Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

RT@achewood Surprising fact: wearing clothes burns 12 more calories per day than nudity.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: 23 January 2006 - Bonkers T. McQuack  (Read 33865 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Re: 23 January 2006 - Bonkers T. McQuack
« Reply #90 on: January 25, 2006, 01:12:32 am »

Wait a minute...

Does that mean you won't eat cats, except for your own? That seems a little fucked up, but then again, it's you.

He doesn't meet the intelligence criterion.
Logged

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: 23 January 2006 - Bonkers T. McQuack
« Reply #91 on: January 25, 2006, 01:15:15 am »

I've never understood the "I won't judge you for eating meat" thing. If you honestly believe that eating any animal is morally the equivalent of eating a human, how can you not say anything? I mean, isn't that morally lazy? I have a similar problem with Christianity-- if you honestly believe that by converting someone to christianity, you are saving them from an alternative of hell, isn't it incredibly selgiraffe and horrible to refrain from trying to convert everyone you meet?

I know that these things I say must be wrong, but I cannot for the life of me understand why. I wish every religion could have the "these are our rules, but if you don't follow them... I suppose its ok. You don't know any better" attitude that Judaism has. But... that's kind of a cop-out.

Probably a lot of it has to do with not being a fuckface to everyone you meet.  You know, getting along with people.  Sure, my Christian/Mormon friends believe that my carousing is sure to save me a seat on the train to Hell, but they still enjoy my company.  What can I say?  I'm witty and handsome.

Pat's character is so funny because he is not like most people in this respect.

Eating an animal, like, say, a cow, is probably morally equivalent to eating Terry Schiavo.  Which is to say that it's not morally equivalent to eating MisterQueue, which is reprehensible, as tasty as Jough has assured me he is.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: 23 January 2006 - Bonkers T. McQuack
« Reply #92 on: January 25, 2006, 01:22:45 am »


Eating an animal, like, say, a cow, is probably morally equivalent to eating Terry Schiavo.  Which is to say that it's not morally equivalent to eating MisterQueue, which is reprehensible, as tasty as Jough has assured me he is.

Eating me IS reprehensible; unless you're a nubile young lady.  In such a case as that eating me is a duty and/or preferrence that one cannot ignore!   

Jough eating me, however, is the stuff of nightmares; and I should know, I have the worst of them.  *shudder*
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: 23 January 2006 - Bonkers T. McQuack
« Reply #93 on: January 25, 2006, 01:33:27 am »

I think this thread is confusing 'moral' with 'ethical'.

Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: 23 January 2006 - Bonkers T. McQuack
« Reply #94 on: January 25, 2006, 01:36:21 am »

I think this thread is confusing 'moral' with 'ethical'.

Main Entry: 1mor·al
Pronunciation: 'mor-&l, 'mär-
Function: adjective
1 a : of or relating to principles of right and wrong in behavior : ETHICAL

Yes, right underneath that it says that "moral" implies conformity while ethical is more subtle. But it's funnier this way.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2006, 01:41:09 am by CortJstr »
Logged

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Re: 23 January 2006 - Bonkers T. McQuack
« Reply #95 on: January 25, 2006, 01:51:23 am »

wombat (and everyone else): If you don't make fun of me for my veganism, I'll feel left out.  I have a good sense of humor about it; the reason I posted the way I did was to ensure that no one holds against me the fact that I'm vegan.  To prove I'm a good sport: I found Bobby's "Yay! ... Oh." comment hilarious.

Donations of Dr. Pepper gladly appreciated.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: 23 January 2006 - Bonkers T. McQuack
« Reply #96 on: January 25, 2006, 02:39:20 am »

Hobot, you are the new Andalucia.  We miss Andalucia.  Why oh why did she have to get a life.  Hobot, promise us you won't get a life.  And don't get a tattoo of the Chrysler Building on your ankle, it's been done.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: 23 January 2006 - Bonkers T. McQuack
« Reply #97 on: January 25, 2006, 04:03:51 am »


So instead, I'll share a link with the most recent Dinosaur Comics, which struck me as pretty coincidental.


Didn't he used to post here?  The Dinosaur Comics guy?

