Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

this is a messageboard. people talk about stuffs in messageboards. all is well&all is good.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: 31 Jan 2006 - Whose ass am I kicking?  (Read 21358 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: 31 Jan 2006 - Whose ass am I kicking?
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2006, 03:37:48 pm »

Presumably if Ray was just a regular cat off the street he'd need to fight several qualifying rounds, probably against several opponents each time. But as BOC he gets just one fight against one guy.

I can't wait for the Burgess Meredith-esque character to show up.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: 31 Jan 2006 - Whose ass am I kicking?
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2006, 03:53:43 pm »

I can't think of anything witty to say about it, but I love this.  I love Envelope.  I love the animatronic Nativity display.  I love the alt-text.   I love "beep bop dootle dop."  I am loving this comic strip very much today.  Thank you Mr Onstad for my free entertainment.

 
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Roger

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 22
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 311
  • Who watches the smiling fries?
    • View Profile
    • http://www.last.fm/user/rogermarmo/
Re: 31 Jan 2006 - Whose ass am I kicking?
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2006, 04:52:41 pm »

Envelópe Martinez is so fucken brilliant.
Of course, it must be pronounced enve-LOW-pay.
Logged
Gabba Gabba Hegel!

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Re: 31 Jan 2006 - Whose ass am I kicking?
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2006, 04:59:41 pm »

Envelópe Martinez is so fucken brilliant.
Of course, it must be pronounced enve-LOW-pay.

I can't put my finger on it, but something about the accent on the O doesn't sit right with me. It doesn't strike me as following the phonemic rules for Spanish, like the emphasis is on the wrong syllable for that vowel. Maybe Wombat can back me up.The name really sounds like it should be Envélope instead.

Logged

Hobo Frenzy

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 222
  • fuck*ng Moto Guzzi
    • View Profile
    • the best site in the universe
Re: 31 Jan 2006 - Whose ass am I kicking?
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2006, 05:17:32 pm »

I'm no expert on Spanish talk but I think as far as names go you can go hog wild and place accents on any old vowel you want. Like Roger said it would be pronounced "en-ve-LO-pay".

This strip is in fact very good! Beep Bop Dootle Dop was by far the highlight and deserves to be remembered. And the thought that we'll get to see Ray's neighbor is exciting I love where this is going and to think it came from that sackchat thing. Speaking of which Ray's phone does not have a sack hanging from it. That didn't last long.
Logged
Hey, what's this? Cursive?

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: 31 Jan 2006 - Whose ass am I kicking?
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2006, 05:21:18 pm »

Yes, but is it EHN-ve-LOW-pay  or AHN-ve-LOW-Pay? That's what I want to know.
Logged

Roger

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 22
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 311
  • Who watches the smiling fries?
    • View Profile
    • http://www.last.fm/user/rogermarmo/
Re: 31 Jan 2006 - Whose ass am I kicking?
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2006, 05:21:48 pm »

I can't put my finger on it, but something about the accent on the O doesn't sit right with me. It doesn't strike me as following the phonemic rules for Spanish, like the emphasis is on the wrong syllable for that vowel. Maybe Wombat can back me up.The name really sounds like it should be Envélope instead.



I'm no authority on Spanish either, but in Portuguese we use the same word, and the accent is on the O. The difference is that we pronounce it more like enve-LAW-pay.
In any case, I was thinking of something similar to guadalupe.
Logged
Gabba Gabba Hegel!

mrchee

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: -4
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 163
  • -NULLAM REM NATAM-
    • View Profile
Re: 31 Jan 2006 - Whose ass am I kicking?
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2006, 05:26:18 pm »

I'm no authority on Spanish either, but in Portuguese we use the same word, and the accent is on the O. The difference is that we pronounce it more like enve-LAW-pay.
In any case, I was thinking of something similar to guadalupe.

In spanish you don't need the accent mark on the O in "Envelope" at all.  By default [in the absence of accent marks] the pronounced accent is always on the second-to-last syllable if the word ends in a vowel.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2006, 05:30:54 pm by mrchee »
Logged
If no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire... The A-Team

Hobo Frenzy

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 222
  • fuck*ng Moto Guzzi
    • View Profile
    • the best site in the universe
Re: 31 Jan 2006 - Whose ass am I kicking?
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2006, 05:31:22 pm »

Yes, but is it EHN-ve-LOW-pay  or AHN-ve-LOW-Pay? That's what I want to know.

