Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood It's National Johnny Cash Raise Hell Awareness Saturday Night. Go out and Fuck Shit Up in a Way That You Believe In!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: January 16, 2006 - I don't know what this has to do with MLK  (Read 3546 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Thee

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 51
  • I adidas Rio
    • View Profile
    • New England Fashion Update!
January 16, 2006 - I don't know what this has to do with MLK
« on: January 16, 2006, 09:01:12 am »

http://achewood.com/index.php?date=01162006

Good use of flashback, in case we missed the previous episode.  Just what kind of company is it then?

Though I don't know, I'm kind of burned out on Ray's mom from the blogs.
Logged
R U Passionate??

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: January 16, 2006 - I don't know what this has to do with MLK
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2006, 11:11:26 am »

Okay, Ray looks so sad in the last panel that it amuses me.  If I ever have to explain to my Mom that I make tiny testicles for phones, then I will probably have a similar air about myself.

So can we be done with phoneballs now?  Please?
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

idiomsavant

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 4
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 42
    • View Profile
Re: January 16, 2006 - I don't know what this has to do with MLK
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2006, 12:00:39 pm »

Some excellent eyebrow rendering on Mr. Smuckles on this fine day.

Does Ray always sport the white shirt and tie and thong when he launches a startup? It would appear that perhaps he does. A shirt with French cuffs, no less.  The cat in the thong is mighty stylish, except for the thong.
Logged

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Re: January 16, 2006 - I don't know what this has to do with MLK
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2006, 01:57:34 pm »

Um...was "I don't know what this has to do with MLK" the original alt-text? 
Logged

evan

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 154
    • View Profile
    • http://www.i-got-problems.com
Re: January 16, 2006 - I don't know what this has to do with MLK
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2006, 02:38:24 pm »

Did Ray forget to tell his mom that he's a multi-millionaire?
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: January 16, 2006 - I don't know what this has to do with MLK
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2006, 03:45:42 pm »

I have this feeling that the next Wacky Development is going to be Ray actually being forced to explain what he does and his mother being more excited/supportive about it than one is comfortable with coming from one's mom.

Also, "Quentin?"
Logged

MattFish

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 43
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 371
  • A perch with a cramp / Half-pound ahi burger
    • View Profile
Re: January 16, 2006 - I don't know what this has to do with MLK
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2006, 03:50:44 pm »

Um...was "I don't know what this has to do with MLK" the original alt-text? 

I think it was the thread-starter's attempt at being clever and witty! Aren't we to support such endeavors as long as they are relatively harmless?

I like Ray's lines in this one. We're having fun and learning as we go! I totally sympathize, though, as it's hard to show one's mom one's inappropriate work, no matter how proud you are of it.

I have this feeling that the next Wacky Development is going to be Ray actually being forced to explain what he does and his mother being more excited/supportive about it than one is comfortable with coming from one's mom.

Also, "Quentin?"

Yeah, "Quentin", didn't see THAT coming. I like that thread idea though and totally am more excited and supportive about it than you are comfortable with.
Logged
I finally found a nice picture of a giraffe

Hobo Frenzy

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 222
  • fuck*ng Moto Guzzi
    • View Profile
    • the best site in the universe
Re: January 16, 2006 - I don't know what this has to do with MLK
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2006, 03:51:42 pm »

The eyebrows were well done and really gave away Ray's thoughts, so that was a plus. The strip itself wasn't so hot though, but I must say I liked Ray's hot-potato dance catch. Does anyone know exactly Ray meant when he said, "This ain't that kind of company." ? The kind of company that talks on phones? That uses the merchandise? That talks while working?

As far as ending the strip now (as most people want) I just hope Onstad knows what he's doing and finishes this one in a way that makes us all say "Oh, so that's where he was going with all this!" I can stand a few more of these as long as something good comes from it.
Logged
Hey, what's this? Cursive?

