Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Alright, America. I'm playing the underpants and pants game. If just for one more day.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Ranking Music (The Beatles Are better than Jesus)  (Read 11848 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: 27 Jan 2006 - The Man With The Blood On His Hands
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2006, 10:15:13 pm »

True, but the point being that The Beatles continue to win new fans even 35 years after their demise.

~Paul

As does Mozart and Beethoven over a much longer period of time, but that's not my point.  Look I'm not shitting on the Beatles here.  They're good, they made big changes in the music scene; I respect this.  I just want to know when we can get past the point of their godlike "Always the Best" status and start having actual discussions and debates about other various best of's...

And the reason I blame the boomers for this is that they are the prevailing reality for such a long time at this point, simply by being the largest number.
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: 27 Jan 2006 - The Man With The Blood On His Hands
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2006, 10:18:23 pm »

NO.. No No No...

when oh when can we get over this automatic number 1'ing of the Beatles people??  Do we have to wait for the baby boomers to die?  I hope not.

Limmo, you that old?

This reminds me of this argument with a self-described "Zeppologist" who, faced with the argument that Led Zeppelin may not be the greatest Rock and Roll band of All Time would end his arguments with "I know that is your opinion, but it's WRONG".
Logged

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: 27 Jan 2006 - The Man With The Blood On His Hands
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2006, 10:24:15 pm »

In the interest of full disclosure, The Beatles ar at the top of my list.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: 27 Jan 2006 - The Man With The Blood On His Hands
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2006, 10:50:48 pm »

I said before that only #1 and #2 were ever solid for me (Pink Floyd and Queen, respectively), but I think the Beatles firmly hold down #3.

The rest of my top ten, the ranking of which changes over time:

Barenaked Ladies, Dave Matthews Band, Nine Inch Nails, R.E.M., U2, Radiohead, and The Who.

I believe Zeppelin would make the top 15 if I thought it out.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: 27 Jan 2006 - The Man With The Blood On His Hands
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2006, 12:06:32 am »

I find (back me up on this, please, someone) that there are certain bands which I am unable to rank. Essentially, I suppose these are my favorite bands. The two bands that I loved more than anything before I really listened to music frequently. These bands are The Beatles and Nirvana (plus, possibly The Doors). I cannot imagine ranking anything higher than them. At the same time, when someone asks what my favorite band is, I never answer with either of these bands. Lately: My Bloody Valentine, Fugazi, Pixies, or The Velvet Underground.

I compare it to food. I have eaten tortillas my entire life. My mom makes tortillas, and I have always eaten them.
If someone asks me what my favorite food is, I normally say Pad Thai. I did not eat pad thai as a child. i eat it with my fun, interesting friends. not my family.
but then, I eat a tortilla. and can't imagine how anything else could ever be my favorite food. it seems to be so incredibly wonderful that nothing could ever surpass it.
the next week, I say my favorite food is Pad Thai.

I guess its an issue of the emotional vs intellectual response. As someone who collects records, reads music criticism, listens to a wide variety of stuff, etc, I appreciate certain bands. They all have their moments where they really move me. But there's also that element of thinking that My Bloody valentine, or Fugazi, or whoever, is a really cool band to like. People will ask who they are, and I get to explain them, maybe make a mix cd, whatever.
My appreciation for The Beatles has its intellectual element, too. But more of it has to do with a year of my life when I realized that music was what I loved, and I listened to Beatles albums over and over. I love The Beatles. They are great.

I have a friend who has not only a top 100 artists, but also a top 100 albums, as well as various lists for specific genres.
this makes me understand what kind of person grows up to be a music critic.

would it be rediculous to make a thread where people list their favorite bands? we could discuss these bands. mutual interests!
but it has probably been done before.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: 27 Jan 2006 - The Man With The Blood On His Hands
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2006, 12:13:11 am »

What an idea. Maybe we could even have a forum where music gets discussed!

Mods, may I suggest a split of this discussion to the appropriate forum?
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: 27 Jan 2006 - The Man With The Blood On His Hands
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2006, 12:16:25 am »

Workin' on it, hoss.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Ranking Music (or, Do the Beatles Suck?)
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2006, 12:26:03 am »

I would be happy to never hear another Beatles song ever again.  There is a great sushi place we go to, where the owner plays nothing but his same Beatles mix tape over and over.  It drives me crazy.  I've heard every Beatles song so many times, why would I ever need to hear them again?

(Ducks hail of rotten tomatoes)
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: Ranking Music (or, Do the Beatles Suck?)
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2006, 12:33:56 am »

I would be happy to never hear another Beatles song ever again.  There is a great sushi place we go to, where the owner plays nothing but his same Beatles mix tape over and over.  It drives me crazy.  I've heard every Beatles song so many times, why would I ever need to hear them again?

(Ducks hail of rotten tomatoes)

Wombat, this is exactly my feeling, but it's only from EVERYONE IN THE WORLD OVERPLAYING THEM.  I am not picking on lemmer or paul of course mind you, just a pet peeve.
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Ranking Music (or, Do the Beatles Suck?)
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2006, 12:37:02 am »

Wombat, you're getting a tiny can every possible chance I can give one to you.

However, "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" is one of the greatest songs of all time.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: 27 Jan 2006 - The Man With The Blood On His Hands
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2006, 12:38:06 am »

In conclusion, Beethoven forever bitches!

Never argue this point with an Austrian.  And never argue that Mozart is better with an East Berliner girl who kicks hard.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: 27 Jan 2006 - The Man With The Blood On His Hands
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2006, 12:40:05 am »

Never argue this point with an Austrian.  And never argue that Mozart is better with an East Berliner girl who kicks hard.

Berliners kick ASS.  Other than Kennedy's donut speech and um... the wall.  Ergo, I fuck*ng win.  Yet again.
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Ranking Music (or, Do the Beatles Suck?)
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2006, 12:40:53 am »

I meant to mean, never argue that Beethoven is better with an Austrian.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Ranking Music (or, Do the Beatles Suck?)
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2006, 12:42:30 am »

I think the tortilla vs. pad thai comparison is very apt -- the Beatles I think of as incredible music, but my parents' music, the music of home. On the other hand, I realize that most of my music isn't going to endure long outside of nerd circles. How does one choose?

Let's just go with "R.E.M. helluva owns" and work from there.
Logged

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: Ranking Music (or, Do the Beatles Suck?)
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2006, 12:42:37 am »

I meant to mean, never argue that Beethoven is better with an Austrian.

THat's okay, I covered up the confusing syntax you used to make me look foolish with editing.  Now I look like a Golden God once again.
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up