Basically, the tradition of Boxing Day is this: After X-Mas you box up all the things you don't need or that you have in abundance/surplus to give to those who need/have use of the items: If you got a nice new coat, you might donate your old coat to a shelter. If you had a surplus of food, you might donate what you didn't need, or distribute it among friends and neighbors. If you got gifts you did not want, you might just give those away to other people. I usually clean out my food cupboards of any non-perishables that I've accumulated over the year that we don't want and donate them to Winnipeg Harvest, but this year I did it before Christmas. Also, my SO and I were recipients this Boxing Day - my SO's grandma gave us two Hutterite-raised chickens (she live out near a colony) and a bag of home made perogies her 90 year old neighbor made, as well as a half dozen packages of cream cheese. I know in olden days out on the farm, my grandparents told me people did this in a more personal but very respectful and anonymous way - usually you would leave the items on the back or side door step of the person in need. It's basically a day of communal sharing, and the whole consumerist Boxing Day Sale has sort of grown into an exploitative aspect of the idea. Once upon a time stores would put certain traditionally Christmas-like items on sale on the day after Christmas, and that would be when the working class/lower class/serving class families would actually celebrate Christmas - it was a charitable thing: for example the butcher would intentionally sell his turkeys for half price knowing that he'd be selling them to those who couldn't have one on Christmas Day- that sort of thing. It's definitely more about just clearing out the holiday stock now, and the whole spirit of giving/charity is really getting leached away, but I'm sure anyone could make the same sort of argument about Christmas itself too.