Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood My bicycle is parked in the living room. A tub of tartar sauce sits open on the counter. Truly, the evidence of a wife being away too long.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: What did Santa get you?  (Read 14645 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

AlohaDawg

  • Moderator
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: What did Santa get you?
« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2005, 08:22:22 pm »

So's Hobot.
Logged

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: What did Santa get you?
« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2005, 09:52:20 pm »

I also got the HUUUGS shirt for a girl for Christmas... my girlfriend was very understanding about the fact that it didn't arrive until today - mainly because she got me Achewood stuff that didn't arrive either. I got two Lyle pint glasses, and a signed Liquor Taste Test with frame.

The two most significant gifts came from parents. My mom got me a year's worth of insurance on my condo. Sara's parents got me a spiffy leather jacket.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What did Santa get you?
« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2005, 11:44:13 pm »

wow, so.
if there were a person who posted their picture on this board, I might tell them that they were quite attractive. But, that would be creepy of me, so I won't.

Choopernickel-- the last time I went I was in 7th grade, so, I have essentially no idea.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Hobot

  • DISK ONE OF SIX
  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 21
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 861
  • Appearing in a tortilla near you.
    • View Profile
    • Your music is inadequate.
Re: What did Santa get you?
« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2005, 01:28:25 am »

I have to wonder, did someone bestow a tiny can of Dr. Pepper upon me for my picture, or for my unrelenting and incisive wit?
Logged
You had me at "I dig both ladies and fellows."

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: What did Santa get you?
« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2005, 07:02:55 am »

It had to be for the photo.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: What did Santa get you?
« Reply #35 on: December 29, 2005, 07:08:07 am »

I have to wonder, did someone bestow a tiny can of Dr. Pepper upon me for my picture, or for my unrelenting and incisive wit?

Umm, which would you prefer to be flattered for?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: What did Santa get you?
« Reply #36 on: December 29, 2005, 11:13:35 am »

I have to wonder, did someone bestow a tiny can of Dr. Pepper upon me for my picture, or for my unrelenting and incisive wit?

Look at it this way, is it better to have a tiny can of Dr. Pepper or a bunch of lecherous comments posted?

I mean, me, I pick the latter; but I understand most would prefer the former.
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

AlohaDawg

  • Moderator
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: What did Santa get you?
« Reply #37 on: December 29, 2005, 07:41:27 pm »

I have to wonder, did someone bestow a tiny can of Dr. Pepper upon me for my picture, or for my unrelenting and incisive wit?

Picture. of course.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What did Santa get you?
« Reply #38 on: December 29, 2005, 08:36:10 pm »

so, I need to ask this.
Hobot, like many on this board, refers to her "SO". What is this? I realize it's "significant other", but why not "boyfriend" or "girlfriend"? Is that too old fashioned? Am I missing something?

Or, maybe it's one of those things. Like this episode of Seinfeld I watched yesterday, where a Elaine sees her boss eating a Snickers with a fork and knife, so she starts doing it, and someone sees her... and by the end, everyone is eating candy with utensils.

All I can think of is it being a politeness thing. Like, to be nonspecific in gender and orientation? but then, why the gender-specific pronouns? When i first saw it, I thought "oh, this person is homosexual, and doesn't want awkward "omg but you're a dude!" comments." But, in fact, I have seen this for all varieties of SO.


Or is it just shorter to say? And easier, with the confusing relationships of modern human society?
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: What did Santa get you?
« Reply #39 on: December 29, 2005, 09:16:55 pm »

It's because people are assholes, and are trying to make everything gender neutral so as not to offend some imaginary person who supposedly would be offended by the use of a gender-specific term.

Also, people, especially in the U.S., seem to think that the Constitution provides a Right to Not Be Offended.  But it does not.

I remember referring to the woman who brought me a tiny can of Dr Pepper on an airplane to be a "stewardess" and was told that the "correct" phrase was "flight attendent" because the man who also holds the job probably wouldn't want to be called a stewardess.  I politely reminded the smarmy fuck that his title is "steward."

Also, I believe it is legal in the state of Pennsylvania to slap someone who refers to those round metal plates in the street as "personholecovers."

This also reminds me: when we were kids my friend's mom wouldn't permit him to say "helicopter" because it had the term "hell" in it - so he had to say "heckacopter" and sound like a douchebag.

Also: he was not allowed to play outside when the street lights went on, which probably was fine when they were on a timer, but when they switched them over to a photosensor, he had to stop playing football in the street at like, 4:30PM.  I can't remember if he was allowed out when it was cloudy or not.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: What did Santa get you?
« Reply #40 on: December 29, 2005, 09:17:59 pm »

Oh, and to answer the original question I think "significant other" implies a more serious relationship than "girl/boy-friend" does.  It's in-between gbfriend and fiancee.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: What did Santa get you?
« Reply #41 on: December 29, 2005, 09:36:23 pm »

I use SO because it's only two letter for me to type. Also I can never remember which letter gets an accent in fiancee. Sometime I even use it when speaking just because it seems weird to say "boyfriend" when the people involved are like 30.
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: What did Santa get you?
« Reply #42 on: December 29, 2005, 09:40:26 pm »

Oh, and to answer the original question I think "significant other" implies a more serious relationship than "girl/boy-friend" does.  It's in-between gbfriend and fiancee.

Yeah, that's why I use it. I have been known to use "boyfriend" as well, but "boyfriend" to me does not connote "adult with whom I am in a long-term relationship" particularly well, and most of the alternatives are sketchy- or stupid-sounding. ("Lover" implies that we're meeting for restless nights in one-night cheap hotels, "paramour" indicates that we are apparently Merchant-Ivory characters... and from there it's turtles all the way down.) Ergo, I use SO as shorthand for "person with whom I am romantically involved in a way more long-term and binding than 'boyfriend' would connote but which has not yet reached 'fiance' level."

(Also, I'm with Cort on the accenting issue: while I luckily only have one e to remember, 'fiance' without the accent looks wrong, and with the accent it takes extra effort and looks a little pretentious, so... y'know, SO.)
Logged

Hobot

  • DISK ONE OF SIX
  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 21
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 861
  • Appearing in a tortilla near you.
    • View Profile
    • Your music is inadequate.
Re: What did Santa get you?
« Reply #43 on: December 29, 2005, 10:03:59 pm »

Oh, and to answer the original question I think "significant other" implies a more serious relationship than "girl/boy-friend" does.  It's in-between gbfriend and fiancee.

Ditto.  Also, I dig both ladies and fellows, so SO conveniently covers both situations.  Huzzah for my perpetuating a Smithie stereotype!

And the accent in fiancé(e) is always on the first "e."  The second "e" is used to denote femininity.  It's a French "thang."
Logged
You had me at "I dig both ladies and fellows."

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: What did Santa get you?
« Reply #44 on: December 30, 2005, 12:01:14 am »

it seems weird to say "boyfriend" when the people involved are like 30.

Yes.  This seems to me like a sufficient reason to use an alternative.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up