Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Yo mama's so crass and low, she puts chocolate pieces into her mouth while she is still chewing up the previous chocolate pieces.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: I couldn't resist.  (Read 5670 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
I couldn't resist.
« on: January 16, 2006, 05:53:39 am »

I got into college. Washington University is St Louis. It's an incredible school, and the people are awesome, and St Louis is awesome.

Has anyone ever lived there? Or been there? Any suggestions of what to check out, or anything?

I am hell of excited.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Thee

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 51
  • I adidas Rio
    • View Profile
    • New England Fashion Update!
Re: I couldn't resist.
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2006, 09:12:37 am »

My friend almost went there.  That's a nice school.  Congratulations.  You should be excited.

I don't have any advice for st louis, I'm afraid it's outside of california, and therefore, does not exist.
Logged
R U Passionate??

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: I couldn't resist.
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2006, 11:09:07 am »

I live in STL, and I am from here originally.  I've moved in and out of the city a couple times.

It's a fine town, but it's a big town that thinks it's a small town.  There's this whole inferiority complex thing happening.  But congrats on Wash U.

Sooo... yeah, whaddaya wanna know?
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

acoxcae

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 314
  • Because I don't have one. Never have.
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
Re: I couldn't resist.
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2006, 01:42:56 pm »

Similarly, I lived in St. Louis for the entire duration of my youth (and still go back fairly frequently), and can attest to a lot of St. Louis' awesomeness.  Also, Wash U is an excellent school, congratulations.  I know many people who go/went there, and nearly everyone loves/d it.

Anyway, good choice, and if you have any specific questions, let me know.
Logged
this new board has a shitload of buttons.

why are there no zippers?
-thanks ark

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: I couldn't resist.
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2006, 02:43:04 pm »

I went to Wash U. through the first semester of my Junior year.  It's an excellent school.

My wife is from STL and all my in-laws are there.  We are there several times a year.  STL is a great city with lots of interesting stuff to do.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: I couldn't resist.
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2006, 03:05:30 pm »

My only advice as a university grad is to go about doing as much damage as possible to your body now, when the getting is good.  This is the only time in your life where you will have free alcohol and illegal substances offered to you in vast array. Honestly man, most people who get university/college degrees are amazed that they even survived, never mind graduated.  My best friend and I were looking back and laughing a few days ago - "We made it through!  Without criminal records or killing ourselves or others!"  "Damn, we're so lucky."  It all boils down to luck.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: I couldn't resist.
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2006, 03:43:14 pm »

Congratulations! I don't have any concrete advice on WashU, but I've heard it's a good school. My advice on college can be boiled down to two points:

* Plan ahead. Nothing sucks worse than ending up in academic hell due to spending insufficient time planning your course path. This goes double if you already now what you're majoring in; use all the advising your school offers.

* Join some clubs. You'll meet cool people whom you'll already have something in common with.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: I couldn't resist.
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2006, 04:36:47 pm »

Man, I loved college. It's always so easy to get laid, you have no real responsibilities, there are parties happening every weekend to which you can easily be invited, the booze (well, beer anyway) runs free, and there are clubs you can join, eventually become an officer, and totally abuse your budget.  Make sure to pack plenty of DVDs.  You'll need them.

Oh, also, learning about stuff is cool too.  Make sure to keep on top of your schoolwork so no one gives you a hard time about the other stuff.

So congratulations.  Let the mayhem commence.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: I couldn't resist.
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2006, 04:58:45 pm »

I'm going to stop reading this thread and being reminded of how I wasted my youth.

But a note before I go:  If you leave town, be prepared for everyone to be confused when you tell them where you went to school, unless you always add "in St Louis." 
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: I couldn't resist.
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2006, 06:14:57 pm »

so yeah, basically:

cool music venues?
good comic book stores?
good record stores (other than that one on "The Loop", which was pretty awesome. And cheap, if I remember correctly)?

Also: ewww. Substance abuse? ewww. I simultaneously fear and loathe substance usage.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

acoxcae

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 314
  • Because I don't have one. Never have.
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
Re: I couldn't resist.
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2006, 06:25:31 pm »

Music Venues in St. Louis:  Read the Riverfront Times.
I haven't been to a concert there in a few years, but Mississippi Nights, Cicero's, The Galaxy, The High Pointe, and a few others stand out as having been the hosts of some awesome shows.

Comic stores:  Sorry, can't help.

Record Stores:  Vintage Vinyl is clearly the best.  Streetside records, just down the block, is OK.  Euclid records is also pretty good.

I'd be a much better resource for where to eat and drink, but these may be helpful.
Logged
this new board has a shitload of buttons.

why are there no zippers?
-thanks ark

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: I couldn't resist.
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2006, 06:41:10 pm »

I can't be much help re: music venues and such because I left STL in 1986.

I was going to suggest Vintage Vinyl though.  Is it still there?  A substantial portion of my record collection came from there.

I don't get up to the Loop much anymore.  All the in-laws are either out in South County or over by Tower Grove Park.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: I couldn't resist.
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2006, 07:00:49 pm »

acoxcae--
good Thai places that aren't super-expensive?
good stereotypical college food places? (pizza, subs, etc)
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: I couldn't resist.
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2006, 07:11:29 pm »

Records: Vintage Vinyl, definitely.  Euclid is okay too.  Those are pretty much the only viable options.

Music venues: there's a ton of em.  I like the Hi-Pointe but that's probably because I live a block away from it.

Comic Shops: Back when I used to go to comic shops I utilized "The Fantasy Shop" which could've easily been a porn store name had they thought it through.


For Pizza it's either Imo's or Black Thorn.  Black Thorn is the best pizza you'll have outside of Chicago. 
Penn Station and Jimmy Johns are acceptible, but if you want local SouthWest Sandwich shop has been a favorite of mine since I was like 4.
We have crazy good Italian food all over the damn hell place.
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

acoxcae

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 314
  • Because I don't have one. Never have.
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
Re: I couldn't resist.
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2006, 07:21:20 pm »

Good Thai places - we actually have a small neighborhood devoted to Thai food on south Grand Avenue, including Pho Grand and The King and I, both of which are excellent.

Stereotypical college food: Jimmy John's is always excellent, Amighetti's is a St. Louis favorite, and Imo's is the traditional St. Louis pizza go-to.  I tend to go a little more upscale on pizza, since I worked at a pizza joint (Cafe Manhattan, excellent pizza) for a few years and got tired of the same old thing.  Plus, Imo's makes me sick, every time, without fail.  They have pretty good toasted ravioli though.  That is something else you'll need - toasted ravioli.
Logged
this new board has a shitload of buttons.

why are there no zippers?
-thanks ark
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up