Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Note how white pepper, ground freshly into one's hand, makes it smell as though you've been rubbing your open palm around on a horse's anus.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Reading this weekend...  (Read 2513 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: Reading this weekend...
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2006, 03:06:43 am »

They're erogenous.
Logged

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: Reading this weekend...
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2006, 03:40:53 am »

Paul - they are all written by women, the festival is a festival of one act plays by feminist women playwrights. Fem + Fest.

Ouch.

I started college classes this week for the first time in six years. Finally decided to wrap it up. My first reading assignment was a play about a professor accused of sexual harrassment. I groaned when I realized I was going to have to read it, but after the violent parts, I kinda liked it. It's kinda fun whipping up on all the 19 and 20 year-olds in the class. This is an introduction class and I've already gone up and through my Senior Seminar class - I'm just backfilling degree requirements after the long absence. It's kinda fun reading like this again. I couldn't be bothered before.
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Reading this weekend...
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2006, 02:38:50 am »

Sounds like "Oleanna" by David Mamet.  Was that the one?  It's basically about a power struggle, like most Mamet plays, and the whole sexual harassment theme is really on the periphery of the central issue of the play - manipulation and the abuse of power.  Who was it who said "abuse of power comes as no surprise?"  I was trying to track the origin of that quote, but can't find the origin, I think maybe Shakespeare?

(FYI - if that is the play, there's a film version of Oleanna with William H Macy as the professor, which is boring as a film, but useful if you need to review the play.)

(Found it - It was artist Jenny Holzer, but I saw her art show at the same time as I saw Richard III, hence why I thought it was Shakespeare.)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2006, 02:42:27 am by side_show »
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: Reading this weekend...
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2006, 11:10:45 pm »

Sounds like "Oleanna" by David Mamet.  Was that the one?

A tiny can for the correct guess. It's a kinda weird pick for a first text to read in a class - maybe it's the prof's way of saying "Don't mess with me or I'll bring the heat!" - but I've found it awakened the nerd in me that likes to make shit up about books. Which, ultimately, is all literary criticism is really about, anyway. I compared John and Carol to the Sith today... that was fun.
Logged
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up