Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Wombat changed her avatar back and no one noticed. Her feelings are hurt.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: 1 Feb 2006 - It Keeps the Toys off the Lawn  (Read 5479 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
1 Feb 2006 - It Keeps the Toys off the Lawn
« on: February 01, 2006, 10:41:40 am »

the strip

Things of note:

  • Envelope's script E tattoo, 'Stad clearly has an eye for detail here.
  • I could be wrong but is that Negra Modelo beer?
  • I like how Envelope pronounced Raymond as a hybrid of Raymond and Ramon (note the accent over the O which I'm not looking up the ASCII number for)
  • Does Envelope OFTEN receive bags of caca?  It is not clear
  • All the ladies in the house say "WOOP WOOP"

EDIT BY V to put in the strip permalink. Again. We talked about this!
« Last Edit: February 01, 2006, 03:40:11 pm by V-Adore »
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: 1 Feb 2006 - It Keeps the Toys off the Lawn
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2006, 11:56:04 am »

you would cut off your own face if people thought you lost a fight to me.

Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

acoxcae

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 314
  • Because I don't have one. Never have.
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
Re: 1 Feb 2006 - It Keeps the Toys off the Lawn
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2006, 01:46:58 pm »

It is indeed Negro Modelo.

I like that Envelope associates sitting on the steps all day with a bag of caca, like that's what they were designed to do.  Also, because it means that he metaphorically called Ray a bag of shit, which is awesome.

As for the rest of the strip - OK.  I like the idea of the nativity being ridiculous, but it goes a panel or two too long.  Now, my question is, is Envelope just going to throw the qualifying match?  In my opinion, it'd be a much better idea if Ray got Envelope to enter the tournament, beat everyone except Ray, and then go down to Ray, thereby securing Ray's family legacy.  It'll be a lot more fun to watch Ray be humiliated, though.
Logged
this new board has a shitload of buttons.

why are there no zippers?
-thanks ark

Roger

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 22
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 311
  • Who watches the smiling fries?
    • View Profile
    • http://www.last.fm/user/rogermarmo/
Re: 1 Feb 2006 - It Keeps the Toys off the Lawn
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2006, 01:51:06 pm »

The face transplant reference shows Onstad's got some serious up-to-dateness on current issues.
Logged
Gabba Gabba Hegel!

Lister

  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 101
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 892
  • 2, 4, 6, 8, time to transubstantiate!
    • View Profile
Re: 1 Feb 2006 - It Keeps the Toys off the Lawn
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2006, 02:14:05 pm »

I wonder if Ray has realized what this means to the 'Lope and is having a change of heart, or if he's just going to go on with his plan anyway.

Also, "not seeing a bunch of rotating Josephs" is probably fairly low on the list of why rich people live in the ritzy neighborhoods.  I imagine it is just above "you can get the newspaper delivered."

it is so late now that it is early.  i am saddened.
Logged
Lister.  Not that one, the other one.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: 1 Feb 2006 - It Keeps the Toys off the Lawn
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2006, 02:16:14 pm »

It keeps the toys off the lawn.  It puts the lotion in the basket.

Lots of nice details here.  To lose a fight to fancy-boy Ray means having to have your face removed like Hannibal Lecter did to that guard, and have your kids hidden like the Senator's daughter in the same film.

Sorry, drawing lots of Silence of the Lambs parallels this morning.

Also, I'm putting my out-of-print Silence of the Lambs: Criterion Collection DVD up for sale on eBay today.  I wonder how much I'll get for it!

evan

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 154
    • View Profile
    • http://www.i-got-problems.com
Re: 1 Feb 2006 - It Keeps the Toys off the Lawn
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2006, 02:53:05 pm »

it sure is worth a lot to that guy to have joseph rotate.
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: 1 Feb 2006 - It Keeps the Toys off the Lawn
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2006, 03:43:41 pm »

I took the face-transplant thing as a Face/Off reference, personally.

Anyway, I agree that the emphasis on the Nativity scene (vs., say, how embarrassing it would be to lose a fight to Ray) is misplaced, but otherwise this strip is gold. Envelope Martinez is such a detailed character design that I very much hope he shows up again.
Logged

Turbo Ninja

  • A Tall Glass of Tuaca
  • Mr. Bear (Cornelius)
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 125
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 689
    • View Profile
Re: 1 Feb 2006 - It Keeps the Toys off the Lawn
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2006, 04:25:34 pm »

A Spanglish guy named Envelope is hilarious.  I have a Mexican friend (amigo) named Jesus (Hay-zoos) who goes by Chuy (Chewy).  I might start calling him Envelope instead, and I'll be the only one laughing.  And he'll be the only one punching me in the neck for making a quasi-racist joke at him.

