Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

But Pat, the Cure is silly! It is silly to like The Cure!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: File Organization Problem  (Read 1942 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
File Organization Problem
« on: January 19, 2006, 08:10:08 pm »

I was going to post this on 'I got Problems.com' but I thought I'd see if any of you had a good solution for me.

I'm heading up a network drive cleanup. There is a nightmare of old and/or unused data on a drive shared by 25 people.

The biggest problem I'm having is with these things they call 'portals' here.

A Portal is a word document in tabular form. It's used to manage related documents on specific projects. This came into being at some point in the past and has never been replaced by a more powerful system.

I'm working on one now that's 16 pages long with upwards of 300 links to documents in folders all over the drive.

Is there a way to have the computer somehow index these links and spit me out a list of all of them or do I have to go through one-by-one, check to see of the linik works and then cut and paste the file address to the link list I'm compiling?

Thanks

J
Logged

acoxcae

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 314
  • Because I don't have one. Never have.
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
Re: File Organization Problem
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2006, 09:24:09 pm »

VBA Macros, dawg.  You can write a macro that'll find every link, check the file it points to, and write into a different file what the link is and if it's good or not.  I can't write it off the top of my head or anything, but I'm sure someone can.
Logged
this new board has a shitload of buttons.

why are there no zippers?
-thanks ark
Pages: [1]   Go Up