Hi all,
*sarcasm* So after having just the most wonderful time at the dinner theatre last night, *sarcasm"* I need to spend the entire rest of the weekend reading plays that have been submitted for a theatre festival, as I am on the jury, and since I like to share, I'd like to note that there is a lot of really bad shit out there. Just to keep myself sane, I'll be tucking in here every so often to update everyone on the garbage I've been reading. By the deadline on Monday, I'll have read thousands of pages of scripts upon scripts, and hopefully have a few decent titles picked out. I'm skipping my yoga class as you read this, so I'm already pretty cranky about this shit - I've been reading plays for over a month, and have yet to find anything all that good.
Of the 25 or so that I've read so far, here are the stand-out bad ones.
For starters:
One play was submitted by a girl who mentions in her cover letter that she has been institutionalized several times and hates her mother. She also states that she will perform the play herself, and notes that the idea for the script came to her when she met a stranger at the river and spent hours talking with him about a parallel reality/world. The play itself seems to be an angry rant at her mother, and is an unfocused rambling with no apparent theme or story, unless the theme is that the playwright is mentally ill and wants to have people sit and watch her be mentally ill for 2 hours. I almost want to suggest this train wreck for production, just because it would be fascinating to watch for all the wrong reasons.
Another play is about an alternate universe, in a home for unwed fathers, where men's ears grow large and blue if they impregnate a woman (the women show no signs of pregnancy) and if young men aren't "bonded" to their sex partners they are put into the above mentioned home.
I'm going to get back to it now.