Just like I was the only one laughing at the visual of a bunch of rotating Josephs in a nativity scene.  Obviously, the quality of the scene is enhanced by multiples of each character.  I pictured a manger with a half-dozen of everyone, spinning reallly slow like the pie cabinet in a diner.  I guess Envelope's manger scene could be six or seven scenes depicting the various stages of the birth (getting turned away from the inn, setting up a manger, Mary in labor, Joseph cutting the cord, the arrival of the Wise Men, etc) that would look like a cartoon if you drove past them at just the right speed.  For that I imagine you'd need a bunch of rotating Josephs.
Logged

Biz Markizzle

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 73
    • View Profile
Re: 1 Feb 2006 - It Keeps the Toys off the Lawn
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2006, 04:40:13 pm »

Just like I was the only one laughing at the visual of a bunch of rotating Josephs in a nativity scene.  Obviously, the quality of the scene is enhanced by multiples of each character.  I pictured a manger with a half-dozen of everyone, spinning reallly slow like the pie cabinet in a diner.  I guess Envelope's manger scene could be six or seven scenes depicting the various stages of the birth (getting turned away from the inn, setting up a manger, Mary in labor, Joseph cutting the cord, the arrival of the Wise Men, etc) that would look like a cartoon if you drove past them at just the right speed.  For that I imagine you'd need a bunch of rotating Josephs.

Someone draw this up. C'mon people. I was hoping Onstad would show the nativity scene in today's strip but he did not come through so now it's up to you. We should have a competition where the most funny drawing of a nativity scene wins like all sorts of cans of dr pepper. 

I thought this strip was extremely funny, especially in the early panels...bag of caca...beehive up ju ass...the implication that Ray is still going to call the cops on him for other things...this is all good stuff. Envelope is the type of character you would love to see interact with other characters -- seeing Roast Beef or Nice Pete's reaction to him would be comedy gold.
Logged
Even my superficial raps are super official.

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: 1 Feb 2006 - It Keeps the Toys off the Lawn
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2006, 07:31:40 pm »

I enjoy the alt-text... I get this notion of people in the neighborhood: "Ray Smuckles... he's quite a character, but I certainly wouldn't want to be seen around HERE after losing a fight to him."

Makes you wonder... the implication is that the neighborhood is an upper-class area, and the other implication is that Envelópe is living above his means, so to speak. Does he have the cashflow to live this upscale, spinning-jo-jo lifestyle because of the GOF, or is it by other means and I'm just reading too much racism into it?

It would be interesting to learn what the "prize" for winning the GOF is, aside from the obvious notoriety. Is there a cash award? Do winners become marketable, their Q-Rating allowing them to do such as television commercials for beer?
Logged

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: 1 Feb 2006 - It Keeps the Toys off the Lawn
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2006, 10:59:50 pm »

If my memory of the Achewood map serves me correctly, Ray lives in Achewood Estates, which is an upper class area.  The maps are in the first or second week of January of some year, I think.
Logged
ACHIEVE

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: 1 Feb 2006 - It Keeps the Toys off the Lawn
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2006, 11:10:35 pm »

Achewood Heights. Pat in is Achewood Estates

http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=01032005
Logged

Apenotmonkey

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3
    • View Profile
Re: 1 Feb 2006 - It Keeps the Toys off the Lawn
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2006, 01:33:23 am »

It is indeed Negro Modelo.

Nah, the beer they're drinking is Bohemia (the Mexican Bohemia, not the Brazilian one).  Bohemia is basically like treasure.  Negra is a good beer, but Bohemia is much, much better.

BTW, hello everyone.  I post approximately once every 2 years, but have been lurking on the various incarnations of this board ever since Achewood's inception... nice to see people as excited about Achewood, grammar and spelling, vegulonism (although I'm a dedicated carnivore), and such, even though I typically don't have too much (or anything) to add.
Logged
What the shit?

Roger

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 22
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 311
  • Who watches the smiling fries?
    • View Profile
    • http://www.last.fm/user/rogermarmo/
Re: 1 Feb 2006 - It Keeps the Toys off the Lawn
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2006, 01:56:28 am »

I'm thinking of picking up "Rotating Josephs!" and use it as an exclamation from now on.
Logged
Gabba Gabba Hegel!

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up