Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit? - Nabu

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Aw! Philippe in a suit! (09-04-03)  (Read 6954 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Aw! Philippe in a suit!
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2003, 06:23:22 pm »

Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
And Roast Beef speaks in a monotone with little emphasis or intonation, hence the lack of capitals and punctuation except for the period, usually.

I've always sort of wondered what kind of emphasis Beef was putting on sentences that ended with " !," As in "Man I'm so drunk right now !" I figure it's that sort of laconic emphasis, where we'd be getting a full exclamation if Beef cared a little more.

Quote
I picture Blister shouting because he is so small and hard to hear (and incorporeal) - hence the caps.

See, I always assumed that Blister's all-caps-ing was the textual representation of Heavenly, psychic, or other such speech as it worked in the world of mortals -- similar to how Discworld's Death TALKS IN ALL CAPS, if you don't mind the brief geeky comparison. But the strips with Beef and Blister interacting in Heaven kind of put the lie to that, since Blister doesn't talk like any of the other ghostly characters. But similarly, Todd is as small as Blister is; why isn't he shouting?
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Aw! Philippe in a suit!
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2003, 12:08:26 am »

I don't think Blister is shouting as much as he has a hollow, ethereal voice.

Because he's dead.

beverly

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 48
    • View Profile
Aw! Philippe in a suit!
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2003, 12:54:05 am »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
There are many other comics where the speech bubble was proven to be a physical substance in their world, but I can't point to an instance of this behavior in Achewood.


The panels are, apparently, tangible.  Notice that Teodor is leaning on it.
Logged

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
Aw! Philippe in a suit!
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2003, 01:00:08 am »

Beverly, dont see what you mean in that one....
Logged
goose means greedy

beverly

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 48
    • View Profile
Aw! Philippe in a suit!
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2003, 01:04:01 am »

look at his arms, second to last panel
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
Aw! Philippe in a suit!
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2003, 02:19:15 am »

I think that's just the angle we're seeing Teodor at in the panel; I don't think he's supposed to be literally leaning on it.

Re: Blister's voice -- I can see the "hollow ethereal voice" thing, and indeed that was my first theory (as clumsily and geekily outlined above), but it doesn't explain why Blister STILL TALKS LIKE THIS in Heaven while Beef and Molly speak normally.
Logged

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Aw! Philippe in a suit!
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2003, 02:38:55 am »

Jesus you people are starting to scare me. That's no easy task.


Yes, beverly, it would appear that Teodor's leaning on the panel frame, with his left hand placed jauntily on his hip for full lean-based relaxation.

As for Todd's voice, maybe he suffers from voice immodulation syndrome.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Aw! Philippe in a suit!
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2003, 04:19:34 pm »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
Re: Blister's voice -- I can see the "hollow ethereal voice" thing, and indeed that was my first theory (as clumsily and geekily outlined above), but it doesn't explain why Blister STILL TALKS LIKE THIS in Heaven while Beef and Molly speak normally.

While Molly and Beef have the heavenly robes they lack halos. Apparently the hollow ethereal Bene Gesserit-like voice comes with the halo.

Also, we've never seen either of them on earth (while dead) to study their stuff-walk-through-itude
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Aw! Philippe in a suit!
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2003, 05:05:05 pm »

I interpret Blister's voice as a gregorian chant.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Aw! Philippe in a suit!
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2003, 06:22:11 pm »

Quote from: "jldunston"
I interpret Blister's voice as a gregorian chant.


Me too now!
I hear it kind of like the dialling chant in the second Hitchhiker's Guide radio series.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Aw! Philippe in a suit!
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2003, 06:34:26 pm »

I like the chant theory best of all.
Logged

Steve Hogan

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 167
    • View Profile
    • http://www.steve-hogan.com/
Aw! Philippe in a suit!
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2003, 02:17:12 pm »

I don't care what anyone sounds like.  I'm just humbled that James Bond spilled spunk on the moon and I haven't even gotten into the mile high club yet.
Logged
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up