Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Young man on the #6 bus, The Doors were not a British band.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: 31 Jan 2006 - Whose ass am I kicking?  (Read 21354 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Lister

  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 101
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 892
  • 2, 4, 6, 8, time to transubstantiate!
    • View Profile
Re: 31 Jan 2006 - Whose ass am I kicking?
« Reply #75 on: February 02, 2006, 02:38:49 am »

Out of curiosity what is the St. Louis "a" pronunciation?  I'm from here and lived here for a majority and I don't even know that.

Unless you're talking about the South St. Louis people who say 44 as "Farty Far", but I was a North City kid so I didn't pick that up thankfully.

That's the one.  I only used St. Louis because of a Sklaar brothers' bit about radio there.  Having spent all of 3 hours in St. Louis, I didn't know that it was actually a non-St. Louis speech pattern.
Logged
Lister.  Not that one, the other one.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: 31 Jan 2006 - Whose ass am I kicking?
« Reply #76 on: February 02, 2006, 02:45:35 am »

Yeah, as far as I know, St. Louis folk are often used as examples in television and such, because our speech is like the definition of "non-regional diction."

However, once you get a little further away from the city, people do adopt "Farty Far" type speech, as well as things like "warsh," which DRIVES ME COMPLETELY CRAZY AND MAKES ME WANT TO PUNCH PEOPLE IN THE FACE.  St. Louis proper, in contrast, has no accent that I'm aware of.

Yeah, trying living near "Warshington." I constantly want to kick these people in the throat. Just say DC if you can't pronounce the other part right, dingus.

I remember hearing a few years ago that Univision was training all their talents to speak mexican-spanish as it is supposedly the most neutral in this hemisphere
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: 31 Jan 2006 - Whose ass am I kicking?
« Reply #77 on: February 02, 2006, 03:07:09 am »

hm.

I'll bet, if you look back to... frontier times? That "warsh" was the right way to say it.
just like "varmints", and "vittles".
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: 31 Jan 2006 - Whose ass am I kicking?
« Reply #78 on: February 02, 2006, 04:11:41 am »

On the subject of vaguely frontier-y regionalisms I can't stand:
"maysure."

It was bad enough when my eighth-grade home ec teacher did this, but when I got to ninth grade and my geometry teacher did it, I wanted to cleanse it with fire.
Logged

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
Re: 31 Jan 2006 - Whose ass am I kicking?
« Reply #79 on: February 02, 2006, 05:25:15 am »

Man, I'm probably going to be an English major and I don't get worked up over your "human words."
I think that when you have regularly dealt with people who sound like they might, at any moment, just begin crowing the word "HOOTENANNY!!" over and over again, things get a little lax around the language centers of your brain.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

Hobo Frenzy

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 222
  • fuck*ng Moto Guzzi
    • View Profile
    • the best site in the universe
Re: 31 Jan 2006 - Whose ass am I kicking?
« Reply #80 on: February 02, 2006, 05:54:34 am »

I hated reading the entirety of this thread. It made me come so close to hating so many of you. I almost took away cans for craps sake! Do you guys really care that much about the pronunciation of words? People can't really help it nor should they need to help the way they talk. It's natural for us to speak this way. The only people that don't have any dialect or mispronunciations are big ass holes that like to be right all the time. They look down on others and have pointy sometimes upturned noses. They have friend but no one likes them. They wear glasses that are always in style. They are never and were never made fun of for glasses. I'd rather talk funny like than be that guy.

By the way, it was really fun to type all that.
Logged
Hey, what's this? Cursive?

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: 31 Jan 2006 - Whose ass am I kicking?
« Reply #81 on: February 02, 2006, 06:02:07 am »

Homo Frenzy is just jealous because he's not cool like we are.

Telemarketers used to teach people to speak with a Nebraskan "aw shucks" accent because it sounded trustworthy.  Imagine Johnny Carson calling you to ask if you're happy with your long distance carrier.  How can you say "no, go fuck yourself" to Johnny Carson?

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: 31 Jan 2006 - Whose ass am I kicking?
« Reply #82 on: February 02, 2006, 06:03:48 am »

big ass holes

Are you talking about Meteor Crater out in Arizona or did you mean to say "big assholes"?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Hobo Frenzy

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 222
  • fuck*ng Moto Guzzi
    • View Profile
    • the best site in the universe
Re: 31 Jan 2006 - Whose ass am I kicking?
« Reply #83 on: February 02, 2006, 06:10:45 am »

Can the hole of an ass not be two words?
Logged
Hey, what's this? Cursive?

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: 31 Jan 2006 - Whose ass am I kicking?
« Reply #84 on: February 02, 2006, 06:14:16 am »

I guess it depends on punctuation.

Like, "Gina has a big-ass hole!"

Or "Hobo Frenzy is a big ass-hole."

See?

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Re: 31 Jan 2006 - Whose ass am I kicking?
« Reply #85 on: February 02, 2006, 06:25:32 am »

I guess it depends on punctuation.

Like, "Gina has a big-ass hole!"

Or "Hobo Frenzy is a big ass-hole."

See?


HEAR YE HEAR YE

Let it be known that GINA poſſeſes Lady-Parts of a most Brobingdagnian size; such that he who tranſgreſſes their enormous Bound-aries be subjected to ENGULFMENT.

Logged

MattFish

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 43
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 371
  • A perch with a cramp / Half-pound ahi burger
    • View Profile
Re: 31 Jan 2006 - Whose ass am I kicking?
« Reply #86 on: February 02, 2006, 07:55:30 am »

Let it be known that GINA poſſeſes Lady-Parts of a most Brobingdagnian size; such that he who tranſgreſſes their enormous Bound-aries be subjected to ENGULFMENT.

Can for poſſeſes and ENGULFMENT.
Logged
I finally found a nice picture of a giraffe

otter

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 4
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 36
    • View Profile
Re: 31 Jan 2006 - Whose ass am I kicking?
« Reply #87 on: February 02, 2006, 08:05:01 am »

Guys, I'm sorry, I gotta interrupt: "Envelópe Martinez" is still the funniest shit I have ever heard.  

Jough: I have never heard anyone say "flaxid" in my life.  Anyway, even if "flaxid" makes more sense in terms of rules of pronunciation, you have to admit there's a certain cruel, onomatopoietic poetry in the "c" in "flaccid" going from a hard to a soft consonant.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2006, 08:17:01 am by otter »
Logged
um

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: 31 Jan 2006 - Whose ass am I kicking?
« Reply #88 on: February 02, 2006, 08:15:43 am »

People here in Southern California always seem to be really shocked that I'm from Alabama.  I blame Jeff Foxworthy and Larry the Cable Guy for this.  I should not have to explain accent variations to people who live where the surfer culture began but do not talk like surfers.

Royal Hawaiians were surfing here for hundreds of years before any Californian tried it.

What was the topic again?
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: 31 Jan 2006 - Whose ass am I kicking?
« Reply #89 on: February 02, 2006, 11:58:40 am »

no.
see, the double C in flaccid is...
god damn. i cannot remember the word at this early in the morning.
there are other words that have the double letter where you have to pronounce them separately. there is a word for it. hm.
I will ask people until I remember.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Up