Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I haven't had a haircut since July. I'm hoping to, "wait it out."

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Russia! at the Guggenheim  (Read 4873 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: Russia! at the Guggenheim
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2006, 02:46:50 am »

I apologize for drunken ramblings. Sorry, Hobot! I'm usually a better person. I can provide references.

I think at this point you'd be better off providing some test results or something.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Russia! at the Guggenheim
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2006, 05:39:41 am »

I apologize for drunken ramblings. Sorry, Hobot! I'm usually a better person. I can provide references.

Dude, you don't need to provide reference. You have 26 tiny cans of Dr Pepper. Plus you're responsible for the entire miniscule beverage-based economy.
Logged

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
Re: Russia! at the Guggenheim
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2006, 07:10:11 am »

Plus you're responsible for the entire miniscule beverage-based economy.

I AM LEGEND.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Russia! at the Guggenheim
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2006, 07:24:25 am »

 

You know, I don't mean to derail things...

...okay, yes I do...

But this all reminds me of a story I'll try to keep short.

In my early 20's my pseudo-boyfriend-who-turned-out-to-be-gay and all our friends and I all frequented a bar, and so did this girl that we all knew because of one thing - she dated someone in our circle, and they got to the point in their relationship where they were going to be intimate, and she, kindly told him before hand, "I have genital warts."  Needless to say the buddy of ours lost his boner and did not have sex with her.  So she became, from that point on, "Olivia with-the-warts."  I ran into her for years and years, always at bars, and in my head she was "Olivia Withthewarts" almost like it was her last name.  Later I was out at a bar with a friend who was not part of the same aforementioned circle of friends, and was this friend was perhaps a little more kind to most people, and there was Olivia dancing alone drunkenly in the cage (the bar had a cage not a dance floor - so 90's alternative!), and my friend turned to me and said something to the effect of"that girl looks pretty drunk" to which I replied "Who? Olivia With-the-warts?" And then I had to explain everything to my friend, who shared what I said to all the people we had come with, mostly strangers to me, and they all sort of looked at me funny, but then, from then on, they all referred to her as Olivia Withthewarts too. 

Poor Olivia Withthewarts.  Looking back now, the guy who originated the whole story after dating her had many glaring situations where he said things that were probably not true, so I sort of doubt now that Olivia Withthewarts actually had warts at all.

Also, Alexander Solzhenitsyn.  (Anybody?  Anybody?  No?  ...and this is why the book club sucked.  I read either boring or unknown authors and I have nothing interesting to say about them.)
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Russia! at the Guggenheim
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2006, 07:26:03 am »

Yeah, what I've read of him is great.  Which isn't much.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Russia! at the Guggenheim
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2006, 02:27:56 pm »

I took three semesters of Russian in college.  My real-world usage of Russian consists of one sentence, in which I told a Russian guy in Germany, "We need three chairs." 

My Russian is pretty well gone at this point.  Ochen ploche!
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Russia! at the Guggenheim
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2006, 03:59:01 pm »

I took about three semesters too, I think.  All I remember is, roughly, 'Ja lyublyu krast karandashi,' which should be close to 'I love to steal pencils.'  Tragically I never got to use this sentence in real life.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Russia! at the Guggenheim
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2006, 06:34:32 pm »

My favorite is "U menya yest piva," which is "I have a beer."
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: Russia! at the Guggenheim
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2006, 06:42:47 pm »

All I know is Ya Pravdi Kavarou (SP?  Since I only ever heard it spoken) 

I was told this by a Russian girl who I was completely enamoured with for some time, but she liked to tease me for my adoration so for all I know I could be saying "Please look at my laughably small c*ck" and be none the wiser.

(Incidentally None, The Wiser is my favorite 6-day ruling King of England.  Also, that's a total lie.  ((The KoE bit, not the bit about the Russian girl, that part's true (((Dammit))))))
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

Hobot

  • DISK ONE OF SIX
  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 21
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 861
  • Appearing in a tortilla near you.
    • View Profile
    • Your music is inadequate.
Re: Russia! at the Guggenheim
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2006, 08:17:28 pm »

Bozack: I can also assure you that I don't have the Clap.

side_show: I just finished One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich.  I'd like to read The Gulag Archipelago 1918 - 1956.

Russian speakers: You have made my day. Spasebo (ugh, that looks awful in our alphabet).  My favourite phrase is "Ya peesu" -- "I am pissing."
Logged
You had me at "I dig both ladies and fellows."

birkensocks

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 10
    • View Profile
Re: Russia! at the Guggenheim
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2006, 10:58:39 pm »

oh uh i am sorry i cannot help this
Ochen ploche!
'Ochen' plocho'

Ja lyublyu krast karandashi
Excellent.

U menya yest piva
'U menya yest pivo', which is the same mistake. I don't mean to be a dick about this, heh.

heh!

Ya Pravdi Kavarou
'Ya Pravdu Gavar(y)ou' = 'I am telling the truth'

"Ya peesu"
= 'I am peeing'; 'Ya ssu' would be 'I am pissing'

I sort of watched a russian news report on the New York exhibition that took a generally unfavorable tone (there is a parallel exhibition in Russia, which is more traditional?)-- viz. the protest works in New York were I guess seen as in poor taste by the more conservative reporters-- but I didn't really pay attention and can't find it on the Internet. Maybe I'll do a little search for other sources...
« Last Edit: January 06, 2006, 11:21:38 pm by birkensocks »
Logged

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: Russia! at the Guggenheim
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2006, 11:16:07 pm »

Thank you birkensocks for proving that I wasn't saying my junk is small.

A tiny can of Dr. Pepper to you Sir or Madam!
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Russia! at the Guggenheim
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2006, 05:37:09 pm »

side_show: I just finished One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich.  I'd like to read The Gulag Archipelago 1918 - 1956.

Oh, see, I was totally obsessed with One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich, and read every different Eng. lang. translation I could get my hands on.  Did you read it in Russian?  I've never been able to read the Gulag books, but I think my Fav. Solzhenitsyn book is Cancer Ward.  I don't really know much about Russian history, so I have to admit I'm a little uneducated on why Solzhenitsyn was imprisoned, and later, I think exiled.  I know I was talking to a Ukrainian guy in his '90's about his exile, and it was really hard to understand the whole situation.  He's still afraid to go back to his home land, even though he also tells me that things have changed to the point where he can go back.  I don't understand how and why anyone gets exiled.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Russia! at the Guggenheim
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2006, 06:18:18 pm »

I don't understand how and why anyone gets exiled.

Hell, my state still exiles people with illegal guns. Or so the signs along the highway claim.
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Russia! at the Guggenheim
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2006, 07:37:09 pm »

That is very weird.

Basically the guy I was talking to was exhiled for making statements against the government.  And, well, it's just hard to get my head around that.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up