Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

You might, rabbit

You might.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: What did Santa get you?  (Read 14636 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

AlohaDawg

  • Moderator
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: What did Santa get you?
« Reply #45 on: December 30, 2005, 01:15:46 am »

Can we get back to how cute Hobot looks in that t-shirt please?
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What did Santa get you?
« Reply #46 on: December 30, 2005, 02:22:03 am »

alohadawg.
I think, from now on, we can assume that any post by certain members includes that, as a subtext. They are simply refraining from saying it in every single post, to be polite. Also, because once something becomes an essential part of how you look at the world, you eventually stop mentioning it.

You can assume, from now on, that I am mplying that she looks nice in the t-shirt in every post I make. This is a promise.

If, for instance, I say "Jesus Shootin' Heroin is my favorite song of the week, because I have only recently discovered the merits of early Flaming Lips"
you could assume that I meant to say:
"Jesus Shootin' Heroin is my favorite song of the week, because I have only recently discovered the merits of early Flaming Lips. The thud of the bass on the verses reminds me how seeing that picture hit me. deep in my soul."


Hobot-- I am no longer really talking about you in the shirt. I am mostly just making a joke. I could care less what you look like in any shirt. I mean, I care enough to not be rude. Don't think I don't care. What I'm saying is, if you asked me "how do I look in this shirt?", I would answer, but, in this case, the comments were more about the idea of a picture of a girl in a shirt, rather than you specifically.

Also, I will now begin calling my "SO" my lover, and licking my lips suggestively when I say it. Not because it applies, but because that makes me laugh.

I think we can all agree that Achewood is a good comic for people who enjoy language too much.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What did Santa get you?
« Reply #47 on: December 30, 2005, 03:51:38 am »

It's because people are assholes, and are trying to make everything gender neutral so as not to offend some imaginary person who supposedly would be offended by the use of a gender-specific term.

I think it's less about being politically correct than it is about being ambiguous.  In here at least.

~Paul

Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What did Santa get you?
« Reply #48 on: December 30, 2005, 03:56:37 am »

Oh and i'd like to add that I don't care for the term.  I feel it diminishes the person being referred to.  It almost smacks of shame to me.  One should refer to their loved ones with pride.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: What did Santa get you?
« Reply #49 on: December 30, 2005, 04:21:00 am »

Oh and i'd like to add that I don't care for the term.  I feel it diminishes the person being referred to.  It almost smacks of shame to me.  One should refer to their loved ones with pride.

~Paul

Okay, then which term would you use?
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: What did Santa get you?
« Reply #50 on: December 30, 2005, 04:46:08 am »

Ditto.  Also, I dig both ladies and fellows, so SO conveniently covers both situations.

You had me at "I dig both ladies and fellows."

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What did Santa get you?
« Reply #51 on: December 30, 2005, 04:49:32 am »

Okay, then which term would you use?

You could just call them by their name.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: What did Santa get you?
« Reply #52 on: December 30, 2005, 06:20:38 am »

You never even called me by my name...
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: What did Santa get you?
« Reply #53 on: December 30, 2005, 06:21:03 am »

You could just call them by their name.

~Paul

There are two problems with this:
1) You get the ever-charming "launching into a monologue about someone identified by name whom nobody else knows" routine, which inevitably results in a twee little footnote or a clarifying second post; and
2) My beloved/paramour/gentleman caller prefers that his real name not be used on the Internet, and his Web alias is... well, a smidge juvenile. (It sounds like something a bright 14-year-old would have made up to call himself on a YA-sci-fi-novel MB, and it may well have been.) I am thus hesitant to use it somewhere where he isn't known for himself, because it will sound like I'm seeing a terminal doof. (Which I might be, but bear with me.)

I realize 2 is a little specific, but so be it. I don't speak for anyone else.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: What did Santa get you?
« Reply #54 on: December 30, 2005, 07:06:18 am »

like I'm seeing a terminal doof. (Which I might be, but bear with me.)

True love is truly and deeply accepting his terminal doofness.  True wisdom is realizing that we are all terminal doofs.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What did Santa get you?
« Reply #55 on: December 30, 2005, 07:48:36 am »

I would like to say, thank you for ignoring my post where I tried hard to be funny, but ended up sounding like I was just... trying really hard.
also, a very lame guy.

Thank you for this. this is what the internet should always be like.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: What did Santa get you?
« Reply #56 on: December 30, 2005, 12:58:35 pm »

I think we can all agree that Achewood is a good comic for people who enjoy language too much.

Yes.  And Hobot looks cute in that shirt.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: What did Santa get you?
« Reply #57 on: December 30, 2005, 01:54:15 pm »

2) My beloved/paramour/gentleman caller prefers that his real name not be used on the Internet, and his Web alias is... well, a smidge juvenile. (It sounds like something a bright 14-year-old would have made up to call himself on a YA-sci-fi-novel MB, and it may well have been.) I am thus hesitant to use it somewhere where he isn't known for himself, because it will sound like I'm seeing a terminal doof. (Which I might be, but bear with me.)

You're dating Raistlin316?

Raistlin 3:16 says: I just ate your soul with a magic stone shaped not unlike an eggplant
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: What did Santa get you?
« Reply #58 on: December 30, 2005, 05:15:39 pm »

In regard to the "SO" thing, I like the title.  A little under a year ago my SO and I became common law partners, not by any choice of ours, but because the Manitoba government changed the laws (during the whole legalization of gay marriages process here in Canada) so that any couple having lived romantically together for two or more years are now considered each other's spouses.  While I still consider him my boyfriend (there was no ring or ceremony, hello!) the government considers him my husband.  So in all documentation his is, very significantly my other... As tax payers, on the census, etc. we are married.  Also, after four years together, I suppose our relationship is more significant than just... dating... I mean, we own a house together, and if there was ( god forbid) a separation, there would be a very serious custody battle over the cats.  I used to use the term "partner" but since I actually do have business partners, if I refer to him as my partner, at least in coversation, some people get confused and think I'm referring to a co-worker.  On top of all that I work with a lot of people who have same sex partners, who they all referr to as "partners" also, and the lingo, at least in my workplace seems to be applied to same sex couplings only.  I like the term "significant other" a lot.  It makes it clear that I am in a romantic partnership with someone, without making it juvenile - aka "boyfriend" or clinical of vague - aka "partner."  It works.  Also, when it comes to my many queer colleagues, when I say I have a "significant other," I can tell that it sets them at ease - this lingo let's them know that I am open to, accepting of, and in deed a part of a non-traditional partnering.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: What did Santa get you?
« Reply #59 on: December 30, 2005, 07:33:27 pm »

Quote from: CortJstr
You're dating Raistlin316?

Yes. Yes, I am.

To be fair to him, it's actually about the perfect intermediate step between Raistlin316 and... you know, something an adult would use to designate themselves on the Internet. It doesn't have any numbers involved.

True love is truly and deeply accepting his terminal doofness.  True wisdom is realizing that we are all terminal doofs.

Very true. Honestly, I don't have room to talk; I, too, am a terminal doof. Hell, I'm talking about this on a message board dedicated to a webcomic about talking cats -- how cool can I possibly be?

Just kidding. You guys rule the schools; I cannot stress this enough.
Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up