Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Italian food is like pornography. I can’t define it, but I know when I have paid too much.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: the band i hate the most  (Read 34137 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: the band i hate the most
« Reply #75 on: February 07, 2006, 04:47:18 pm »

I like U2.  Not as much as I did round about 1988, but still.

I used to be crazy about U2 but then either they lost it or I finished graduate school. Maybe a little of both.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: the band i hate the most
« Reply #76 on: February 07, 2006, 10:25:58 pm »

U2 is one of three artists (Pink Floyd and Bruce Springsteen being the others) I would spend upwards of $100 to see. Everyone else, I'd rather split that up and see a few shows of other bands.
Logged

Lister

  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 101
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 892
  • 2, 4, 6, 8, time to transubstantiate!
    • View Profile
Re: the band i hate the most
« Reply #77 on: February 07, 2006, 10:59:24 pm »

Oh yeah, since we're hating bands, I feel like I should mention Your Band Sucks.  Generalized hate, but very good in certain instances.  I particularly like the hate mail columns.

Also, I've thought about it, and I hate Aaron Carter.
Logged
Lister.  Not that one, the other one.

antioch

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 185
  • fuggedaboudit!
    • View Profile
    • Facehugger Records
Re: the band i hate the most
« Reply #78 on: February 08, 2006, 04:46:32 am »

 The hate mail column is deffinitely the best thing about Your Band Sucks. I read it and think, "ha, ha! These people spent like 30 minutes defending something on the internet because they have their tastes tied to their egos!" And then I cup my face in my hands and wail. 
Logged
I am older now.

Hobot

  • DISK ONE OF SIX
  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 21
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 861
  • Appearing in a tortilla near you.
    • View Profile
    • Your music is inadequate.
Re: the band i hate the most
« Reply #79 on: February 08, 2006, 05:48:10 pm »

The good doctor Thorpe expresses the exact reason for my distate for Jack Johnson (and John Mayer) better than I ever could.  Plus, he uses the word "homunculus":

Quote
But, Jesus, whose brilliant idea was it to give record deals to those smarmy date-rapist semi-jocks who play their acoustic guitars under the big oak tree in front of the dorms? It seems that rather than reviving the revolutionary spirit of folk music, the industry has finally decided to cash in on the buying power of a major college-age demographic: the infuriating hemp-necklaced Abercrombie-clad faux-surfer bastards who are always raising their hands in your Spanish class and asking how to say “four twenty” as a means of pandering for high-fives to the retarded clones they consider friends. Who else but these idiotic, cultureless half-wits would be caught dead listening to somebody as unabashedly un-cool as Jack Johnson, or worse yet, the giraffe-faced Dave Matthews homunculus John Mayer?
Logged
You had me at "I dig both ladies and fellows."

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: the band i hate the most
« Reply #80 on: February 08, 2006, 06:33:24 pm »

Mmm, one so rarely reads the word 'homunculus' in rock criticism.  Also I have to quote him on U2:

Quote
While Bono was once just the leader of a post-punk band with political pretensions, he now seems to view himself as the ambassador between rock and roll and the real world. The problem is, rock and roll does not need an ambassador to the real world, nor does it want one.

Yeah, it is just as well not to like U2 anymore.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: the band i hate the most
« Reply #81 on: February 08, 2006, 06:38:04 pm »

Seems like the major reason people don't like Johnson/Mayer/etc is because of the type of person that likes that music. But I still don't like those guys, and for pretty much the same reasons above.

In fact, I'm not sure that I can't identify the fans as a major part of my reason for not liking a particular genre. Although if you only accept genres, per se, then you're either
a) listening to a lot of crap
b) missing out on a lot of good stuff
c) both (most likely)
d) a moron (most most likely)
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: the band i hate the most
« Reply #82 on: February 08, 2006, 07:36:01 pm »

I've haven't had much of response to this thread, mainly because these days I have trouble working up the sort of visceral response to musical groups that is evidenced here.  I just don't love 'em or hate 'em like I used to.  It's kind of sad, really.

Anyhow, back in the day I detested U2.  I've learned to sort of tolerate them.  I never will understand what is supposed to be so great about them.

