Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Metallica would be a lot less powerful if they ended every show by reciting the ABCs.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: who watches the watchers?  (Read 1023 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
who watches the watchers?
« on: January 20, 2006, 11:26:14 pm »

I asked my english teacher if she knew where this came from, and she couldn't remember.
In Watchmen (which is brilliant), there's graffiti everywhere which says "Who Watches the Watchers?". What is this from? The only thing I can find online is an episode of Star Trek (TOS)... is this the original source?
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: who watches the watchers?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2006, 11:29:13 pm »

Originally it's an old Latin phrase:

Qui custodiet ipsos custodes?

or "Who guards the guardians".

Stated, as far as I know by Decimus Junius Juvenalis or JUVENAL a Roman rhetorician and satirical poet (1st to 2nd cent. A.D.)
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: who watches the watchers?
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2006, 12:15:13 am »

isn't it "who will guard the guards themselves?" I think custodiet might be subjunctive... hm.


thanks.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind
Pages: [1]   Go Up