Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood "One of Your Shoes is By the Dog Food: A Tale of Things Not Worth Mentioning During Married Life," is out in September on Harper-Doubleday.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Yoga mix  (Read 17310 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

starlight

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 323
    • View Profile
    • http://www.livejournal.com/~aekastar
Yoga mix
« on: January 22, 2006, 06:31:44 am »

Hi, I uploaded a mix I made today for the yoga class my mom teaches and decided since I knew some people liked my musical taste, I'd post the result here as well. :)

(If this is too egocentric of me, let me know and I can delete it; just felt like sharing is all)

Breathe It In
Yoga Mix Vol.3


01. Okkervil River - No Key No Plan
02. The National - 90-Mile Water Wall
03. Antony & The Johnsons - River of Sorrow
04. Built to Spill - Car
05. Howling Bells - The Night Is Young
06. Emiliana Torrini - Next Time Around
07. Wilco - Theologians
08. Wolf Parade - Modern World
09. John Lennon - Oh Yoko
10. The Appleseed Cast - Sunlit Ascending
11. The Tears - Apollo 13
12. Ester Drang - Grave Mistake
13. Arab Strap - Don't Ask Me To Dance
14. Cocteau Twins - The Itchy Glowbo Blow
15. James Blunt - You're Beautiful (Clean Version)
16. Vashti Bunyan - Here Before
17. Steve Ross - Hara Hara Shankara
18. Tortoise & Bonnie 'Prince' Billy - The Calvary Cross (Richard Thompson)
19. Santana - Just Feel Better (Feat. Steven Tyler)
20. My Morning Jacket - Dondante

I didn't choose tracks 15, 17 or 19.  mom wanted them on there.  I still found a way to make them sound pleasing flow-wise I think.  almost all songs have been edited to take out the pauses. track 11 is by former london suede if it sounds familiar to you.

If any files don't work, let me know.  I did have friends test them, but I could run over my bandwidth.

Edit track 18 has been fixed.  the file name was too long and wasn't showing up right.  funny the friends I had test it didn't mention this!  heh.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2006, 06:49:30 am by starlight »
Logged
Texas only kept me awake

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Yoga mix
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2006, 06:36:44 am »

How wonderful to see you.  Please don't be such a stranger. 

And try to keep Paul in Texas.  He belongs there.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

starlight

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 323
    • View Profile
    • http://www.livejournal.com/~aekastar
Re: Yoga mix
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2006, 06:42:25 am »

Thanks AW!

Yeah, I check everyday, but I don't always have something to say... I'll try to speak up more :D
Logged
Texas only kept me awake

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Yoga mix
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2006, 06:46:50 am »

Good lord, if we all waited until we had something to say nothing would ever get posted.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

starlight

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 323
    • View Profile
    • http://www.livejournal.com/~aekastar
Re: Yoga mix
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2006, 06:52:32 am »

True.
I'm glad all y'all continue to speak up since I'm entertained reading it all.
Lately I've been a bit shy even in other areas of the web, so I'll try to step it up even if I think you guys are way more witty than I. ;)
Logged
Texas only kept me awake

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Yoga mix
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2006, 07:33:10 am »

Thanks for sharing.  I actually have a great number of these tracks already, but I will grab a few that I'd like to check out.  This is actually a really cool way to offer up a "mix tape" for people - I have uploaded tracks for people to grab before, but ever afeared of the RIAA I've always made them hidden and secret.

starlight

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 323
    • View Profile
    • http://www.livejournal.com/~aekastar
Re: Yoga mix
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2006, 08:20:58 am »

Yeah, I semi-fear the RIAA at times, but mostly, I don't offer up non-indie bands and when I do, it's only one track (there are tons of mp3 blogs out there now, so it seems more safe; I've only heard of a few of those blogs getting asked to take a song down).
I'm more careful if people want full length albums.

I mentioned downloading one particular album on my lj / offered up mp3s recently and someone who worked on the band's website found me through google; all they asked was if I was going to buy it when it came out.. ahah.  I think most bands encourage downloading as long as they're supported in some way.
Logged
Texas only kept me awake

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Yoga mix
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2006, 03:06:05 pm »

Wow, so that Tortoise/Bonne 'Prince' Billy track is fantastic.  As a fan of both bands, I'm excited for that album to come out, but am also a bit wary.  But that track's great.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: Yoga mix
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2006, 04:23:36 pm »

Thank you for the tracks.  Some of these I haven't heard before and they were delicious.
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

Roger

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 22
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 311
  • Who watches the smiling fries?
    • View Profile
    • http://www.last.fm/user/rogermarmo/
Re: Yoga mix
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2006, 05:00:55 pm »

Wow that's a great selection. Okkervil River is the best thing I heard in 2005.
Thanks and congrats.
Logged
Gabba Gabba Hegel!

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Yoga mix
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2006, 06:34:08 pm »

Overkill River opened for The Decemberist last year, but I arrived late and missed them.  Everyone was talking about how great they were.  Looks like they are starting to take off now.  Shoot!

I did take  a picture of the drummer's drivers license.

Here he is with the drummer from The Decemberist.

~Paul



Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

starlight

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 323
    • View Profile
    • http://www.livejournal.com/~aekastar
Re: Yoga mix
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2006, 07:23:29 pm »

miles - I've heard the whole thing.  unfortunately, that was one of the better tracks.  some were funny, some were rather crazy / noisy, but yeah.. not completely listenable.  this one and a couple others were the only ones close to their usual style.  I'll prob. still buy it this coming week...

pmcd9 - a picture for everything, eh? ;)
I did hear they came to Houston in November last, but I, too got into them late.  I didn't get the album till xmas and didn't know how great they were till I downloaded tracks I found on top album lists.  it would've definitely gotten on mine if I had.. heh.
Logged
Texas only kept me awake

Roger

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 22
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 311
  • Who watches the smiling fries?
    • View Profile
    • http://www.last.fm/user/rogermarmo/
Re: Yoga mix
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2006, 08:13:19 pm »

Speaking of mix tapes, or whatever this is called in the 21st century, I just got this through the mail. It's a great collection of testimonies (organized by Thurston Moore from Sonic Youth) from artists, musicians and assorted folks about their relationship with the mix tapes they made and received throughout their lives. It's sure to speak deeply to anyone who spent many an hour doing maths with track times in order to best fill two sides of a 60 min tape.
Logged
Gabba Gabba Hegel!

starlight

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 323
    • View Profile
    • http://www.livejournal.com/~aekastar
Re: Yoga mix
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2006, 08:30:28 pm »

It's sure to speak deeply to anyone who spent many an hour doing maths with track times in order to best fill two sides of a 60 min tape.

Hee!
I used to do this back before I had a cd burner... it was a bit satisfying in the end (I'm a bit OCD sometimes.. ahah), but yeah, I do like the ease of the mix cd now :D

(I sometimes bought the 120min tapes though)
Logged
Texas only kept me awake

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Yoga mix
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2006, 12:49:12 am »

God, I still have a pack of Maxell 90 minuters.  The switch to CDs was so abrupt that I never got to finish off the last pack.  I became so anal about the tapes I bought.  Never anything more than 90 minutes.  Never.  And, you're right.  It was so satisfying to get the timing just right.  I still get a bit of that satisfaction with making CDs, but not nearly as much.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up