Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Do you love saying "Canadian bacon"?

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: the band i hate the most  (Read 34235 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: the band i hate the most
« Reply #90 on: February 09, 2006, 06:35:46 pm »



Another band I hate: The Mars Volta.  I don't care if it makes me lose indie points; I listen to plenty of other stuff that I can be stuck up about.  I just can't stand the singer's whiney fuck*ng voice.


I hear you there.  I don't so much hate them because they suck, but I hate them because they do nothing for me WHILE TAKING AN AWESOME BAND NAME AWAY FROM SOME OTHER HYPOTHETICAL BAND!

See also Lusk, Bunnygrunt, &c
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: the band i hate the most
« Reply #91 on: February 09, 2006, 07:34:14 pm »

Yet another band I dislike (not enough to hate, though; I just don't care that much): The Fiery Furnaces.  "Blueberry Boat" was crap.  It's like if someone who was having a seizure was capable of playing "music," that's the album they would record.

Man that sounds like an album I would love.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: the band i hate the most
« Reply #92 on: February 09, 2006, 10:12:59 pm »

This person is not a band, but Beyoncé makes me want to hurt myself and the people I love.

I want to produce a Beyoncé song.  It would have only one note sung in a very simple rythm with drums that accent only the downbeats.  The lyrics would contain the word "stank" many times.  BIGGEST HIT OF THE SUMMER.  Then, I would commit seppuku.
Logged
ACHIEVE

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: the band i hate the most
« Reply #93 on: February 09, 2006, 10:17:27 pm »

Yet another band I dislike (not enough to hate, though; I just don't care that much): The Fiery Furnaces.  "Blueberry Boat" was crap.  It's like if someone who was having a seizure was capable of playing "music," that's the album they would record.

This, sadly, reminds me of a mixtape I recently received as part of a mixtape swap on campus: a friend of mine's "experiment," in which he made an entire mix of Sondheim songs interspersed with indie-rock songs he thought possessed some element of "Sondheimanity." It had the incandescent joy of "oh, boy, some show tune that makes no sense out of context, from a show I've never seen/heard of" with the predictably huge amount of pretentiousness. Its last track was "Chris Michaels," which I believe is from Blueberry Boat and sounds like "indie rock band decided to do a song on the theme of 'vague high-school-oid soap-opera' and didn't actually bother to write any lyrics before hitting the studio, resulting in much rambling and something like eight minutes of rambling." (The mix also contains The Decemberists' "Mariner's Revenge Song," about which I remain ambivalent.)
Logged

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: the band i hate the most
« Reply #94 on: February 09, 2006, 10:19:44 pm »

(The mix also contains The Decemberists' "Mariner's Revenge Song," about which I remain ambivalent.)

Is it even possible to be ambivalent about that song?

I was pretty sure that song was confirmed as "basically like treasure" by a super committee somewhere in the bowels of the Earth.
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: the band i hate the most
« Reply #95 on: February 09, 2006, 10:24:58 pm »

Is it even possible to be ambivalent about that song?

I was pretty sure that song was confirmed as "basically like treasure" by a super committee somewhere in the bowels of the Earth.

See, I'm ambivalent about it because it's the exact sort of music that I really feel like I should hate -- overlong, over-weird over-self-aware "concept" stuff -- and it's about whaling, which reminds me strongly of Herman Melville, which reminds me of Billy Budd, which a bad high-school English teacher taught and inadvertently convinced me to hate and fear it, like a caveman hates and fears a smilodon. And yet... and yet... "The Mariner's Revenge Song" is basically like treasure. How do I cut this Gordian knot?

Maybe I listen to it again. That's an idea.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: the band i hate the most
« Reply #96 on: February 09, 2006, 10:26:38 pm »

I was pretty sure that song was confirmed as "basically like treasure" by a super committee somewhere in the bowels of the Earth.

I believe I was on that committe.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: the band i hate the most
« Reply #97 on: February 09, 2006, 10:33:48 pm »

Why did you have to bring up the Mariner's Revenge V?  Now I have to listen to it repeatedly! WHY V?  WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS?
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: the band i hate the most
« Reply #98 on: February 09, 2006, 10:40:09 pm »

Why did you have to bring up the Mariner's Revenge V?  Now I have to listen to it repeatedly! WHY V?  WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS?

That is not a bad thing.  I listened to that whole album non stop for about a month.  Thanks Starlight.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
Re: the band i hate the most
« Reply #99 on: February 09, 2006, 10:44:55 pm »

they played Mars Volta on the radio.

the other day, i realized that station had it's format changed to "Classic Rock".

it's call letters are WQAK,

when it was a "rock" station in a "college" town,
they called it "the quake".
meh.  whatever.

now.

heh.

you have to understand,
when i heard this on the radio,
i thought i was a _joke_.
then i heard it the next week,
and the next, etc.

anyways,
now.
heh
now they call it "WQAK the Quack!"

i. swear. to. god.

they reformatted a "new rock" station to "classic rock" and now they call it "the quack".

no shit.


ya, so, MArs Volta.  i can't even remember the song,
except i remember that everytime i heard it,
i was like,
"who is this?",
and then the dj would say "mars volta",
and i'd be all "wtf?  why is this on the radio?  i own all the Babyland cd's and even _i_ think this is crap"


oh,
and i'm glad i'm not the only one who thinks that the Fiery Furnaces are not good to listen to.
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: the band i hate the most
« Reply #100 on: February 09, 2006, 10:51:14 pm »

I have yet to encounter a 5+ minute Decemberists song that doesn't bore me 2 minutes in.

Now July, July! There's a song. Also, The Apology Song
Logged

Hobot

  • DISK ONE OF SIX
  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 21
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 861
  • Appearing in a tortilla near you.
    • View Profile
    • Your music is inadequate.
Re: the band i hate the most
« Reply #101 on: February 10, 2006, 02:18:14 am »

I have yet to encounter a 5+ minute Decemberists song that doesn't bore me 2 minutes in.

Now July, July! There's a song. Also, The Apology Song

"Here I Dreamt I Was an Architect" is, to paraphrase SomethingAwful, like the saints peeing liquid gold into your ears.

And, though not the veritable embodiment of perfection that "Here I Dreamt" is, I also enjoy considerably the songs "The Engine Driver" and "California One / Youth and Beauty Brigade" (the latter of which is fuck*ng awesome live).
Logged
You had me at "I dig both ladies and fellows."

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: the band i hate the most
« Reply #102 on: February 10, 2006, 03:32:09 am »

Colin Meloy did lose points with me when I found out he was from Portland.  I figured he was from, oh I don't know, Portsmouth maybe.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: the band i hate the most
« Reply #103 on: February 10, 2006, 03:38:22 am »

man...I  kind of like the mars volta.
not enough to defend them, but...
there are much better bands to hate.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: the band i hate the most
« Reply #104 on: February 10, 2006, 04:58:00 pm »

John Mayer appeared on Chapelle's Show to play music that made white people want to dance.

That's all I needed. He's aight in my book.

He also did the theme to "Diffrent Strokes" with Chappelle singing and ?uestlove on the drums.  Quality.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12   Go Up