Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Hydroponic seltzer clams.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: AugustWest, I object to "reacting poorly"  (Read 22776 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: AugustWest, I object to "reacting poorly"
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2006, 08:38:15 pm »

Personally, I don't find the level of bad newbieness all that obnoxious. I think it means something that we tend to have such strong memories of and reactions to Bad Newbies -- because for every bad newbie we have, we have one really good newbie, and three or four newbies who don't become board MVPs but contribute and are enjoyable. Barring truly unusual instances (like Onstad showing up and a flood of lurkers coming out of the woodwork to call us History's Worst Criminals), we've never had a flood of bad newbies, and most of the "bad" newbies have actually just been people who didn't fit in and eventually drifted away. I'm not sure that this problem is worth any kind of actual limitation system. That said, if we have to go with one, a time-loitering-based system might work.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: AugustWest, I object to "reacting poorly"
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2006, 11:03:29 pm »

What V said.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: AugustWest, I object to "reacting poorly"
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2006, 11:14:31 pm »

V, maybe you missed last week's noobie flood because I was deleting/banning them as fast as they signed up, but in about two hours we got around 50 new "members" signing up and posting crap, ads for smut, etc.

So the gated community idea started looking pretty good after that bit of annoyance.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: AugustWest, I object to "reacting poorly"
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2006, 12:40:41 am »

In other words, if this were a house party, we wouldn't object to the loud-mouth schnook who keeps shouting "Freebird!" at the band as much as we would to the quiet guy who takes a shit on the living room carpet.

MisterQueue took a shit on my living room carpet last night, then he yelled "Freebird!"  But he's a special case.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: AugustWest, I object to "reacting poorly"
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2006, 12:51:28 am »

MisterQueue took a shit on my living room carpet last night, then he yelled "Freebird!"  But he's a special case.

In my defense it was on a dare from AD, but the platform shoes I won were totally worth showing off my backdoor to the entire room.






Wasn't really worth having to hear Freebird though.
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: AugustWest, I object to "reacting poorly"
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2006, 01:20:42 am »

V, maybe you missed last week's noobie flood because I was deleting/banning them as fast as they signed up, but in about two hours we got around 50 new "members" signing up and posting crap, ads for smut, etc.

So the gated community idea started looking pretty good after that bit of annoyance.

Uh... damn. I must not have been online for that, but damn. I had been under the impression that that crap was way down since the board changeover, but I guess I was wrong. Still, unless it becomes a pernicious problem, I'm not sure we need to code anything against it.

Out of curiosity, does Simple Machine have any coded-in options that could be useful here? That's something to consider and would save El Guapo work.
Logged

Roger

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 22
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 311
  • Who watches the smiling fries?
    • View Profile
    • http://www.last.fm/user/rogermarmo/
Re: AugustWest, I object to "reacting poorly"
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2006, 01:31:51 am »

I don't know about actually coralling the newbies into a little area is a good idea, I mean, have you ever heard of the term "reflexive biting?"

Hey, does this thing work retroactivelly? Am I going to be rounded up and taken into a corral?

If so, can I have my own little harem of newbiesses?
Logged
Gabba Gabba Hegel!

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: AugustWest, I object to "reacting poorly"
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2006, 01:59:05 am »

I'm certainly not in favor of spammers, but I do like the bad newbies.  Or at least most of them

Dammit, they're entertaining!  Sure they can obnoxious, but it just gives us the opportunity to rip on them and that can be great fun.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: AugustWest, I object to "reacting poorly"
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2006, 03:46:06 am »

Yeah, actually, I do enjoy the bad newbies too.  I really like tearing into them when it's needed.  I do like Choop's suggestion of the 3 hr's of board lurk time = permission to post though.  Is this possible?  You know an enforced three hour lurk period, with a friendly auto PM letting the person know that the lurk time is specifically so that they can learn the etiquette of the board?  That would be cool.  Of course knowing nothing about the technicality of these things, we may be purposing something that involves a lot of work... so I dunno.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: AugustWest, I object to "reacting poorly"
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2006, 05:22:06 am »

I say we just keep things the way they are.  It's relatively easy to kick a noob in the face if they fuck up.  Let's not make the good ones pay for the mistakes of the dummies.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: AugustWest, I object to "reacting poorly"
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2006, 05:26:21 am »

I say we just keep things the way they are.  It's relatively easy to kick a noob in the face if they fuck up.  Let's not make the good ones pay for the mistakes of the dummies.

Always the mustache of reason.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

AlohaDawg

  • Moderator
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: AugustWest, I object to "reacting poorly"
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2006, 05:19:39 pm »

Yeah, can I go back and change my vote for Board MVP?

Yes, you can. Click 'remove vote' and it will let you choose again.

Quote from: MrQueue
In my defense it was on a dare from AD, but the platform shoes I won were totally worth showing off my backdoor to the entire room.

We call those Peggin' Shoes. You might say they were made for backdoor activities.

Hey, does this thing work retroactivelly? Am I going to be rounded up and taken into a corral?

If so, can I have my own little harem of newbiesses?

Well, not exactly, But Tuesdays 8-10 it's your turn in the barrel.

honk if you get that reference

Edited to fix name confusion
« Last Edit: January 20, 2006, 07:37:32 pm by AlohaDawg »
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: AugustWest, I object to "reacting poorly"
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2006, 05:41:17 pm »

Honk.

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: AugustWest, I object to "reacting poorly"
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2006, 05:44:44 pm »

Yes, you can. Click 'remove vote' and it will let you choose again.

We call those Peggin' Shoes. You might say they were made for backdoor activities.

Well, not exactly, But Tuesdays 8-10 it's your turn in the barrel.

honk if you get that reference

Why oh why does everyone confuse me with miles? 

Miles are you my doppleganger?
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Re: AugustWest, I object to "reacting poorly"
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2006, 05:59:07 pm »

Why oh why does everyone confuse me with miles? 

Miles are you my doppleganger?

Because your name begins with the same letter. Same with the fact that until last week I didn't realize Aloha Dawg and August West were different people. I just thought of them as "the ornery guy  whose handle begins with A."
Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Up