Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

How Does He Smell?

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: 31 Jan 2006 - Whose ass am I kicking?  (Read 21391 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: 31 Jan 2006 - Whose ass am I kicking?
« Reply #90 on: February 02, 2006, 02:30:04 pm »

I gotta New York accent.
Logged
ACHIEVE

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: 31 Jan 2006 - Whose ass am I kicking?
« Reply #91 on: February 02, 2006, 03:27:30 pm »

I love my southern (Houston) accent.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Biz Markizzle

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 73
    • View Profile
Re: 31 Jan 2006 - Whose ass am I kicking?
« Reply #92 on: February 02, 2006, 03:52:38 pm »

I wish dialects in the US would not go away. Making fun of my dad for not being able to pronounce "drawers" will never get old, and I want future generations to have this same ability.

Thanks to my mom, I honestly thought "draw" was the word for "drawer" until I was a sophomore in high school. I had no idea what a "drawer" was. I think I managed to shed what few scraps of a Boston accent she had passed on to me by the time I reached adulthood, though.

Logged
Even my superficial raps are super official.

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Re: 31 Jan 2006 - Whose ass am I kicking?
« Reply #93 on: February 02, 2006, 04:12:14 pm »

Your regional colloquialisms are cute, but aren't a major problem. Poor pantsrobot still lapses into Scots now and again..
Logged

Turbo Ninja

  • A Tall Glass of Tuaca
  • Mr. Bear (Cornelius)
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 125
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 689
    • View Profile
Re: 31 Jan 2006 - Whose ass am I kicking?
« Reply #94 on: February 02, 2006, 04:48:35 pm »

Ohio accents can be pretty neutral but if you're from Ohio and you have an accent IT WILL BE UGLY.  Some people from the Cleveland area turn the letter A into two syllables - "math" becomes "may-ath," "nap" becomes "nay-ap," etc.  It's almost as bad as the stereotypical Long Island accent to mine ears.

Nearer to West Virginia and Pennsylvania are those who say "warsh" and pronounce iron as "eye-run."  Some of them even have a mouth-breather drawl that turns simple words like "no" or "got" into a three-second utterance.  This is the worst accent in the country because it makes people sound stupid, just like a Dixie accent only without all the redeeming charm.  If you saw any of the recent Country Boys series on PBS, you know what I'm talking about.  A guy I know from Youngstown would tell you that "Alvis" lived in Graceland.  What a douchebag.

The worst American accents:
1. Appalachian drawl
2. Minnesota/North Dakota
2a. Chicago/Wisconsin
3. Any variation on Valley Girl/Surfer Dude
4. Cleveland
5. Long Island
6. Bronx
7. New Englanders with their "wicked" this and "pahk the cah in the yahd" that.
8. Philly

Everyone else in the USA speaks perfectly neutral English with pronunciation influenced only by personal speech impediments.

« Last Edit: February 02, 2006, 09:27:56 pm by Turbo Ninja »
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: 31 Jan 2006 - Whose ass am I kicking?
« Reply #95 on: February 02, 2006, 05:11:54 pm »


6. Bronx



Watch yourself, buster. The recovering academic in me was proud of managing to stay out of this thread.  But now it's getting personal.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: 31 Jan 2006 - Whose ass am I kicking?
« Reply #96 on: February 02, 2006, 05:12:22 pm »

On the subject of vaguely frontier-y regionalisms I can't stand:
"maysure."

It was bad enough when my eighth-grade home ec teacher did this, but when I got to ninth grade and my geometry teacher did it, I wanted to cleanse it with fire.

It took me quite a while to realize that "maysure" isn't just a word meaning "more likely than may-haps"
Logged

Roger

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 22
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 311
  • Who watches the smiling fries?
    • View Profile
    • http://www.last.fm/user/rogermarmo/
Re: 31 Jan 2006 - Whose ass am I kicking?
« Reply #97 on: February 02, 2006, 05:13:43 pm »

Ohio accents can be pretty neutral but if you're from Ohio and you have an accent IT WILL BE UGLY.  Some people from the Cleveland area turn the letter A into two syllables - "math" becomes "may-ath," "nap" becomes "nay-ap," etc.  It's almost as bad as the stereotypical Long Island accent to mine ears.

