Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14]   Go Down

Author Topic: Huntington Utah  (Read 35105 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Huntington Utah
« Reply #195 on: May 05, 2006, 12:39:54 pm »

I don't get it.  I know what a chicken is and a road and I know what sexual selection is.  Is the joke that sexual selection is supposed to explain everything?

Dang, this thread sure has wandered a bit.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Huntington Utah
« Reply #196 on: May 05, 2006, 01:12:08 pm »

We're working some rough chuckles here.

Hey, I work in Huntington Utah.  Here's some guys I work with, Navajo Iron Workers.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: Huntington Utah
« Reply #197 on: May 05, 2006, 03:22:35 pm »


Man, it's okay. I'm reminded of the time at UCI that I was asked by a drunken postdoc what my favorite enzyme was, and I choked and said "holdases!" Which aren't even enzymes, because I'm an idiot.

You should have knocked him over and taken his lunch money.
Logged

Hobot

  • DISK ONE OF SIX
  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 21
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 861
  • Appearing in a tortilla near you.
    • View Profile
    • Your music is inadequate.
Re: Huntington Utah
« Reply #198 on: May 05, 2006, 04:25:39 pm »

Man, it's okay. I'm reminded of the time at UCI that I was asked by a drunken postdoc what my favorite enzyme was, and I choked and said "holdases!" Which aren't even enzymes, because I'm an idiot.

Hey, at least you got the suffix right.  It could have been worse.
Logged
You had me at "I dig both ladies and fellows."

Mite

  • Motel 6 Kind of Girl
  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 6
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 584
    • View Profile
Re: Huntington Utah
« Reply #199 on: May 05, 2006, 04:26:56 pm »

We're working some rough chuckles here.

Hey, I work in Huntington Utah.  Here's some guys I work with, Navajo Iron Workers.

~Paul

Do they work up high like those Iroquois dudes do? And people used to think they were extra good at it because they walked really straight and weren't afraid of heights, but it turns out it's just because they have balls the size of casaba melons (metaphorically speaking - large balls might make that job harder, actually)? They're awesome.
Logged
I'm no longer a Bankhead teacher, but I'll still take your cookies.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Huntington Utah
« Reply #200 on: May 05, 2006, 05:07:02 pm »

Do they work up high like those Iroquois dudes do?

They were working on the ground when I caught up with them, but the structrure they are erecting is about 80' tall I reckon.

They're really nice guys too.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

swinehund

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 140
  • you cannot defeat me, I wear the mask of vulcan
    • View Profile
    • blaagh
Re: Huntington Utah
« Reply #201 on: May 05, 2006, 07:36:23 pm »

I don't get it.  I know what a chicken is and a road and I know what sexual selection is.  Is the joke that sexual selection is supposed to explain everything?

Yes. At least it's often cited to explain anything stupid that has no apparent survival-enhancing value. At least it was during our trips to the zoo. This joke has officially been explained too much.
Logged

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Huntington Utah
« Reply #202 on: May 05, 2006, 08:07:56 pm »

I have been catching up on the board and waiting, WAITING, for an explanation of all the avatars with moustaches and beards.

At long last.  I'm down with it.  Or maybe my cow is eating out of a witch's hat.  I'm not sure.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Huntington Utah
« Reply #203 on: May 05, 2006, 08:53:32 pm »

Yes. At least it's often cited to explain anything stupid that has no apparent survival-enhancing value. At least it was during our trips to the zoo. This joke has officially been explained too much.

The best thing about this is when even scientists take it too far; I recently read "Adam's Curse," a book by the "Seven Daughters of Eve" guy, in which his basic premise was that agression and power were all male sexual-selective traits and that there was a war going on at the gamete level between mitochondria and Y chromosomes. Included in this was an argument, and I swear to God I am not shitting here, that male homosexuality is the result of the mitochondria reprogramming male fetuses along a "female" development track. Also, apparently Gaia is going to kill us all unless we stop this aggression blah blah blah you actually have a doctorate? Holy shit.
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Huntington Utah
« Reply #204 on: December 10, 2006, 11:43:47 pm »

That particularly weak "pun" was based on a double meaning of TSA: "Tyramide Signal Amplification," a method by which you improve fluorescent labeling during immunohistochemistry but which actually just makes your embryos these homogenous glowing green wads, and the Transportation Safety Authority, the jerkoffs who randomly search my bag way more than would be truly random.

Man, it's okay. I'm reminded of the time at UCI that I was asked by a drunken postdoc what my favorite enzyme was, and I choked and said "holdases!" Which aren't even enzymes, because I'm an idiot.

Jesus.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Huntington Utah
« Reply #205 on: December 11, 2006, 02:14:00 am »

Jesus.

If it's any comfort, Nabu, I don't even understand that joke anymore myself. Strenuously topical!
Logged

Sub_Topical

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 41
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 316
  • Cog -> Machine
    • View Profile
Re: Huntington Utah
« Reply #206 on: December 11, 2006, 05:19:23 am »

There's the man who says what I thinks!
Logged
We must repeat!

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Huntington Utah
« Reply #207 on: December 11, 2006, 05:59:16 am »

I no longer live in Utah and you guys are speaking in tongues.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

AlohaDawg

  • Moderator
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: Huntington Utah
« Reply #208 on: December 12, 2006, 06:48:25 am »

Good Point.

Locked!
Logged
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14]   Go Up