If I had to pick between those two pronunciations I'd say it's definitely "ehn-ve-LO-pay". The other, "ahn-ve-LO-pay", would be Anvelope. As far as I know most letter's and words in Spanish are pronounced the way they look (unlike stupid old English(read/read lead/lead way/weigh)) so the E in Envelope would have an Eh sound to it, like pathetic. And the A in Anvelope would sound like that noise you make when the doctor puts the stick down your throat. "Say Ahh!"

dang i like teletype, it's the shit
Logged
Hey, what's this? Cursive?

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: 31 Jan 2006 - Whose ass am I kicking?
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2006, 05:34:33 pm »

I think Mr Chee is correct.   You only use the accent mark in Spanish if the accent is on an unexpected syllable.  You don't bother using it for the predictable, regular accent.  Unfortunately I am currently in a caffeine-deprived state that is interfering with my ability to remember what the stress rule for Spanish is - goddamit people why won't you let me leave my past behind anyway - but I think it sounds right that we don't really need the accent mark.

Oh, and the first syllable is definitely not "Ahn".  You're thinking French, or something.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

mrchee

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: -4
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 163
  • -NULLAM REM NATAM-
    • View Profile
Re: 31 Jan 2006 - Whose ass am I kicking?
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2006, 05:43:49 pm »

I think Mr Chee is correct.   You only use the accent mark in Spanish if the accent is on an unexpected syllable.  You don't bother using it for the predictable, regular accent.  Unfortunately I am currently in a caffeine-deprived state that is interfering with my ability to remember what the stress rule for Spanish is - goddamit people why won't you let me leave my past behind anyway - but I think it sounds right that we don't really need the accent mark.

Trust me on Spanish, mate.  I have put very much thought and research into language in general and Spanish in particular.

The major rules for accenting in Spanish [Castellano] are as follows.

1)   If the word ends in n, s, or a vowel the word is by default pronounced with an accent on the second-to-last syllable and no accent mark is placed.
1a)  If the accent is NOT on the penultimate syllable then the accent mark is on whatever vowel is accented.
2)   If the word does not end in a letter from (1) then the accent by default is on the last syllable and no accent mark is placed.
2b)  If the accent is not on the last syllable the accent mark is similarly placed on whatever vowel is accented
3)   If two words are spelt exactly the same one must have an accent mark on the stressed syllable to differentiate the two.  Generally the word that is more forceful or emphatic is the one spelt with the mark
Logged
If no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire... The A-Team

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Re: 31 Jan 2006 - Whose ass am I kicking?
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2006, 06:07:36 pm »

In spanish you don't need the accent mark on the O in "Envelope" at all.  By default [in the absence of accent marks] the pronounced accent is always on the second-to-last syllable if the word ends in a vowel.

Maybe that's why the word looks funny to me then.
Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: 31 Jan 2006 - Whose ass am I kicking?
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2006, 06:10:47 pm »

I think Mr Chee is correct.   You only use the accent mark in Spanish if the accent is on an unexpected syllable.  You don't bother using it for the predictable, regular accent.  Unfortunately I am currently in a caffeine-deprived state that is interfering with my ability to remember what the stress rule for Spanish is - goddamit people why won't you let me leave my past behind anyway - but I think it sounds right that we don't really need the accent mark.

Oh, and the first syllable is definitely not "Ahn".  You're thinking French, or something.

You guys take things way to seriously.

So, Vayse or Vahse?
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: 31 Jan 2006 - Whose ass am I kicking?
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2006, 06:51:32 pm »

So, Vayse or Vahse?

According to Miss Manners, it's only a VAHse if you plan to put DAHsies in it. I follow her rule.

I feel like I should split this, but I'm not sure how...

Anyway, "Envelope Martinez" wins this strip. That's all.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: 31 Jan 2006 - Whose ass am I kicking?
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2006, 06:52:45 pm »

What if you put Dahlias in it?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Up