Has any of you ever had this happening?
Like, I remember one time going to this place unassumingly named "Cinema Hole" to see some obscure alternative movies. Of course, all of them were extremely bad. Naive, pseudolyrical, with a bodacious disregard for coherence (or good lighting). I don’t know what I as doing there, there were drinks, and so on. But then, as I said, all of them lame, *except* for this one gem, this cheap-looking crime flick, with blaxploitation-like visuals, all set to some killer funk lines (accompanied to an eerie screeching trumpet). It was 20 minutes long, shot in grainy B&W, and the bit that sold it to me was that you could not make the dialogues out (“up”? I never know). The voices came out distorted, drenched in white noise, muffled. One could sort of follow emotional patterns in the characters voices, but it just wasn’t human. And I thought, “the dude made it worth”. To begin with, it was a very short film, because one just couldn’t stand much of that either, of course. And I was thinking, he made a mold, a frame that could dispense with plot. There were shoot-outs, hand fights in bars, car chases, make-out scenes, all gloriously chep-looking and in your face, but one couldn’t never tell how all that connected, and it never mattered, because it felt more like variations over a theme, or dream-like, with all those apparent non-sequiturs.
I thought it was genius to recognize that a 20-minute homemade brazilian blaxploitation movie wouldn’t exactly blow people’s minds. It ended up being almost Lynchian (when the movie ended no one was exactly certain it had ended, in a good way, i.e., people were willingly paying attention to what had been going on).
So there I went to congratulate the guy who had directed it. Of course, first thing I comment within hearing distance of his circle of friends is “Great idea distorting the dialogues, it was pretty cool”. Now that had been of course the result of a malfunctioning in a certain piece of machine during the projection. The movie wasn’t intended to sound like that, see? For some reason they just let it go and go. How was I supposed to know? Fuck them.
Or: Mogwai is releasing a new album anytime now, as some of you migh know. So a friend of mine downloaded some of the songs that had leaked, including one called “Friend of the Night”, which I thought to be the coolest thing I had listened to in a long while. It has this clipping effect going at odd intervals, putting the song in a mean free jazz freak out tempo while also rocking out, melting faces etc. I thought, “ok, dudes played a straight-sounding song and put it through some filter, it’s kind of cheating, but then fuck it, it sounds great”.
It’s a fuck*ng glitch. Checked on the Internet, the good version of “Friend of the Night” is the same lame Mogwai pap they’ve been putting out since Rock Action. Fuck you Mogwai, the best song in your album was just a Mcintosh fart.