Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

RT@achewood Would The Pet Shop Boys be nice to have over for Thanksgiving, or would they be a pain in the ass? It's really hard to tell.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: 23 January 2006 - Bonkers T. McQuack  (Read 33795 times)

0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: 23 January 2006 - Bonkers T. McQuack
« Reply #60 on: January 24, 2006, 03:23:22 am »

listen to this noah

i'm playing the world's tiniest can of dr pepper

Rumpty Dumpty, you are on fire.  First, the Criteion Collection, and now this.  Thank You.

~Paul


Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: 23 January 2006 - Bonkers T. McQuack
« Reply #61 on: January 24, 2006, 04:00:32 am »

Don't forget about gelcaps. My vegetarian friend invariably gets a headache at my apt just because I only have Tylenol gelcaps and she can't take them.

That's crazy.  Refusing to consume animals does not bring them back to life.  Nor does it send any discernable message about slaughter techniques or livestock handling.

I respect animals in the way other animals respect animals:  by eating them.  Vegitarianism is just a statement of superiority, just like this post is.  However, when I feel it is my time, I will feed myself to a tiger, the circle of life will be complete and my ideas will be justified.

I respect animals and I appreciate omnivorism!

(I have a few acquaintences who are bisexual females who are all vegetarians.  I'm always thinking, jeez, of all people you really should be down with the omnivorous thing.)
Logged
ACHIEVE

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: 23 January 2006 - Bonkers T. McQuack
« Reply #62 on: January 24, 2006, 04:28:22 am »

Dude, eating meat is unnatural.  'Cause you know, there aren't any carnivores in the wild...
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: 23 January 2006 - Bonkers T. McQuack
« Reply #63 on: January 24, 2006, 08:13:37 am »

Man I hate the not natural argument. I know you were just jossin' around thar AW, but look around people! There is not a damn thing 'natural' about our lifestyles.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: 23 January 2006 - Bonkers T. McQuack
« Reply #64 on: January 24, 2006, 01:18:47 pm »

I respect animals in the way other animals respect animals:  by eating them.

Animals respect animals?

Also, I think this could probably be used as a justification of cannibalism.  In fact, it probably has been.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: 23 January 2006 - Bonkers T. McQuack
« Reply #65 on: January 24, 2006, 01:19:37 pm »

* No miles, that does not mean you.

Shut up, Queery McQueer.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: 23 January 2006 - Bonkers T. McQuack
« Reply #66 on: January 24, 2006, 01:21:16 pm »

I know that you have raging love for me and all miles, but do not project onto me.  I do not want maximum cuddles with you.  Why can't you accept this and move on?  Stop calling me and breathing heavy into my cellphone!
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

Hobot

  • DISK ONE OF SIX
  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 21
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 861
  • Appearing in a tortilla near you.
    • View Profile
    • Your music is inadequate.
Re: 23 January 2006 - Bonkers T. McQuack
« Reply #67 on: January 24, 2006, 02:51:10 pm »

A vegan is the opposite of an ovo-lacto vegetarian, I think, in that vegans deliberately shun dairy products and eggs. Typically prefixes in front of "vegetarian" designate foods that they do eat; i.e., ovo-lacto vegetarians consume dairy products and eggs but not meat. Where I'm confused is whether "ovo-lacto" is assumed for non-vegan vegetarians or not.

As for the leather thing, I actually don't think it necessarily falls along vegan/vegetarian lines. Not wearing leather is typically a sign of ideological vegetarianism (not eating meat because they actively think human use of animals is morally suspect), not other forms. Since I know a fair number of vegetarians who do it for health or food-preference reasons, it's a distinction that can be made. I suspect that more vegans are ideological than plain ol' vegetarians, but I don't actually have, you know, data points for it...

TOUAMB, I'm going to tell you a secret.  It is a secret about me.  I have kept it as a secret because I know that some don't approve of this thing I'm about to tell you: I am vegan.  I am vegan but I am not pushy or haughty about it, and as long as people don't pester me just to get a rise out of me by telling me how many fieldmice are murdered by grain threshers every year, I am pretty cool with meat-eaters.  I have kept my veganism a secret until now because it hasn't been terribly relevant, and also because I wanted to make as good an impression as possible to all of you in the hope of staving off potential judgment based on my eating habits.  Please don't hold this against me.  I promise I am not a dick like Pat (plus I am a girl).

