Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood It's National Johnny Cash Raise Hell Awareness Saturday Night. Go out and Fuck Shit Up in a Way That You Believe In!

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Ranking Music (The Beatles Are better than Jesus)  (Read 11850 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: Ranking Music (The Beatles Are better than Jesus)
« Reply #45 on: February 02, 2006, 10:51:10 pm »


No, I was born in 1967 - representin' for Gen X, yo.   


That makes us pretty close in age. Old.

Don't be hatin' on your Zeppologist friend just because he was RIGHT.

He was an amusing guy with a good premise, but a pretty poor argument. That's what happens when your 'life is awesome' more than 15 hours a day every day.
Logged

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Re: Ranking Music (The Beatles Are better than Jesus)
« Reply #46 on: February 02, 2006, 11:24:33 pm »

He was an amusing guy with a good premise, but a pretty poor argument.

I dunno, I never argue my points, I just spew them out 'cuz it's fun.   You could cogently rationalize why The Strokes are the greatest band ever until you're blue in the face, and it's still not going to make the other person think "he's right, a-ha are no longer my favorite band."

In fact, the topic of the White Stripes came up at my band's practice two weeks ago.  When I disinterestedly stated that they were "the most over-rated band in the entire history of Western music," our singer got so pissed you'd think I had fingered his wife.  It's just a band.  Who cares?

So now I like the White Stripes even less: they're over-rated and they made one of my best friends angry and condescending for a few minutes. 

Arguments over music are pointless.  I'd much rather argue over things that everyone at least agrees on, like politics and abortion.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Ranking Music (The Beatles Are better than Jesus)
« Reply #47 on: February 02, 2006, 11:51:16 pm »

When I disinterestedly stated that they were "the most over-rated band in the entire history of Western music,"

This is my favorite sentence, or part thereof, that I have read today.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Ranking Music (The Beatles Are better than Jesus)
« Reply #48 on: February 03, 2006, 12:21:42 am »

The problem today is there are too many opinions.

~Paul

Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: Ranking Music (The Beatles Are better than Jesus)
« Reply #49 on: February 03, 2006, 12:22:59 am »

And not one out there half as good as the worst of mine.
Logged

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Re: Ranking Music (The Beatles Are better than Jesus)
« Reply #50 on: February 03, 2006, 12:45:57 am »

And not one out there half as good as the worst of mine.

AlohaDawg sums up what's wrong with mankind in less than one full sentence.  If that doesn't merit a tiny can of Dr. Pepper, then I'm Meg White.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Ranking Music (The Beatles Are better than Jesus)
« Reply #51 on: February 03, 2006, 03:10:50 am »

Speaking personally, I think all wrong-thinking people are right.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Ranking Music (The Beatles Are better than Jesus)
« Reply #52 on: February 03, 2006, 03:27:26 am »

I would tax people who stand in water.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

starlight

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 323
    • View Profile
    • http://www.livejournal.com/~aekastar
Re: Ranking Music (The Beatles Are better than Jesus)
« Reply #53 on: February 03, 2006, 06:34:22 am »

Hm... I may have made a top 50 albums of 2005 list, but I could never make a top list of all time.  I change my mind every second.

Really, the only bands that have stuck for even the past 6yrs have been:
Carissa's Wierd
Knife in the Water
Sigur Rós

....I don't even like most music before the 80's, so I'm probably not the one to make this type of list.  I think the reason for this is that I had horrible taste before '99 and ignored all of dad's music (ie; classic rock).  I do like Velvet Underground though.  that's the oldest band in my collection I think.

There was one moment in middle school when I just listened to the oldies station, but I never bought any albums during that time; it was just whatever they played.

Yes...

* Hopefully I won't lose cans for this
Logged
Texas only kept me awake

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Ranking Music (The Beatles Are better than Jesus)
« Reply #54 on: February 03, 2006, 08:09:43 am »

I was going to read all of this thread and maybe some others and then reply to stuff but there's just too much and I've got a lot on my plate unless you want to talk about overclocking my onboard video chipset or fixing a broken PC case powerbutton that causes a newly built PC to turn on for a few seconds and then turn off again as if someone were holding in the power button.

Anyway, yeah.  I'm going to bed.

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: Ranking Music (The Beatles Are better than Jesus)
« Reply #55 on: February 03, 2006, 01:58:43 pm »

THAT IS NO EXCUSE.

LIST PLEASE

Don't make us bust out the marquee.
Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: Ranking Music (The Beatles Are better than Jesus)
« Reply #56 on: February 03, 2006, 07:58:37 pm »

Speaking personally, I think all wrong-thinking people are right.

And you would be right in saying so.
Logged

Thee

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 51
  • I adidas Rio
    • View Profile
    • New England Fashion Update!
Re: Ranking Music (The Beatles Are better than Jesus)
« Reply #57 on: February 03, 2006, 08:29:48 pm »

There has been no good music made in the last 100 years.
Logged
R U Passionate??

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: Ranking Music (The Beatles Are better than Jesus)
« Reply #58 on: February 03, 2006, 09:03:24 pm »

I only listen to music released during the Golden Age: August 11, 1988 to September 14, 1992.
Logged

Hobot

  • DISK ONE OF SIX
  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 21
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 861
  • Appearing in a tortilla near you.
    • View Profile
    • Your music is inadequate.
Re: Ranking Music (The Beatles Are better than Jesus)
« Reply #59 on: February 04, 2006, 12:12:42 am »

I only listen to music released during the Golden Age: August 11, 1988 to September 14, 1992.

I only listen to music released during the Gilded Age.

Plus Radiohead.
Logged
You had me at "I dig both ladies and fellows."
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up