Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Jumping jacks, flinging myself off of low decks, yelling into an empty bottle of carrot juice. Trying to get in writing mode.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: unnecessary!  (Read 7162 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: unnecessary!
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2006, 08:21:20 pm »

I'm a little late to the party here, but welcome. My daughter's name is Madelynn. I doubt you spell it the same way (if in fact Maddie is a nickname at all) because my daughter's mother had to have it that way. It is my hope that one day she grows up to have the sense of humor to dress up like a cartoon cat to win a contest.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: unnecessary!
« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2006, 09:09:48 pm »

Nothing's stopping us from running our own costume contest, you know.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

sjlimmer

  • Illegal Ghost Bikes
  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 317
  • Insert witty remark here...
    • View Profile
Re: unnecessary!
« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2006, 09:49:45 pm »

Nothing's stopping us from running our own costume contest, you know.

Besides the last shreds of our sanity and/or human decency, you mean?
Logged
"That's because you're a mean drunk, and nobody loves you."

littlefox

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 13
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 76
    • View Profile
Re: unnecessary!
« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2006, 10:08:18 pm »

I'm a little late to the party here, but welcome. My daughter's name is Madelynn. I doubt you spell it the same way (if in fact Maddie is a nickname at all) because my daughter's mother had to have it that way. It is my hope that one day she grows up to have the sense of humor to dress up like a cartoon cat to win a contest.

My full name is Madelyn and it's actually spelled Maddy, but I think Onstad just didn't remember how I spelled it in the e-mail I sent with it. I hate the spelling Madelyn because it's sort of ridiculous. My parents wanted my nickname to be Lynnie, but look, it's not. I've heard of my spelling before - rarely - but never with two n's. I guess I should appreciate that my name could be even MORE ridiculous.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: unnecessary!
« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2006, 10:15:57 pm »

Don't take it personal, O is a bad name-speller.  In the photo contest results he spelled both ferociousJ's name (Jon) and my dog's name (Lilly)wrong till someone corrected him. 

And as long as I'm the subject, J should totally have won that one.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: unnecessary!
« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2006, 11:47:43 pm »

Wombat, can I stalk your dog on the internet?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: unnecessary!
« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2006, 12:22:12 am »

And as long as I'm the subject, J should totally have won that one.

Yeah, looking over it again, "I disqualified it because it was too good" just doesn't stop being total bullshit. I mean, look at that. YOU CAN SEE THE GOLDEN GATE BRIDGE IN THE BACKGROUND. Oh, Onstad, what does it take to move your heart?!
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: unnecessary!
« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2006, 12:38:22 am »

Wombat, can I stalk your dog on the internet?

You can stalk my dog anywhere you want, honey.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: unnecessary!
« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2006, 01:59:36 am »

Wombat, can I stalk your dog on the internet?

Augie are you trying to have an internet affair with Wombat?  Didn't Jough and my tussle over Side Show prove that to be a bad idea?  Did we learn nothing from that?

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: unnecessary!
« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2006, 02:01:35 am »

You're not the boss of me, Paul.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: unnecessary!
« Reply #40 on: January 21, 2006, 02:17:07 am »

Paul, you know that making something forbidden will just make it more desirable, don't you?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: unnecessary!
« Reply #41 on: January 21, 2006, 12:10:47 pm »

My full name is Madelyn and it's actually spelled Maddy, but I think Onstad just didn't remember how I spelled it in the e-mail I sent with it. I hate the spelling Madelyn because it's sort of ridiculous. My parents wanted my nickname to be Lynnie, but look, it's not. I've heard of my spelling before - rarely - but never with two n's. I guess I should appreciate that my name could be even MORE ridiculous.

Her mother's middle name is Lynn, and wanted that to be reflected in there somewhere, much the same way as I've always said I wanted my first son's middle name to be Eric because my middle name is my dad's first name. I guess in the grand scheme of things, Madelyn(n) isn't a weird spelling of it. It's certainly more phonetic than Madeleine or any of the others.

The idea of parents naming someone in order to craft an easy nickname out of it is a goofy idea.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: unnecessary!
« Reply #42 on: January 21, 2006, 04:05:41 pm »

My grandfather and his brothers were named specifically to make nicknames impossible. His mother thought they were vulgar and disrespectful to the parents. Needless to say the aunts and uncles went out of their way to not use the kids real names.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: unnecessary!
« Reply #43 on: January 21, 2006, 04:59:45 pm »

I've always said I wanted my first son's middle name to be Eric because my middle name is my dad's first name.

Hello Eric.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: unnecessary!
« Reply #44 on: January 21, 2006, 07:14:30 pm »

The idea of parents naming someone in order to craft an easy nickname out of it is a goofy idea.

Seriously. Is there any better way to make sure the kid decides that it will only be known by its Real Name by age five or so? Heaven knows it worked for me. (Of course, I also had the extra twee factor of my childhood nickname functioning as a portmanteau of my parents' first names, which was entirely unintentional but which all of my parents' friends thought was a "cute idea," much to my parents' eternal chagrin. Then again, getting into all the ways that my name has caused my parents eternal chagrin would take a while.)
Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up