Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Barely passed Oregon driver's test. Lots of rules about Yielding to the Distraught and slow-moving salmon trucks on one-way switchbacks.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: I couldn't resist.  (Read 5677 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: I couldn't resist.
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2006, 07:51:58 pm »

St Louis pizza, or at least Imo's, is pretty unique.  Very thin crust, not much sauce and gummy Provelone cheese.

I like it, it's great stuff, but it's just different.  I wish I could get an Imo's now.

Other things -- Ted Drewes.  I don't know if Jack and Charlies is still in Clayton, but they used to make an excellent corned beef sandwich.  The Zoo, the Botanical Gardens and the City Museum are all pretty cool. 

Is Talayna's still around?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: I couldn't resist.
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2006, 08:21:09 pm »

Congratulations on getting accepted to school.  I'm like Wombat in that this thread makes me realize I wasted my youth.  I've only been in St. Louis once for an afternoon so I don't have any advice to offer you.  Good luck.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: I couldn't resist.
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2006, 08:27:45 pm »

The original Talayna's is gone gone gone.  It is the saddest thing.   Man I loved that place.
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: I couldn't resist.
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2006, 09:20:48 pm »

I have a good friend who works at Webster U. in St. Louis, and he takes all out-of-town visitors to Ted Drewes.

My Jane & Michael Stern restaurant guide says there's a place in St. Louis where you can get fried pig snout sandwiches.  I tried to get my friend to take me there, but he refused.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

Hobot

  • DISK ONE OF SIX
  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 21
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 861
  • Appearing in a tortilla near you.
    • View Profile
    • Your music is inadequate.
Re: I couldn't resist.
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2006, 10:34:51 pm »

Also: ewww. Substance abuse? ewww. I simultaneously fear and loathe substance usage.

Ditto.  We are an endangered breed of the Student species.

Also: Congratulations!  May your years at Washington University prove both enlightening and fulfilling.
Logged
You had me at "I dig both ladies and fellows."

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: I couldn't resist.
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2006, 10:50:37 pm »


My Jane & Michael Stern restaurant guide says there's a place in St. Louis where you can get fried pig snout sandwiches.  I tried to get my friend to take me there, but he refused.

Oh, now there's a substance I'd like to get the chance to abuse.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

AlohaDawg

  • Moderator
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: I couldn't resist.
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2006, 10:57:59 pm »

Ditto.  We are an endangered breed of the Student species.

Also: Congratulations!  May your years at Washington University prove both enlightening and fulfilling.

Since there isn't really another way to utilize beverage alcohol and marijuana, I object strongly to the notion that any substance was abused during my college career.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: I couldn't resist.
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2006, 11:26:22 pm »

Since there isn't really another way to utilize beverage alcohol and marijuana, I object strongly to the notion that any substance was abused during my college career.

Oh yeah?  You could have woven that hemp into a strong yet attractive fabric and made a suit out of it.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: I couldn't resist.
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2006, 12:00:01 am »

hm, well.
I would say there is a level of pot/alchohol use which is not abusive.
but very few are content with that level, especially students.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

AlohaDawg

  • Moderator
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: I couldn't resist.
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2006, 12:32:14 am »

Someone probably did make a suit out of the fibers. We only dealt with the buds.
Logged

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: I couldn't resist.
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2006, 02:12:26 am »

Oh yeah?  You could have woven that hemp into a strong yet attractive fabric and made a suit out of it.

And what about fuel man?  Hemp fuel?  But don't say it too loudly, or Exxon will kill you.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: I couldn't resist.
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2006, 07:45:07 am »

Well, my wife is from St. Louis. I'm sure she could come up with some things for you. I applied to Wash U for law school, assume I will get in, but won't likely go there because we don't particularly want to move.

The Red Sea is a good restaurant if you are of the opinion, as I am, that Ethiopian food should make you sweat. I also noticed that they had a Two Cow Garage show there, and the idea of a Ethiopian place that hosts an awesome alt-country band is A-OK in my book.

I believe the university has its own bus route, so check along its route(s) for convenient places to live. St. Louis does not have great public transportation on the whole.

Everything said here about Imo's and Ted Drewe's is true. Imo's also makes a rather tasty, totally unhealthy salad with the same strange cheese that is on its pizza. My wife was reminiscing about a sandwich shop with a fellow Lou ex-patriot, so I will ask her about that.
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: I couldn't resist.
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2006, 01:47:55 pm »


 I also noticed that they had a Two Cow Garage show there

Oh, what a good band name.  Do they sell tshirts?

We have a band around here called Hard Swimming giraffe that I keep missing when they play right around the corner.  I know, thinking a band will be good because you like the name is just as stupid as buying wine because it has a marsupial pictured on the label.  But I can't help it.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: I couldn't resist.
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2006, 02:33:27 pm »

Since there isn't really another way to utilize beverage alcohol and marijuana, I object strongly to the notion that any substance was abused during my college career.

Indeed, I had not other ideas of how to use the substances placed in front of me. 

Also, I also thought "eww... substance abuse!" before I got accepted to university... 

Also, these food places sound delicious.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
Re: I couldn't resist.
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2006, 05:12:32 pm »

I love substances.
Way to go, man. Today is my first day back at school, so we should do some sort of luck-wish trade.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up