Nearer to West Virginia and Pennsylvania are those who say "warsh" and pronounce iron as "eye-run."  Some of them even have a mouth-breather drawl that turns simple words like "no" or "got" into a three-second utterance.  This is the worst accent in the country because it makes people sound stupid, just like a Dixie accent only without all the redeeming charm.  If you saw any of the recent Country Boys series on PBS, you know what I'm talking about.  A guy I know from Youngstown would tell you that "Alvis" lived in Graceland.  What a douchebag.

The worst American accents:
1. Appalachian drawl
2. Minnesota/North Dakota
2a. Chicago/Wisconsin
3. Any variation on Valley Girl/Surfer Dude
4. Cleveland
5. Long Island
6. Bronx
7. New Englanders with their "wicked" this and "pahk the cah in the yahd" that.
8. Philly

Everyone else in the USA speaks perfectly neutral English with pronunciation influenced only by personal speech impediments.
7.



I'm having lots of fun with this topic, even though I can't contribute much to it, not being a native speaker of English and all.

But you got to tell me where to get audio samples of all these accents you've been talking about.

Another question: is there an actual phonetic difference between the regular "-ing" gerund and when people write without the "g", as in Lovin' Touchin' Squeezin'?
Logged
Gabba Gabba Hegel!

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: 31 Jan 2006 - Whose ass am I kicking?
« Reply #98 on: February 02, 2006, 05:16:21 pm »

The g sound is dropped entirely so the word sounds pretty different. Say sing and then say sin and you'll have an idea.
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: 31 Jan 2006 - Whose ass am I kicking?
« Reply #99 on: February 02, 2006, 06:19:56 pm »

Yeah, "lovin'" sounds totally different from "loving." It's pretty freaky.

On the Minnesota/ND accent -- I've never noticed it so much as an accent as mostly a function of word choice (ah, "hotdish!") and the cultural elements that you'd expect from people with a fundamentally mild lifestyle. Of course, I could be blind to it, since my mother's from central Minnesota and I speak more and more like her as time goes by.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: 31 Jan 2006 - Whose ass am I kicking?
« Reply #100 on: February 02, 2006, 06:54:28 pm »

To be more precise, there is no 'g' at the end of the standard pronunciation of the gerund  -ing.  It is a sound we don't have a single letter for, a velar nasal.  The 'g-dropped' version substitutes a different nasal consonant, [n].  You can prove to yourself that there is no [g] at the end of the gerung -ing by listening to the difference between the words 'singer' and 'finger'.   "Singer" has only the velar nasal in the middle.  "Finger" has the velar nasal followed by [g].  The cluster of velarnasal-g never ends a word in English, so you will see that -ing sounds like the middle of 'singer', not like the middle of 'finger'.

By the way, I'm not positive if there are dialects where those two words are pronounced identically, but I never came across one in my years of teaching, so I think the examples should work for everyone.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: 31 Jan 2006 - Whose ass am I kicking?
« Reply #101 on: February 02, 2006, 07:16:12 pm »

Yeah. What wombat said. But regardless, the "velar nasal" is dropped entirely for those words. So runnin' sounds like "run in" said very quickly and not like running that much at all.
Logged

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
Re: 31 Jan 2006 - Whose ass am I kicking?
« Reply #102 on: February 02, 2006, 07:38:18 pm »

if the best accent isn't the accent of the people you are around,
YOU ARE IN THE WRONG PLACE.

get to your wicked good place ya'll, before the goin' get's gone.
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: 31 Jan 2006 - Whose ass am I kicking?
« Reply #103 on: February 02, 2006, 08:06:49 pm »

My sister and I were always told we were accent neutral (even by her actor boyfriend who went to COLLEGE for ACCENTS). However, we both have hints of the geographical areas we prefer. Lisa talks with the gruffness of the eastern New York area, and I say "y'all" and drag my long i's (one-two-three-four-fiiiiiive-six-seven-eight-niiiiiine-ten) as done in parts southern.

One thing I've noticed is that I tend to drop my you's for "ya." At work, I greet passengers with "How ya doin'?" a lot, but not the way it would be done by a cab driver that has never left the Empire State. It's... weird.
Logged

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Re: 31 Jan 2006 - Whose ass am I kicking?
« Reply #104 on: February 02, 2006, 08:39:23 pm »

no.
see, the double C in flaccid is...
god damn. i cannot remember the word at this early in the morning.
there are other words that have the double letter where you have to pronounce them separately. there is a word for it. hm.
I will ask people until I remember.

Diaresis?
Logged
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Up