Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Hydroponic seltzer clams.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: 31 Jan 2006 - Whose ass am I kicking?  (Read 21418 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: 31 Jan 2006 - Whose ass am I kicking?
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2006, 07:22:14 pm »

Tomaytoes or Tomahtoes?

Coohpons or Cue-pons?
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: 31 Jan 2006 - Whose ass am I kicking?
« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2006, 10:33:53 pm »

Tom AY toes.

COO pons.

Vase rhymes with Phase.

WELCOME TO AMERICAN ENGLISH 101

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Re: 31 Jan 2006 - Whose ass am I kicking?
« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2006, 10:37:46 pm »

Tom AY toes.

COO pons.

Vase rhymes with Phase.

WELCOME TO AMERICAN ENGLISH 101

I get irritated when people say "coo min" instead of "cyoo min" even though I intellectually believe the former is the proper pronounciation.
Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: 31 Jan 2006 - Whose ass am I kicking?
« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2006, 10:54:46 pm »

How do you pronounce Worcestershire?

Wer-CEST-er-sheer?
WER-ster-sheer?
Wor-ces-ter-shy-er?
WUR-stur-shur?
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: 31 Jan 2006 - Whose ass am I kicking?
« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2006, 11:09:39 pm »

How do you pronounce Worcestershire?

Garum
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: 31 Jan 2006 - Whose ass am I kicking?
« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2006, 11:11:10 pm »

Wander like the wind, little thread!
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

acoxcae

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 314
  • Because I don't have one. Never have.
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
Re: 31 Jan 2006 - Whose ass am I kicking?
« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2006, 11:13:14 pm »

As follows:

vayse
COO-pons
to-MAY-toes
WUR-stur-shur

And now that we're through with that...

Let's call the whole thing off.
Logged
this new board has a shitload of buttons.

why are there no zippers?
-thanks ark

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: 31 Jan 2006 - Whose ass am I kicking?
« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2006, 02:00:54 am »

Worcestershire?

I pronounce it so it rhymes with "Jough".
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Hobo Frenzy

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 222
  • fuck*ng Moto Guzzi
    • View Profile
    • the best site in the universe
Re: 31 Jan 2006 - Whose ass am I kicking?
« Reply #38 on: February 01, 2006, 02:04:40 am »

jough = joe, rhymes with dough?
Logged
Hey, what's this? Cursive?

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: 31 Jan 2006 - Whose ass am I kicking?
« Reply #39 on: February 01, 2006, 02:06:46 am »

Vase rhymes with Phase.

Rhymes with face you mean.  Phase rhymes with stays.

and you are the poetry dude too.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

acoxcae

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 314
  • Because I don't have one. Never have.
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
Re: 31 Jan 2006 - Whose ass am I kicking?
« Reply #40 on: February 01, 2006, 02:09:19 am »

jough = joe, rhymes with dough?

Isn't there a thread somewhere where Jough talks about the pronunciation of his name?  All I know is that it is neither Jough like Joe nor Jough like Jeff.

I gave up around there, and when pronouncing it mentally, I give it the same sort of strange back of the throat emphasis that Brits give to Vincent van Gogh.
Logged
this new board has a shitload of buttons.

why are there no zippers?
-thanks ark

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: 31 Jan 2006 - Whose ass am I kicking?
« Reply #41 on: February 01, 2006, 02:11:47 am »

Tomatoes = to-MAY-toes
Coupons = COO-pons
Worcestershire? = WUR-stur-shire
Jough = Steve

~Paul = Awesome
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

littlefox

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 13
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 76
    • View Profile
Re: 31 Jan 2006 - Whose ass am I kicking?
« Reply #42 on: February 01, 2006, 02:42:12 am »

Rhymes with face you mean.  Phase rhymes with stays.

and you are the poetry dude too.

~Paul

I was about to say this, TOO! "Vase rhymes with phase"? What? You mean "vase rhymes with face," jough. Right?
It bugs me when people pronounce vase like, "vaws." But "phase"? What?

And ... and ... Worcester is wuhster. Therefore, Wuhstershire Sauce. Maybe that's a New England thing. "Wuh" isn't really the sound I'm looking for, but I can't think of a better way to explain the pronouncing. Wough? Wooh? It's like, the first syllable of "wuss." Wuss-ter.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: 31 Jan 2006 - Whose ass am I kicking?
« Reply #43 on: February 01, 2006, 05:28:03 am »

man.
my latin teacher should read achewood, just because he feels the need to go into hour long rants about every mispronunciation he hears.
he can back it all up, too. that's the fun part.

he contends that the "northern" way to pronounce many words is, in fact, working under reverse logic. A word is pronounced a certain way. this pronunciation is then shown using letters. Then, certain uppity northern types decide that it should be pronounced "the way it's spelled". So, wooster becomes worchester, "according to the spelling", when the spelling is really only an approximation of the pronunciation.

except for the whole "being southern" thing. There are certain words which he refuses to pronounce correctly.
so far: anything ending with "-en" Den is "din". Pen is "pin".

he is simultaneously the reason I hate latin, and the reason I love latin. damn him for that.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: 31 Jan 2006 - Whose ass am I kicking?
« Reply #44 on: February 01, 2006, 05:31:20 am »

Vase is pronounced as if the s were a z.

It does not rhyme with face.  It rhymes with phase, ways, stays, maze, pays, rays, lays, days, and gays.

No one gets "days" wrong, but everyone gets Vase wrong.  Why is that?

Also, people mispronounce "flaccid" all the time.  It's not FLAS-sid, but FLAK-sid.  You pronounce the first c as a hard k, as in succinct (although I hear people mispronounce this as suh-SINKT too).

THERE ARE RULES ABOUT ENGLISH PRONUNCIATION, PEOPLE

My favourite mispronunciation though is often, pounced sometimes as OFF-tin instead of the more correct silent-t OFF-en, whereas these same people won't say "LIST-en" for listen.

Also, library (people leave out the first r), February (same thing) and then people who ADD an r where it doesn't belong, saying BORT instead of BAWT for bought.

That's just soooooooooo lazy.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Up