Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Hydroponic seltzer clams.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Aw! Philippe in a suit! (09-04-03)  (Read 6959 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

starlight

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 323
    • View Profile
    • http://www.livejournal.com/~aekastar
Aw! Philippe in a suit! (09-04-03)
« on: September 05, 2003, 10:18:21 am »

I've never started a thread on a new achewood strip, but it seems I'm up late/early enough this time:

I rather like how little Philippe tries to keep Ray rated G by telling him to be polite when he goes off about James Bond ..hee.  also like how Mark Twain is still writing the observations as if from afar.

Good strip.  Good strip.

Strip.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 11:19:45 am by Nabubrush »
Logged
Texas only kept me awake

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Re: Aw! Philippe in a suit!
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2003, 10:44:31 am »

Quote from: "starlight"
I've never started a thread on a new achewood strip, but it seems I'm up late/early enough this time:

I rather like how little Philippe tries to keep Ray rated G by telling him to be polite when he goes off about James Bond ..hee.  also like how Mark Twain is still writing the observations as if from afar.

Good strip.  Good strip.


Absolutely! Philippe in a suit is rather adorable! Kind of makes me want to dress my dog, who somehow reminds me of philippe! But that would just be sick so I won't.
I am loving the Twainster in all of this. Excellent stuff.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

Paisley

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 50
    • View Profile
Aw! Philippe in a suit!
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2003, 01:36:34 pm »

This mixing of time and space in literature genres can only end in tears.

But I guess this explains Tom Sawyer and Sean Connery in "League of Extraordinary Gentlemen." It probably would have been a good movie if not for the Ebay'd time machine.

-- PR
Logged

revdj

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 102
    • View Profile
    • http://www.dougshaw.com
Re: Aw! Philippe in a suit!
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2003, 01:42:33 pm »

Quote from: "slink"

Absolutely! Philippe in a suit is rather adorable!

He is trying SO HARD to "behave" and be "polite".  I remember being like that when I was a kid and in certain "adult" environments.  Sit up straight as you can, and think at all times "polite... polite... polite..."

And the contrast with Ray is so great.  Ray, who is just Ray, wherever he is.
Logged

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Aw! Philippe in a suit!
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2003, 02:29:54 pm »

I enjoy the umlaut in "preëminent."  I think the umlaut needs to return to fine written English.  Can we all coöperate on this?
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

Howdy Moody

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 6
    • View Profile
Aw! Philippe in a suit!
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2003, 05:59:50 pm »

I am TOTALLY diggin' this story line.
I love Mark Twain, and Onstad gets his tone just right.
Phillipe looks so cute in his suit!
H.M.
PS-Wow!  A post where I don't have any cynical comments aimed at anyone...except for YOU, you FUCK!
PPS-Ooops.  Not.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Aw! Philippe in a suit!
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2003, 11:42:28 pm »

I find it hilariously appropriate that Ray capitalizes Sperm
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Aw! Philippe in a suit!
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2003, 06:40:30 am »

Quote from: "Howdy Moody"
PS-Wow!  A post where I don't have any cynical comments aimed at anyone...except for YOU, you FUCK!
PPS-Ooops.  Not.


Fuck are you talking about, bitch?  That's your first post!  You've never had a cynical comment aimed at anyone because you've never posted before.  Duh.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Aw! Philippe in a suit!
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2003, 06:41:40 am »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
I find it hilariously appropriate that Ray capitalizes Sperm


Actually, that was Onstad.  Ray was just speaking, so he couldn't really capitalise his own dialogue, right?

When you speak do people know what should and should not be capitalised?  I thinkn't.

doomglobe

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 35
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 410
    • View Profile
    • doom globe
Aw! Philippe in a suit!
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2003, 03:15:50 pm »

No, it was Ray. Cartoon cats speak like that when they are in comics. They speak in text, just like Roast Beef never caps or puncs.
Logged
[expletive deleted]

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Aw! Philippe in a suit!
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2003, 04:29:31 pm »

Quote from: "doomglobe"
No, it was Ray. Cartoon cats speak like that when they are in comics. They speak in text, just like Roast Beef never caps or puncs.

That's exactly what I meant. Or how Blister always uses all caps.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Aw! Philippe in a suit!
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2003, 06:37:36 pm »

I can understand your confusion between the comic reality and the exegencies of having to frame comic action on a 2D page, but it would seem that in the reality of the Achewood universe, the characters are merely *speaking* and the artist is a medium, a translator, attempting to write in a way that would get the intonations and speech of each character across to us in a way that we could *hear* the characters speak.

What is your basis for characters speaking in text (i.e. they open their mouth and symbols rather than sounds come out)?  AFAIK, there is no precedent for this view, and so it is unfounded.

Perhaps you could elaborate?

V-Adore

  • Guest
Aw! Philippe in a suit!
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2003, 08:07:31 pm »

To play Devil's Advocate, well, sorta... I think the overall meaning here is that it's very appropriate that Ray would say "get his Sperm on" in the sort of intonation that would be represented by Onstad capitalizing "Sperm." So... yeah.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Aw! Philippe in a suit!
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2003, 03:18:44 am »

There are many other comics where the speech bubble was proven to be a physical substance in their world, but I can't point to an instance of this behavior in Achewood.
Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Aw! Philippe in a suit!
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2003, 08:47:02 am »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
To play Devil's Advocate, well, sorta... I think the overall meaning here is that it's very appropriate that Ray would say "get his Sperm on" in the sort of intonation that would be represented by Onstad capitalizing "Sperm." So... yeah.


RIGHT!!

And Roast Beef speaks in a monotone with little emphasis or intonation, hence the lack of capitals and punctuation except for the period, usually.

I picture Blister shouting because he is so small and hard to hear (and incorporeal) - hence the caps.

I don't understand Jough's post - I don't agree or disagree, I don't get the argument. It seems to me that in order to appreciate Achewood (or any comic or book for that matter) we have to suspend our consciousness of the medium and just let the text/pictures make the scene real for us. Otherwise we are merely criticizing the form the message takes, and it's not nearly as much fun (if we were editors, I guess that would be our job, but happily, I'm not and I assume most of us aren's either).
Logged
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up