Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

When the creations of a genius collide with the mind of a layman, and produce an empty sound, there is little doubt as to which is at fault. - Salvador Dali

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: 1-5-06: Ancient Shenanigan  (Read 11580 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: 1-5-06: Ancient Shenanigan
« Reply #45 on: January 06, 2006, 01:12:05 pm »

I remembered the terrifying face of the hull (a la Red Meat), the head of Johnny Cash, and the BAM! cooking guy

I think we are safe here since the people we have seen in achewood are celebrities and therefore not really real, (well the hull face wasn't actually a person at all so that's ok too) they end up being characitures (how in the hell do you spell that word?) which would be too weird to do for someone you know.
Of course now tomorrow's strip is probably just going to be the baby's face stone cold glaring at us.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: 1-5-06: Ancient Shenanigan
« Reply #46 on: January 06, 2006, 01:30:50 pm »

"Caricature," boss.

And am I the only one that finds it ironic that we're learning about what's wrong with rap from a Slate article? Do they have any shred of jurisprudence in this matter?
Logged

Emergent_C

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 153
    • View Profile
Re: 1-5-06: Ancient Shenanigan
« Reply #47 on: January 06, 2006, 03:28:52 pm »

yeah, if the baby had to have a face, I could handle it if it were a crazy, wacky face like that.  As long as the baby is really far removed from reality, really terrifyingly disconnected from the "awe shucks" life, I can deal.

Maybe she's the baby from Eraserhead? She doesn't seem to have any legs, after all.
Logged
now I know that being in trouble is a fake idea

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: 1-5-06: Ancient Shenanigan
« Reply #48 on: January 06, 2006, 03:50:14 pm »

Ah the Eraserhead baby.  On an Eraserhead documentary I saw a while ago, some of the cast talked about how that baby puppet, which was made by Lynch himself, stank more and more each day of shooting, and Lynch himself has admitted that the placenta's falling form the sky in the Radiator Lady segments were indeed actual medical wastel placenta and after birth.  He talked about how he had a friend who worked for a hospital but also works for his films.  Jack Nance talked about how the odour of the baby made acting repulsed real, real easy in that documentary too.  Also in the same documentary, I learned that the woman who played the baby's mother is also the woman who became the Log Lady in Twin Peaks.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Null

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 204
    • View Profile
    • http://beckoningchasm.com
Re: 1-5-06: Ancient Shenanigan
« Reply #49 on: January 06, 2006, 08:25:39 pm »

Ah the Eraserhead baby.  On an Eraserhead documentary I saw a while ago, some of the cast talked about how that baby puppet, which was made by Lynch himself, stank more and more each day of shooting, and Lynch himself has admitted that the placenta's falling form the sky in the Radiator Lady segments were indeed actual medical wastel placenta and after birth.  He talked about how he had a friend who worked for a hospital but also works for his films.  Jack Nance talked about how the odour of the baby made acting repulsed real, real easy in that documentary too.  Also in the same documentary, I learned that the woman who played the baby's mother is also the woman who became the Log Lady in Twin Peaks.

Actually, the Eraserhead baby's mother (Charlotte Stewart) went on to play Bobby's mother in Twin Peaks.   She wasn't in the show a whole lot.   Catherine Coulson played the log lady and she wasn't actually in Eraserhead, but she did production work behind the camera.

I'm not trying to be Pat.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: 1-5-06: Ancient Shenanigan
« Reply #50 on: January 06, 2006, 08:35:55 pm »

From our friend Lileks.com's Bleat today:

Quote
Now the weekend – tomorrow is another vacation day for Gnat, with Target and piano and pizza and a nice glass of Ancient Shenanigan.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: 1-5-06: Ancient Shenanigan
« Reply #51 on: January 06, 2006, 10:08:16 pm »

Wow, I thought that everybody had given up on the Bleat. Way to keep us updated, Wombat.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: 1-5-06: Ancient Shenanigan
« Reply #52 on: January 06, 2006, 10:49:39 pm »

Wow, I thought that everybody had given up on the Bleat. Way to keep us updated, Wombat.

Nah, I still read it most days.  I do appreciate that he's separated out his puerile political views.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: 1-5-06: Ancient Shenanigan
« Reply #53 on: January 06, 2006, 10:56:46 pm »

Nah, I still read it most days.  I do appreciate that he's separated out his puerile political views.

Wow, he has? Maybe now I should pick it up again.
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: 1-5-06: Ancient Shenanigan
« Reply #54 on: January 07, 2006, 05:21:47 pm »

Actually, the Eraserhead baby's mother (Charlotte Stewart) went on to play Bobby's mother in Twin Peaks.   She wasn't in the show a whole lot.   Catherine Coulson played the log lady and she wasn't actually in Eraserhead, but she did production work behind the camera.

I'm not trying to be Pat.

Oh, you know, when I wast posting it, I kind of thought, should I look this up?  But I am lazy, so thank you.  Did you see the documentary I was talking about?  Do you know what it's called?  I think I stumbled upon it on some upper cable channel.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up