Also, welcome Petie.  Congratulations on not making your first post content-free.  It's all downhill from here.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: 23 January 2006 - Bonkers T. McQuack
« Reply #98 on: January 25, 2006, 04:08:01 am »

wombat-- I cannot deal with my girlfriend being bisexual at all. I just try to keep it hidden. i am a paranod jerk, and I hate it. but I keep it inside, because otherwise she gets really upset.

its mostly her fault, though. She cannot understand that I don't like hearing about anyone she's dated/kissed/whatever. I don't care if it's a girl. or a boy. I just don't want to hear it. And normally she remembers, but then, in public, with my friends she'll be like "yeah, I totally got it on with that girl", blatantly.
or make jokes about the time she cheated on me with some girl. and then not understand why it makes me mad.


it is upsetting. But I try hard to not be a dick about it. I'd be more OK with it if it weren't for the fact that she can't restrain herself. I am sometimes attracted to other people-- but I don't feel the need to go into graphic detail about it every single time I see them. "oh god, andrew, every time I see him I get weak in the knees *makes little sighing sound*".
Not to mention the "would you mind if I (dated a girl/kissed a girl/whatever)?"

Some people just can't take a hint. and I try hard to tell her no in a way that doesn't come off the wrong way. But I probably fail sometimes.

So, in conclusion: yes, it is very upsetting.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

starlight

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 323
    • View Profile
    • http://www.livejournal.com/~aekastar
Re: 23 January 2006 - Bonkers T. McQuack
« Reply #99 on: January 25, 2006, 04:30:49 am »

Concerning the bisexual thing.. while I've never been faced with that, I can understand the jealousy thing.
I am borderline though since I don't mind past stories; in fact, I enjoy knowing someone's history as long as it's not completely gross / creepy sounding.. well, if it were, I may change my mind about that person, so perhaps good to know anyway.

I def. don't like it when a guy I like begins talking about someone else then posing hypothetical questions about what I'd think if...
especially since a couple guys I've liked have had a fixation on my mom which is incredibly uncomfortable to hear; I think they liked to see me squirm really :|
Logged
Texas only kept me awake

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: 23 January 2006 - Bonkers T. McQuack
« Reply #100 on: January 25, 2006, 04:35:34 am »

So instead, I'll share a link with the most recent Dinosaur Comics, which struck me as pretty coincidental.

Well, Ryan, the dude who makes the Dinosaur Comics, is an Achewood reader and even has an account here, so it may not be that coincidental.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: 23 January 2006 - Bonkers T. McQuack
« Reply #101 on: January 25, 2006, 04:39:03 am »

I def. don't like it when a guy I like begins talking about someone else then posing hypothetical questions about what I'd think if...
especially since a couple guys I've liked have had a fixation on my mom which is incredibly uncomfortable to hear; I think they liked to see me squirm really :|

Uhh, you should post a picture of your Mom. Um For Research, yeah.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: 23 January 2006 - Bonkers T. McQuack
« Reply #102 on: January 25, 2006, 04:47:56 am »

Main Entry: 1mor·al
Pronunciation: 'mor-&l, 'mär-
Function: adjective
1 a : of or relating to principles of right and wrong in behavior : ETHICAL

Yes, right underneath that it says that "moral" implies conformity while ethical is more subtle. But it's funnier this way.

Nice little type, Crap Dude. I tend to agree that these are not synonymous but in my little world, ethical behavior is relative to a specific sub-community or subculture (ethos amont thieves or lawyers, for instance) that don't necessarily apply to everyone in the larger community.  Morals on the other hand (again, in my little world) are relative to more general standards of conduct and more often derived from some sense of right and wrong that comes from something beyond the natural. I take back the crap dude
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: 23 January 2006 - Bonkers T. McQuack
« Reply #103 on: January 25, 2006, 04:55:29 am »

Nice little type, Crap Dude. I tend to agree that these are not synonymous but in my little world, ethical behavior is relative to a specific sub-community or subculture (ethos amont thieves or lawyers, for instance) that don't necessarily apply to everyone in the larger community.  Morals on the other hand (again, in my little world) are relative to more general standards of conduct and more often derived from some sense of right and wrong that comes from something beyond the natural. I take back the crap dude


M-W actually goes the opposite way, I think. Since moral is derived from the word for custom (as is mores) meaning that "morality" is actually very fluid and might have nothing to do with what's "right" just what flies where you are at the time. So in the 30's racism was moral because it was the accepted custom but it still wasn't ethical.
Logged

starlight

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 323
    • View Profile
    • http://www.livejournal.com/~aekastar
Re: 23 January 2006 - Bonkers T. McQuack
« Reply #104 on: January 25, 2006, 05:30:04 am »

Uhh, you should post a picture of your Mom. Um For Research, yeah.

~Paul

Well... she does like when I pimp her site... her picture is on there somewhere, so I present a small challenge- yogamix*

* and yeah, for the record, that is me modeling one of the shirts she sells on the front page.. heh..
Logged
Texas only kept me awake
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13   Go Up