I've...never...really, y'know....liked Volume 4. You could lose half of that album and be better off.
[/sacrilege]
Vol. 4 is my least favorite Original Sabbath Album.
~Paul
I'll admit I'm probably a little overenthusiastic about Black Sabbath, what with the boxed set and the videos and the alternate label albums and shit, but remember, when you are bagging on Vol. 4, that this was the same lineup that A: allowed Geezer to basically write a full album-worth of misogynistic rants directed at his ex-wife (
Technical Ecstasy) and B: begged Ozzy to rejoin the band to record another album (
Never say Die) that should probably have been called something like
Why Won't You Fuckers Let This Band Die. Both
Heaven and Hell and
The Mob Rules are light-years better than those two, and
Born Again is at least as good - and it's fuc
king awful.
Now obviously, "Changes" is hor
sehit. "FX" is basically a throwaway space-filler. "Laguna Sunrise" is atmospheric claptrap. But "Supernaut" may be Sabbath at their most metal, and "Snowblind" is a much stronger and more mature song than "Sweet Leaf" - indeed, it's sort of surprising that it's such an indictement of drugs, given the latter's idyllic description of drugs and Ozzy's eventual self-destruction.
To be fair, Sabbath always had a habit of putting one or two songs on each album that just don't make any sense, and are pretty much instant skips. On the first album, the whole "Bit of Finger" suite is tough to take, and the cover of "Evil Woman" is pretty weak.
Paranoid's "Planet Caravan" is nice - after about 15 bong hits. Seriously,the jazz-noodling mixed with Ozzy's effect-laden vocals make for an interminable 4 1/2 minutes. On
Master of Reality, there's "Sweet Leaf". It's a gimmick, and doesn't stand up well. "Embryo" and "Orchid" are Tony perhaps indulging himself overmuch. "Solitude" is every bit as bad as "Changes".
Sabbath Bloody Sabbath introduced the band's first foray into synthesizers. This album boasts "Fluff" - Black Sabbath's (perhaps ironically named) worst song. The last three songs on the album all have their moments, but the fuc
king keyboards just overwhelm anything enjoyable about them. And then there's the final valid Ozzy album -
Sabotage. "Don't Start (Too Late)", is often recorded by other bands, but titled "Intro". If the other bands are really nice, they just make it part of the other, better song. Hmm, "Supertzar". It's another intro, or "Unititled", if you're Oasis - only this time it's nearly four minutes long. I know that Sabbath didn't anticipate the invention of random, but it's no kind of deal when you sit through "Don't Start (Too Late)" and you don't then get to listen to "Symptom of the Universe". At least "Supertzar" is followed up by the wretched "Am I Going Insane (Radio)", which we weren't going to listen to anyway. Hey guys? The laughing thing seemed cool when you recorded it, I'm sure, but it's the kind of thing that's only interesting the first time through.
I think the main problem with Vol. 4, if it has one, is that it's so unrelentingly bleak. The songs are about the assured destruction of everything from individuals to society to the planet itself. And the music, from Tony's downright evil riffs to the crunching, juggernaut of Sabbath's rhythm section, simply reinforces the "negative vibe". Though the album wraps up with Ozzy stating "just believe in yourself . . . live your life and leave them all behind" it's not enough to make up for lines like "try your hardest, you'll still be a loser", "take a life it's going cheap, kill someone no one will weep, freedom's yours just pay your dues, we just want your soul to use", "I don't even believe in peace", and "let them have their little toys, matchbox cars and mortgaged joys".
Well, I'm sorry we all had to go through that. It didn't start out all that bloated, but it sort of got away from me. I would like to point out that another reason we all have 10 hours of AC/DC and only 45 minutes of Frizzle Ferdinizzle is because that's all there is of either band. Plus, AC/DC is quite frankly more fun. I also though of another band that sort of records the same songs over and over, and oddly enough it's another FF band: Foo Fighters. I like 'em, but it all seems to run together.