Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood "Awww yeah who is CATHOLIC up in this piece?!?!" -- you never hear that any more.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Jan 20, 2006 - I Promise To Try To Keep It On As Weight  (Read 5701 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

nuero

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 4
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 105
    • View Profile
Jan 20, 2006 - I Promise To Try To Keep It On As Weight
« on: January 20, 2006, 09:02:20 am »

http://achewood.com/index.php?date=01202006

The only funny thing about these strips to me is how much the presence of Ray's mom changes everyone.
Logged

starlight

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 323
    • View Profile
    • http://www.livejournal.com/~aekastar
Re: Jan 20, 2006 - I Promise To Try To Keep It On As Weight
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2006, 09:45:17 am »

Yeah, they sure get polite, don't they?

As for girls liking guys who eat cheese... well, though I'm lactose intolerant, I seem to have liked guys who eat cheese for the most part... I guess it's true at least in my perspective though I doubt I'd frown on a vegan guy... unless they were Pat!
Logged
Texas only kept me awake

Shazbut

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 11
    • View Profile
Re: Jan 20, 2006 - I Promise To Try To Keep It On As Weight
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2006, 10:24:08 am »

I like this strip for Mrs Smuckles' immediate request that Beef should buy a sandwich, as if the main thing she remembers about him from his childhood was giving this poor white-trash kid handouts to buy food, especially with Beef's insistence that he "will pay her back someday".
Logged

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: Jan 20, 2006 - I Promise To Try To Keep It On As Weight
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2006, 11:12:59 am »

Dogg on a Hogg? 

Anyway, I like how Mr. Roast Beef not only gets polite but also reverts to childhood him.  He basically repeat just such as what Mrs. Smuckles says, and the "I hope that I find out someday" is an immediate implication of the innocent non-dating years which he's obviously not in; only she didn't really ask.

Whereas Ray is smooove to his mom, Beef pulls off the perfect neurotic Catholic schoolboy routine and tries to paint halos all over himself.  I do the exact same things with my friend's moms from childhood without realizing it most of the time.
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Jan 20, 2006 - I Promise To Try To Keep It On As Weight
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2006, 01:03:12 pm »

I was hoping for "Girls like a boy who eats cheese."
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

acoxcae

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 314
  • Because I don't have one. Never have.
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
Re: Jan 20, 2006 - I Promise To Try To Keep It On As Weight
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2006, 01:57:58 pm »

As a man who, until a few years ago, did not eat most forms of cheese (excepting melted, mild cheeses, see: pizza), I can testify that girls do not like a man who doesn't eat cheese.  Then I started eating cheese, and BANG!, now I'm waist deep in cheese-loving tail.

I like how Beef implies that it is his decision whether or not cheese becomes weight, so he'll do his best to have it do that.
Logged
this new board has a shitload of buttons.

why are there no zippers?
-thanks ark

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Jan 20, 2006 - I Promise To Try To Keep It On As Weight
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2006, 02:30:05 pm »

Love it.  Beef is such a good boy.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

idiomsavant

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 4
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 42
    • View Profile
Re: Jan 20, 2006 - I Promise To Try To Keep It On As Weight
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2006, 03:34:14 pm »

What's the secret?  Do you have to eat cheese in a certain alluring fashion?  Or is it more of a pheromonal response to a cheese-eatin' man, something that tells The Ladies that a particular dude has achieved mastery over milk curdled with rennet and acidification?
Logged

MattFish

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 43
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 371
  • A perch with a cramp / Half-pound ahi burger
    • View Profile
Re: Jan 20, 2006 - I Promise To Try To Keep It On As Weight
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2006, 03:52:30 pm »

What's the secret?  Do you have to eat cheese in a certain alluring fashion?  Or is it more of a pheromonal response to a cheese-eatin' man, something that tells The Ladies that a particular dude has achieved mastery over milk curdled with rennet and acidification?

I'd also like to know the secret.

These strips are golden. Thank our lucky stars for the ChatSack arc.
Logged
I finally found a nice picture of a giraffe

Biz Markizzle

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 73
    • View Profile
Re: Jan 20, 2006 - I Promise To Try To Keep It On As Weight
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2006, 04:13:40 pm »

Maybe the thing with cheese is that it is basically a really gross food if you think about it, so you are just being a wuss if you don't eat cheese. And girls do not like wusses? Or maybe it is that if you do not eat cheese that you are dangerously close to crossing the border between Man and Vegan, and God help you if you try to get a lady with the complexion of a vegan.

Today's strip is so funny; I love it and I love today.

Biz
Logged
Even my superficial raps are super official.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Jan 20, 2006 - I Promise To Try To Keep It On As Weight
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2006, 04:50:10 pm »

So is this "Thank You Friday"?

Great stuff.  Who among us hasn't turned into Eddie Haskell when dealing with a friend's mom?

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Jan 20, 2006 - I Promise To Try To Keep It On As Weight
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2006, 05:18:06 pm »

So when Beef first said Stellas I thought me meant beer but then he said crunchy so I'm confused.

Maybe he can help ensure cheese->weight conversion but eating then sitting down and remaining motionless for as long as possible. Maybe take a nap.
Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: Jan 20, 2006 - I Promise To Try To Keep It On As Weight
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2006, 05:30:27 pm »

I was going to ask whether y'all think crispy stellas is a Beefism for ice-cold Amstel. That is my hypothesis.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Jan 20, 2006 - I Promise To Try To Keep It On As Weight
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2006, 05:35:29 pm »

They're obviously Stella-Dora breadsticks.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Jan 20, 2006 - I Promise To Try To Keep It On As Weight
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2006, 05:44:52 pm »

Males eating cheese always makes me think of this The Pursuit of Happiness Song:

Quote
I’m An Adult Now:
Well, I don't hate my parents / I don't get drunk just to spite them / I've got my own reasons to drink now / Think I'll call my Dad up and invite him / I can sleep in till noon anytime I want / Though there's not many days that I do / Gotta get up and take on that world / When you're an adult it's no cliche, it's the truth /

'Cause I'm an adult now / I'm an adult now / I've got the problems of an adult / On my head and on my shoulders / I'm an adult now /

I can't even look at young girls anymore / People will think I'm some kind of pervert / Adult sex is either boring or dirty / Young people they can get away with murder / I don't write songs about girls anymore / I have to write songs about women / No more boy meets girl, boy loses girl / More like man tries to figure out what the hell went wrong /

I'm an adult now / I'm an adult now / I've got the problems of an adult on my head, my libido / I'm an adult now /

I can't take any more illicit drugs / I can't afford any artificial joy / I'd sure look like a fool dead in a ditch somewhere / With a mind full of chemicals, like some cheese-eating high school boy

'Cause I'm an adult now / I'm an adult now / I've got the problems of an adult / On my head and on my shoulders / I'm an adult now /

Sometimes my head hurts and sometimes my stomach hurts / And I guess it won't be long / Till I'm sitting in a room with a bunch of people whose necks and backs are aching / Whose sight and hearing's fading / Who just can't seem to get it up / Speaking of hearing, I can't take too much loud music / I mean I like to play it, but I sure don't like the racket / Noise, but I can't hear anything / Just guitars screaming, screaming, screaming / Some guy screaming in a leather jacket /

'Cause I'm an adult now / I'm an adult now / I've got the problems of an adult / On my head and on my shoulders / I'm an adult now /

(repeat)
Back in the 90's when this song was a hit in Canada, I saw TPOH in concert, and also used the term "cheese-eating high school boy" as a common insult, so really, I'm of the opposite way of thinking about this.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2006, 05:49:01 pm by side_show »
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up