Personally, I try to stay away from leather and suede and the like as much as possible, but I own a pair of Birkenstock clogs and my sneakers have a bit of leather trim.  I eat honey because I don't believe that bees are harmed by humans' harvesting of honey, I don't eat gelatin because, in the words of C. Montgomery Burns, "It's made of hooves, you know!"  I did not know that gelcaps contained animal bits, but now that I am enlightened, it seems obvious.  I'll have to investigate further before I make up my mind about whether or not to ingest them.

That felt like coming out of the closet.  Don't kick me out of the house, Dad!  I don't want to join the Army!

PS - #####_god, I am a bisexual vegan.  What of that?
Logged
You had me at "I dig both ladies and fellows."

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: 23 January 2006 - Bonkers T. McQuack
« Reply #68 on: January 24, 2006, 04:14:33 pm »

Good for you Hobot!  A tiny can to you!

Eat what you want to eat and let me do the same.

Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: 23 January 2006 - Bonkers T. McQuack
« Reply #69 on: January 24, 2006, 04:16:14 pm »

Man I hate the not natural argument. I know you were just jossin' around thar AW, but look around people! There is not a damn thing 'natural' about our lifestyles.

Um, see, what I was trying to do there was point out that the "Not Natural" argument was invalid because there is a huge amount of meat eating in the wild.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: 23 January 2006 - Bonkers T. McQuack
« Reply #70 on: January 24, 2006, 04:22:14 pm »

Good for you Hobot!  A tiny can to you!

Eat what you want to eat and let me do the same.

What he said, right down to the tiny can. As long as nobody's getting preached to about best-stitutes and human tyranny over the noble sea slug or whatever, I think it's best to live and let live re: eating habits. Hell, I have mad respect for vegans who keep themselves healthy, since that has to be a non-trivial nutrition management task.

I'm vaguely amused that I have the same attitude towards gelatin that you have towards leather: I try not to consume it (mostly because at some point in late elementary school the concept of "gross! Hooves!" got stuck in my brain and won't leave), but in small or incidental doses (like, say, in gelcaps) I can deal with it.
Logged

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Logged

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Re: 23 January 2006 - Bonkers T. McQuack
« Reply #72 on: January 24, 2006, 04:45:45 pm »

Good for you Hobot!  A tiny can to you!

Eat what you want to eat and let me do the same.

My rule of thumb is that I will not eat any animal smart enough to catch a frisbee. It may not be able to catch a frisbee (no hands; like a dolphin or elephant), or willing to catch a frisbee (cats, ferrets, any other pet that will eat you when they find you dead), but if it understands yes, that is a frisbee, and it is meant for catching then I will not eat it. I call it Frisbeetarianism (boo, hiss, but really, i do)

This includes such things as:
  • dogs
  • cats
  • most carnivores and omnivores, actually, except pandas
  • dolphins and toothed whales
  • octopi (they're damned smart)
  • primates
  • elephants
  • yetis
  • crows
  • parrots

and more. It should include, but doesn't due to my hypocrisy:

  • equines (have you seen those Lippizanners?)
  • pigs (a smart animal, but i guess if they were so smart, they would have escaped)

It does not include:

  • giraffe
  • lagomorphs and rodents
  • pandas (too stupid to screw for their species)
  • most birds except crows, magpies, parrots, mockingbirds etc
  • invertebrates
  • My cat
  • most ungulates except goats
  • The rare Rock Hyrax
  • Terri Schiavo
  • most insects (although a hive mind is considered intelligent enough to catch a frisbee; so, i'd eat a dried bee but not an entire hive of dried bees)


Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: 23 January 2006 - Bonkers T. McQuack
« Reply #73 on: January 24, 2006, 05:03:13 pm »

Poor pigs.  If they were so smart, they'd figure out a way not to be so damn delicious.

I don't care what Hobot eats as long as we can make fun of her for it like we make fun of everyone else for everything else.  I have to say though that I've never understood people who include giraffe in what they don't eat for moral reasons.  People, have you ever looked a giraffe in the eye?  There is noone home.

Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Roger

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 22
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 311
  • Who watches the smiling fries?
    • View Profile
    • http://www.last.fm/user/rogermarmo/
Re: 23 January 2006 - Bonkers T. McQuack
« Reply #74 on: January 24, 2006, 05:09:58 pm »

Perhaps because it's a chicken's period and that's fuck*ng nasty no matter what religion you are.



Thank you so very much for ruining eggs for me.
Logged
Gabba Gabba Hegel!

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13   Go Up