Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Barely passed Oregon driver's test. Lots of rules about Yielding to the Distraught and slow-moving salmon trucks on one-way switchbacks.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Down

Author Topic: 31 Jan 2006 - Whose ass am I kicking?  (Read 21357 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: 31 Jan 2006 - Whose ass am I kicking?
« Reply #105 on: February 02, 2006, 09:03:47 pm »

Diaresis?


Dude, leave the Scientologists out of this. Seriously.
Logged

Roger

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 22
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 311
  • Who watches the smiling fries?
    • View Profile
    • http://www.last.fm/user/rogermarmo/
Re: 31 Jan 2006 - Whose ass am I kicking?
« Reply #106 on: February 02, 2006, 10:41:38 pm »

To be more precise, there is no 'g' at the end of the standard pronunciation of the gerund  -ing.  It is a sound we don't have a single letter for, a velar nasal.  The 'g-dropped' version substitutes a different nasal consonant, [n].  You can prove to yourself that there is no [g] at the end of the gerung -ing by listening to the difference between the words 'singer' and 'finger'.   "Singer" has only the velar nasal in the middle.  "Finger" has the velar nasal followed by [g].  The cluster of velarnasal-g never ends a word in English, so you will see that -ing sounds like the middle of 'singer', not like the middle of 'finger'.

By the way, I'm not positive if there are dialects where those two words are pronounced identically, but I never came across one in my years of teaching, so I think the examples should work for everyone.

Rotating Josephs!. I've been studying English for at least 15 years now and I never realized that "singer" and "finger" weren't pronounced the same way.

Guess I'll have to return my CPE then.
Logged
Gabba Gabba Hegel!

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: 31 Jan 2006 - Whose ass am I kicking?
« Reply #107 on: February 02, 2006, 10:54:13 pm »

dierisis?
the end of the word "flaccid" coincides with the end of a metrical foot?
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: 31 Jan 2006 - Whose ass am I kicking?
« Reply #108 on: February 02, 2006, 10:55:56 pm »

Rotating Josephs!. I've been studying English for at least 15 years now and I never realized that "singer" and "finger" weren't pronounced the same way.

Guess I'll have to return my CPE then.

Until Wombat mentioned it, I never really considered that they are pronounced slightly differently. And I've been speaking English for 36 years now.  It's possible that certain people from certain language backgrounds would have great difficulty with the difference - maybe even impossible for sum.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: 31 Jan 2006 - Whose ass am I kicking?
« Reply #109 on: February 02, 2006, 11:40:45 pm »

All those years in grad school and slaving away for tenure are finally worth it: I have taught people some phonology in a thread titled "Whose ass am I kicking."

It's possible that certain people from certain language backgrounds would have great difficulty with the difference

Possibly, but they have other worse problems.  Probably the worst pronunciation difficulty for speakers of other languages are the two sounds (yes, there are two) spelled 'th' in English.  These are very rare sounds in the languages of the world, so hardly anyone comes to English as a second language with any experience with them from their native tongue.  You have probably noticed that nonnative speakers have trouble with those sounds, and maybe you've also noticed that children learn to pronounce these sounds late - it is typical for children to acquire rare sounds later in their development.

Just a little of what counts as a Fun Fact in linguistics for those who might care.  Now, how about those cartoon cats?


Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: 31 Jan 2006 - Whose ass am I kicking?
« Reply #110 on: February 02, 2006, 11:58:30 pm »

Linguistics is one of those things that I wish I knew about. As an English major, I always wanted to take a class in it, just an introductory class to learn a little about it. But alas, no linguistics class at my university.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: 31 Jan 2006 - Whose ass am I kicking?
« Reply #111 on: February 03, 2006, 12:01:41 am »

But alas, no linguistics class at my university.

True many places - which also means sadly no jobs teaching them for my grad students.  One of the reasons I'm glad to be out of it.  Now, anyone have any questions about cleaning up reptile and amphibian poop?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Re: 31 Jan 2006 - Whose ass am I kicking?
« Reply #112 on: February 03, 2006, 08:42:39 pm »

Until Wombat mentioned it, I never really considered that they are pronounced slightly differently. And I've been speaking English for 36 years now.  It's possible that certain people from certain language backgrounds would have great difficulty with the difference - maybe even impossible for sum.

I pronounce the words identically, but then again English isn't my first language.
Logged

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
Re: 31 Jan 2006 - Whose ass am I kicking?
« Reply #113 on: February 03, 2006, 10:51:30 pm »

I pronounce the words identically, but then again English isn't my first language.

His parents spoke Klingon at home.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: 31 Jan 2006 - Whose ass am I kicking?
« Reply #114 on: February 04, 2006, 03:20:30 am »

His parents spoke Klingon at home.

I keep trying to figure out if this would be funnier if his parents were Kligons or if they weren't.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Re: 31 Jan 2006 - Whose ass am I kicking?
« Reply #115 on: February 04, 2006, 04:15:36 am »

I keep trying to figure out if this would be funnier if his parents were Kligons or if they weren't.

I've been told by a D&D geek friend that my father is really a dwarf because he is 5'6" and can easily lift twice his own weight, even at age 50.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: 31 Jan 2006 - Whose ass am I kicking?
« Reply #116 on: February 04, 2006, 04:20:08 am »

I've been told by a D&D geek friend that my father is really a dwarf because he is 5'6" and can easily lift twice his own weight, even at age 50.

I don't know whether that makes him a dwarf or not, but it clearly makes him someone whom I would not fuck with.  Has he been in the GOF?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: 31 Jan 2006 - Whose ass am I kicking?
« Reply #117 on: February 04, 2006, 04:28:30 am »

I've been told by a D&D geek friend that my father is really a dwarf because he is 5'6" and can easily lift twice his own weight, even at age 50.

See if he's any good at detecting secret passages. If you try and toss him, does he get mad?
Logged

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Re: 31 Jan 2006 - Whose ass am I kicking?
« Reply #118 on: February 04, 2006, 06:12:40 pm »

I don't know whether that makes him a dwarf or not, but it clearly makes him someone whom I would not fuck with.  Has he been in the GOF?

He should be...
Logged

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
Re: 31 Jan 2006 - Whose ass am I kicking?
« Reply #119 on: February 04, 2006, 07:17:01 pm »

He should be...

does this mean that you think your Father Kicks Ass,
or
that you Want Your Father's Ass Kicked?
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Up