On the other hand, if I own/operate a business and I don't want to be open on Sunday, or Wednesday, or on Friday the 13th or whatever, why does it matter? And why is is appropriate to form a judgment about that practice?
As for "Blue Laws" in many areas like Jough mentions, the community sets a standard. If enough people in the community wanted those laws repealed (and I would) then they should either organize themselves or elect like-minded people to their legislative body.
I don't take offense at Chick-Fil-A being closed on Sundays. I take offense at their implication that this policy makes them better than businesses that are open on Sundays. If their placards read:
"Why aren't Chick-Fil-A restaurants open on Sundays?
Our founder, Truett Cathy, wanted to ensure that every Chick-fil-A employee and restaurant operator had an opportunity to worship, spend time with family and friends or just plain rest from the work week. We've kept his wishes as part of our charter to honor his memory."
They'd have the same explanation (Our founder did it and we like it), but a less-smug message behind it. As it reads now, it falls just short of "We aren't open on Sundays because only
sinners work on Sundays." To me, anyway. Maybe I'm more sensitive to that because there were a lot of people in my childhood who believed that, spoke it loudly and often, and would verbally accost strangers who dared pump their own gas on a Sunday.
Personally, I don't generally care what days a business is open* as long as I have a reasonable chance of getting to it during business hours. I might whine about not being able to get a specific widget or morsel, or perhaps wonder why this business owner does not
want my money on certain days, but then I'll find a place that
is open and give
them my money. Capitalism!
As for blue laws, they die out brain-numbingly slowly because the people who enacted them are generally the ones with the most authority, most motivation, and biggest speaking platforms in the area. They tend to drive the opinions of the majority of the area's residents, most of whom wouldn't care one way or the other if they hadn't been taught their message from birth. To challenge a blue law is not only to
admit that you enjoy alcohol (horrors!), but that
six days a week is not enough time for you to enjoy alcohol, and furthermore, that
you know what is better for the people than the people in charge of the city/county/parrish despite your love of the evil alcohol.
It doesn't help that many communities with these laws have healthy populations of students or "seasonal residents," who likely aren't eligible to vote locally in the first place, and don't care all that much if they are. But that's just my limited observation.
Also, I just put ketchup on my Chick-Fil-A. I don't know of this polynesian sauce.
Also,
italics.*Unless that business is my bank, which I need, which is always closed at least one hour before I can possibly get to it. This is because banks are run by fuckers.