Also, I used to really hate Johnny Cougar, mainly because he started out calling himself Johnny Cougar, then changed it to John Cougar, then to John "Cougar" Mellencamp, then John Mellencamp.  That always smacked of the most cynical sort of marketing to me, as did his earlier songs.  I was forced to appreciate some elements of his later work.  Then, not long ago, I heard a radio interview with him and he struck me as a very funny, down to earth sort of guy.  So who knows...

That's not to say that I don't have contempt for a lot of so-called "musicians".  I just can't get worked up about it (either way) like I used to. 
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: the band i hate the most
« Reply #83 on: February 08, 2006, 07:47:26 pm »

I kind of like John Mayer. Like, not a lot, but I do. Do I have to go to the Cornfield/watch my TC index plummet now?

I am sorry. I will listen to the New Pornographers until I am a better person.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: the band i hate the most
« Reply #84 on: February 08, 2006, 09:26:05 pm »

egh. John Mayer is not the worst of all possible pop-people. I mean, he apparently secretly rips at guitar... one of my friends said he saw Mayer on some late-night Blues Tribute thing, and he was actually a really good guitarist.

That said, I don't like him that much. But I don't think he's worthy of utter hatred.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: the band i hate the most
« Reply #85 on: February 08, 2006, 11:35:44 pm »

John Mayer appeared on Chapelle's Show to play music that made white people want to dance.

That's all I needed. He's aight in my book.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: the band i hate the most
« Reply #86 on: February 09, 2006, 01:37:54 am »

one of my friends said he saw Mayer on some late-night Blues Tribute thing, and he was actually a really good guitarist.

I've heard that Kenny G can play the ever lovin' shit out of the saxaphone.

~Paul

Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: the band i hate the most
« Reply #87 on: February 09, 2006, 04:59:17 pm »

I really like U2.  Bono is of course a silly self-important Irishman, but he's good people.  He just wants to help.

Their lyrics have grown more inane with each album ("Hello, Hello. [hola]  I'm at a place called 'Vertigo'.  It's everything I wish I didn't know, except you give me something I can feel.  Feeeeee-eeeeee-eel.") but that's because of their increasing disconnect with humanity.

John Mayer I've never liked, but I don't hate him.  That "Your Body is an Amusement Park" song was pretty lame, but the nigga can really play guitar.  He was onstage with Buddy Guy at some PBS Blues thing and was just wailing.

Anyway, I'd love to hear him make a blues album.  Otherwise he's not worth mocking.  I always thought he not only sounded like Dave Matthews but also did a DM impression while he was performing, with the same awkward mannerisms and pretentious shivering, etc.

I really like JC Mellencamp's "American Fool" album with those two big hits.  Everything else is kinda "blah" to me.  My friends and I used to sing "S.U.C.K. in the U.S.A." when that particular song was on the radio when we were in elementary school.  But otherwise he's good people.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: the band i hate the most
« Reply #88 on: February 09, 2006, 05:03:51 pm »

My friends and I used to sing "S.U.C.K. in the U.S.A." when that particular song was on the radio when we were in elementary school.

I used to sing along to that song with I love Seka in the USA.

~Paul

Because I love Seka

Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Hobot

  • DISK ONE OF SIX
  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 21
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 861
  • Appearing in a tortilla near you.
    • View Profile
    • Your music is inadequate.
Re: the band i hate the most
« Reply #89 on: February 09, 2006, 06:28:07 pm »

John Mayer appeared on Chapelle's Show to play music that made white people want to dance.

That's all I needed. He's aight in my book.

Oh, I'm sure he's an okay guy (his appearance on the aforementioned episode of "Chappelle's Show" and in a self-deprecating skit on his own show on MTV helped me realise that he's pretty funny and not a complete moron), I just hate his music and his fans.

Another band I hate: The Mars Volta.  I don't care if it makes me lose indie points; I listen to plenty of other stuff that I can be stuck up about.  I just can't stand the singer's whiney fuck*ng voice.

Yet another band I dislike (not enough to hate, though; I just don't care that much): The Fiery Furnaces.  "Blueberry Boat" was crap.  It's like if someone who was having a seizure was capable of playing "music," that's the album they would record.
Logged
You had me at "I dig both ladies and fellows."
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12   Go Up