocking a new 120 gig drive in the ol' workhoss laptop here- I'll finally be able to rip those Talking Heads CD's, and the CD's I got for X-mas (2 Mountain Goats, 2 Guided by Voices). Add a few books and DVDs, plus the obligatory "I'm your Mom and you look awful" gifts (underwear, undershirts, socks, sweater and button-down long-sleeve) and I made out well. The best thing was really going home to see everyone, although I wish I had been able to stay longer (Wednesday to Sunday, fuck you, work!). I got a nice friend-kiss from a girl that I've been on the outs with, so that was probably the best.
However, an acceptance letter would be amazing...
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

AlohaDawg

  • Moderator
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: What did Santa get you?
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2005, 06:34:05 am »

What are you trying to get accepted to?

I got a stack of books which I wanted. I got to stay up late on X-mas eve to put together a slot car track which is more fun than I remember plus our cat occasionally attacks the little cars as they go around which is hilarious.

I got a gift certificate to a paddling shop which I may use to buy a new canoe paddle (what I <really> want is a one-man outrigger).

I got the wife black pearl earrings and an i-pod. And a couple CDs she wanted. The 6 year old got some earrings, a locket and the commemorative edition of Captain Under##### #1. The 10 month old got a leap table and a learning with Lily doll both of which teach with the time-proven method of annoying songs.

I got my parents and her mom a Ceiva digital photo receiver.  It's pretty nifty and good for technologically stunted old folks who live far away.
Logged

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: What did Santa get you?
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2005, 07:22:56 am »

I got a bottle of Hangar One vodka (my current fave), a great new belt buckle (La Madre de Guadalupe), 4 P.G. Wodehouse books, and (from the wife) a superman ringer, some lovely chocolates, Dunhills, andten socks. My mom got an 8.5 qt. Calphalon stock pot; my dad got an autographed Second City biography; my best friends got another stock pot, and my wife got a gorgeous bejeweled bottle opener, some embroidered hand towels, and (from me) the Bread anthology, the Cary Grant flick "A Touch of Mink," and last but certainly not least, a vacation to South America. We're going to Santiago, Chile for four days, and Buenos Aires, Argentina for nine.

Oh! I also got a couple sixers of Harpoon Winter Warmer. I'm not one for flavor3ed beers, typically, but this one is spiced just enough for a lovely aftertaste. Pick some up, if you're legal.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: What did Santa get you?
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2005, 07:48:31 am »

However, an acceptance letter would be amazing...

God, do I ever copy you there.
Logged

antioch

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 185
  • fuggedaboudit!
    • View Profile
    • Facehugger Records
Re: What did Santa get you?
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2005, 08:33:13 am »

I gotta smoke the boy at HeroScape pretty soon.


Solid choice! I got my little brother a game by Milton Bradley called "Battle Ball." In the future, football players cybernetically enhance themselves and rip each others' heads off in lieu of tackling. It's so much fun that it's insane.

I got a pen/thumb drive, too. My bro wrapped it for me inside an "Ice Princess" dvd box. Best fake out of the day, for sure.

 And coolest of all, my bass guitar set up is now tweaked with passive and analog effect boxes. Yay, Christmas fun. HUUUUUGS!
Logged
I am older now.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: What did Santa get you?
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2005, 05:40:24 pm »

I got a variety of delightful things (also muchos cash and vouchers which was much better for me this year since I'm doing unpaid work at uni over the break and going back for honours in february) the best by far was a 19inch LCD screen my girlfriend and brother chipped in for. Of course this way the cue for my long suffering video card to finally die an ignoble death. I have just enough cash to replace it (not to upgrade unfortunately) but no decent store opens for about a week so I'm stuck for now.
The fat man giveth and the fat man taketh away.

Speaking of the fat man I just saw Narnia and what was with Father Christmas making an appearance? Can't we be clear on what mythology we are going for here? Also Susane was a monumental waste of everyone else's oxygen.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: What did Santa get you?
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2005, 06:04:37 pm »

Old fogey attack:  I do not understand what any of antioch's presents are.

Carry on.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
Re: What did Santa get you?
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2005, 10:24:15 pm »

Acceptance letter to Columbia's Continuing Education Elective Studies program, wherein I can take Columbia courses for college credit despite the fact that Columbia does not admit spring transfers.
ohpleaseohpleaseohplease
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

antioch

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 185
  • fuggedaboudit!
    • View Profile
    • Facehugger Records
Re: What did Santa get you?
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2005, 04:33:26 am »

Old fogey attack:  I do not understand what any of antioch's presents are.

Carry on.

 Battleball is a board game involving dice that have more than 6 six sides.

 A pen drive is a small hard drive that plugs into standard USB ports. It has the compactness of a pen or a thumb, but much more storage space than either.   

 My new analog effect pedal modulates sound frequencies. It looks and sounds like this. You don't even need to visit. Just imagine eternity interpereted into sound. Electro Harmonix: give the gift of infinity.

 I hope this helped.

 Bo - college, man.
Logged
I am older now.

robot_roll_call

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 331
  • That's one o!
    • View Profile
Re: What did Santa get you?
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2005, 04:54:46 am »

Well...let's see here...

I got the Complete Calvin and Hobbes from my girlfriend, and I really could have stopped right there and been happy.

My parents got me a 50 dollar gift certificate to the Cheesecake Factory for my girlfriend and I, socks (I had no idea people actually got socks for christmas, but I will grudgingly admit I need them), some new shirts, and an iPod.

Oh, and for reasons unknown to me, this Erector set. I never had an erector set as a kid, but I am a fan of toys you put together, the more pieces the better. I spent 4 hours yesterday and today putting it together, and my fingers hurt from all the tiny screws and such. But now I can drive it around like an RC car! Whee!

None of these things were on my list. But I think it's even better when people get you things that weren't on your list that turn out to be great. It's nice to be surprised.
Logged
Did you know that Achewood is literary.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: What did Santa get you?
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2005, 05:46:29 am »

My parents got me a 50 dollar gift certificate to the Cheesecake Factory for my girlfriend and I, socks (I had no idea people actually got socks for christmas, but I will grudgingly admit I need them), some new shirts, and an iPod.

My mother gets me socks every year. To some degree this is a reference to necessity (I lose socks like nobody's business), and to some degree it's just a tradition. At this point, it isn't really Christmas without socks.

Have pity on me.
Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up