Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

No, Philippe! Too soon!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: -Sluck- -Pop- - 4 January 2005  (Read 5906 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
-Sluck- -Pop- - 4 January 2005
« on: January 04, 2006, 05:22:28 am »

I had this same dream last week.

This one isn't funny, but it's interesting at least.  And from the first panel it seems that there may be a series of these, which could be interesting with a few of the characters.

I did find Teodor's removing of his outer mouth to be somewhat disturbing.  So bravo on that front.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: -Sluck- -Pop- - 4 January 2005
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2006, 05:32:36 am »

Yeah, this one is more disturbing/character developing than purely funny.

I like it.

It's odd.  I think I'm coming around to Asherdan's way of thinking.  Earlier tonight I happened upon a strip from early January 2005.  I started reading the archive from that point.  It was amazing what a little perspective will do for you.  Strips that were meh at the time have improved significantly.  Also, I had utterly and completely forgotten a disturbing number of strips.  And arcs.

Maybe my perception is skewed by this experience.  But I liked today's Achewood better than any I can remember in the immediate past.

A year from now I'll probably hate it.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: -Sluck- -Pop- - 4 January 2005
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2006, 06:02:50 am »

I think disturbing things are inherently funny, and I would bet Onstad holds this belief, so it's not as if he is sacrificing comedy for character development.  To tell you the truth, I don't really think it provides any character development, it's just really pulling some jokes out of Teodors thoughts.

But that dream Teddy is in hell of good shape.
Logged
ACHIEVE

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: -Sluck- -Pop- - 4 January 2005
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2006, 06:32:52 am »

This is hella interesting. The "disconnected concepts" style that didn't quite work yesterday works well today -- I suppose that's the beauty of the dream sequences. The only thing better than Teodor removing his muzzle is Ray's reaction to it, as if he'd done something rude but totally not inexplicable, which is exactly right by dream logic. I hope there's more of this coming.

Did this remind anyone else of the Jesse Reklaw guest strip?

Logged

redshifter

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2
    • View Profile
Re: -Sluck- -Pop- - 4 January 2005
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2006, 06:38:33 am »

i do not understand why teodor first expresses dismay at being labelled gay, but then removes his snout to reveal lipstick'd lips? 

could it be a fit of surreal passive aggressiveness?  "you assume i'm gay so here is a grotesque display of homosexuality"? 

the prospect of his snout being some kind of cross-dressing concealing prostetic is disturbing enough.  if it is dream logic, will he wake up later and it will all have been a dream? 
Logged

robot_roll_call

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 331
  • That's one o!
    • View Profile
Re: -Sluck- -Pop- - 4 January 2005
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2006, 06:52:31 am »

Interesting that he assumes a different name in this dream. Has that ever happened to anyone for real?
Logged
Did you know that Achewood is literary.

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: -Sluck- -Pop- - 4 January 2005
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2006, 08:49:30 am »

i do not understand why teodor first expresses dismay at being labelled gay, but then removes his snout to reveal lipstick'd lips? 

Seems like he tries to adapt to appeal to other people.  More conforming than rebelling.

Interesting that he assumes a different name in this dream. Has that ever happened to anyone for real?

He's mentioned having different names while describing dreams in his blog a few weeks ago.  I don't recall it happening personally, but I guess I can't really recall ever being adressed in a dream.
Logged
ACHIEVE

yu-huang

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: -1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 92
    • View Profile
    • xy7htk
Re: -Sluck- -Pop- - 4 January 2005
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2006, 09:00:09 am »

My God, that tiny mouth is hella creepy...
Logged
the ominous finger-pointing of street aggression

nationwide

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 9
    • View Profile
Re: -Sluck- -Pop- - 4 January 2005
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2006, 10:01:04 am »

And from the first panel it seems that there may be a series of these, which could be interesting with a few of the characters.

http://achewood.com/index.php?date=04272005
Logged

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: -Sluck- -Pop- - 4 January 2005
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2006, 11:33:40 am »

Okay.. now we're getting somewhere.  Is that the same name he saw in the dreams on his blog?  I can't remember and I can't be arsed to look it up at the mo'.

Fit n' trim Teodor does look a little more disturbing than I'd thought he would; with our without tiny creepy mouth.  *shrug*
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

Null

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 204
    • View Profile
    • http://beckoningchasm.com
Re: -Sluck- -Pop- - 4 January 2005
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2006, 01:10:59 pm »

I liked this one a lot more than yesterdays.   This one is like the Michael Bay remake of Eraserhead.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: -Sluck- -Pop- - 4 January 2005
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2006, 02:07:11 pm »

Teodor looks disturbingly like a Martian Popping Thing with his regular mouth gone.
Logged

Null

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 204
    • View Profile
    • http://beckoningchasm.com
Re: -Sluck- -Pop- - 4 January 2005
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2006, 04:27:36 pm »

I wonder what kind of creature the client is supposed to be.   

Actually, now that I look at it, it sort of looks like the Achewood version of Alfred Hitchcock's caricature from the old TV show.
Logged

Roger

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 22
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 311
  • Who watches the smiling fries?
    • View Profile
    • http://www.last.fm/user/rogermarmo/
Re: -Sluck- -Pop- - 4 January 2005
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2006, 05:34:22 pm »

For a while I wondered what was the purpose of an actual sofa-sized ice cube tray with a puppy in each compartment... until I realized that T had just designed a print ad. For what kind of product, I can't possibly imagine.
But hey, it was just a dream. Probably one of those in which you think you had a brilliant idea, just to wake up and realize that it doesn't make any sense.
Logged
Gabba Gabba Hegel!

Emergent_C

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 153
    • View Profile
Re: -Sluck- -Pop- - 4 January 2005
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2006, 06:02:31 pm »

But hey, it was just a dream. Probably one of those in which you think you had a brilliant idea, just to wake up and realize that it doesn't make any sense.

While trying to decide what topic to write a Communication paper on in college, I dreamed that I wrote it about the challenges of communicating while drunk. Surprisingly, I still thought this was a good idea after I woke up, and astoundingly, I got an A on it in a class in which the professor handed out only 1 or 2 A's a semester.

So maybe a print ad featuring puppies in an ice-cube tray would really sell the hell out of...something.
Logged
now I know that being in trouble is a fake idea
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up