Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood It's National Johnny Cash Raise Hell Awareness Saturday Night. Go out and Fuck Shit Up in a Way That You Believe In!

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 14   Go Down

Author Topic: Huntington Utah  (Read 35077 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: Huntington Utah
« Reply #75 on: March 03, 2006, 11:55:45 pm »

education


Actually sopapillas are rather easy to make in the home.  Buy some tortilla you find desirable (preferrably not one with an image of Hobot on it mind you, you'd need to save that one.)  Heat up some canola oil in a shallow pan and fast fry each side.  Top with honey and cinnamon.  Voila.
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

sjlimmer

  • Illegal Ghost Bikes
  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 317
  • Insert witty remark here...
    • View Profile
Re: Huntington Utah
« Reply #76 on: March 04, 2006, 12:43:36 am »

That "scone" looks a lot like fry bread, which is reasonably common in Utah (supposedly of Navajo origin).  It fact, fired "scones" are not all that uncommon in the area.  Hell, now I kinda miss Sconecutter.

Hopefully Utah's treating you well, Paul.
Logged
"That's because you're a mean drunk, and nobody loves you."

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Huntington Utah
« Reply #77 on: March 04, 2006, 12:53:47 am »

I happened to pull my copy of Eat Your Way Across the USA out today, so I thought I'd look up joints in Utah.  Looks like the closest one to you is 90 minutes away.  Goddammit Utah is too big.

What is it called?
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Huntington Utah
« Reply #78 on: March 04, 2006, 01:00:43 am »

Doesn't that thing look like Navaho fry bread? 
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: Huntington Utah
« Reply #79 on: March 04, 2006, 06:17:49 pm »

Oh yeah, I almost forgot This is where I work.

I hope I'm not alone in saying Paul needs to get his hands on a giant inflatable pig and some helium STAT.
Logged

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Huntington Utah
« Reply #80 on: March 04, 2006, 07:22:37 pm »

Doesn't that thing look like Navaho fry bread? 

That "scone" looks a lot like fry bread, which is reasonably common in Utah (supposedly of Navajo origin).  It fact, fired "scones" are not all that uncommon in the area.  Hell, now I kinda miss Sconecutter.

I think they are more or less the same.

Anyway, I had forgotten that scones are something different outside of Utah.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Huntington Utah
« Reply #81 on: March 04, 2006, 08:04:41 pm »

My brain must have been as fried as that pastry yesterday, because I absolutely swear that sjlimmer's post was not there when I wrote mine fifteen minutes later.  But the computer does not lie, of course.

I really want to know how that came to be called a scone in Utah.  It has almost nothing in common with scones except perhaps that it is made of flour.  Very fascinating.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Huntington Utah
« Reply #82 on: March 04, 2006, 08:24:23 pm »

The linguist in you still lives, Wombat.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Huntington Utah
« Reply #83 on: March 04, 2006, 09:00:12 pm »

No, no, no, it's some kind of inner culinary anthropologist, I swear.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Huntington Utah
« Reply #84 on: March 04, 2006, 11:50:46 pm »

No, no, no, it's some kind of inner culinary anthropologist, I swear.

Surely you aren't claiming that you are a nutrional anthropologist.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Huntington Utah
« Reply #85 on: March 05, 2006, 12:21:18 am »

Surely you aren't claiming that you are a nutrional anthropologist.

Ah, if only!
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

AlohaDawg

  • Moderator
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: Huntington Utah
« Reply #86 on: March 05, 2006, 03:04:38 am »

I think they are more or less the same.

Anyway, I had forgotten that scones are something different outside of Utah.

I think it would be more proper to say scones are something different inside of Utah - because they are prety much the same everywhere else I've been, which includes the UK, which, I think, would at least get a scone right (although the rest of Englands 'national cuisine' pretty much blew in my opinion. (No offense, Slink)
Logged

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Huntington Utah
« Reply #87 on: March 05, 2006, 06:49:39 am »

I think the way I phrased it means pretty much the same thing.  I certainly wasn't saying that Utahns invented the thing, only that outside of Utah, it's not a piece of fried dough.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Huntington Utah
« Reply #88 on: March 05, 2006, 08:05:47 am »

A scone, is of course, of Irish origin, from the Gaeilge word meaning "hard dense flavourless hunk of bread that tastes like what you'd imagine a baby from the loins of sand and dried toothpaste would taste like."

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Huntington Utah
« Reply #89 on: March 06, 2006, 12:01:03 am »

Sand and dried toothpaste have loins? The things you learn on the Internet!
Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 14   Go Up