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: January 16, 2006 - I don't know what this has to do with MLK
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2006, 04:03:58 pm »

The eyebrows were well done and really gave away Ray's thoughts, so that was a plus. The strip itself wasn't so hot though, but I must say I liked Ray's hot-potato dance catch. Does anyone know exactly Ray meant when he said, "This ain't that kind of company." ? The kind of company that talks on phones? That uses the merchandise? That talks while working?

My guess is "the kind of company where Todd ever interacts with a customer."
Logged

acoxcae

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 314
  • Because I don't have one. Never have.
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
Re: January 16, 2006 - I don't know what this has to do with MLK
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2006, 04:27:58 pm »

I'm pretty much done with this arc now.  I guess maybe one uncomfortable day of Ray explaining that he sells plastic stick-on scrotums for cellular telephones could be entertaining (but only if he uses the word "scrotums").

Also, I'd like to point out that Ray's middle name has been Quentin for some time now. (It's in the 2nd-to-last response.)

edit:  I've just discovered that "scrotums," while acceptable, is not preferred.  The preferred plural is "scrota."  This is much, much funnier.

After taking Latin for four years, you'd figure I should know this, but I guess not.

Logged
this new board has a shitload of buttons.

why are there no zippers?
-thanks ark

Biz Markizzle

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 73
    • View Profile
Re: January 16, 2006 - I don't know what this has to do with MLK
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2006, 05:01:08 pm »

I think Hobo Frenzy has straight zeroed-in on the funniest/most ambiguous parts of this strip. That simply because Todd says "hot potato" Ray responds by seeming genuinely distressed/scared of the incoming object...this is funny. The rest of the strip, not so much, but still I am thankful.

That Ray says "This ain't that kind of company," is ambiguous. I think it is one of two things: 1) that this is not the kind of company that uses cellphones with balls attached to them (which is sort of funny), or 2) that Ray just assumes whatever Todd is doing on the phone is inappropriate (probably dealing drugs). Someone please figure it out, once and for all. Thanks,

Biz
Logged
Even my superficial raps are super official.

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: January 16, 2006 - I don't know what this has to do with MLK
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2006, 05:24:57 pm »

At the 2005 AVN Awards, "Best Film Actress winner Savanna Samson was cheered when she recognized the support of her peers as crucial because 'most of my family is pretty ashamed of what I do.'" (link)

You don't get into the risque businesses without a few moments you'd rather wish you could skip, R. Quentin. Did you think you'd never have to hear your mother's voice when you talked about what you do for a living?

Needless to say, I enjoyed this strip.
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: January 16, 2006 - I don't know what this has to do with MLK
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2006, 05:47:59 pm »

See talking to your mom on a device that has a scrot is really when you realize that the whole idea was perhaps not as cool as you thought it would be.  I remember when I worked at the porno video store that one day my mom called and I was all holding the phone between my ear and shoulder while I balanced a stack of porno in my hands.  She didn't know I was working at that type of video store, just like Ray's mom doesn't know he's talking on a ScrotPhone (TM), but really, it doesn't matter.  Genitals and your mother do not go together - that is the lesson that I learned.

PS - I really like that I just made up the perfect product name.  No one can convince me otherwise.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: January 16, 2006 - I don't know what this has to do with MLK
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2006, 06:17:03 pm »

He could just say they make cell phone charms/decorations and be vague but that would be less funny and less Ray.
Logged

Roger

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 22
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 311
  • Who watches the smiling fries?
    • View Profile
    • http://www.last.fm/user/rogermarmo/
Re: January 16, 2006 - I don't know what this has to do with MLK
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2006, 06:49:50 pm »

That Ray says "This ain't that kind of company," is ambiguous. I think it is one of two things: 1) that this is not the kind of company that uses cellphones with balls attached to them (which is sort of funny), or 2) that Ray just assumes whatever Todd is doing on the phone is inappropriate (probably dealing drugs). Someone please figure it out, once and for all. Thanks,

Maybe Ray was afraid that Todd might be moonlighting as a phone-sex operator. What tool could be more appropriate for that than a phone with balls attached to it?

But I keep trying to imagine how the conversation between Todd and Ray's mom was going...
Logged
Gabba Gabba Hegel!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up