Twee is not the same as emo in the majority of ways!? Twee is a proud and upstanding genre!
I'm still trying to find the point where post-hardcore became emo and started sucking hard. Fugazi is awesome. Drive like Jehu is awesome. Rites of Spring is Awesome. Slint is awesome. (I guess maybe these should be are? I mean the band, as a unit, is awesome, so...). How is it that the bands influenced by bands I really like are all horrible? What got broken in between? HOW CAN THE MUSIC I LOVE RESULT IN SUCH SHITTY MUSIC?
I think emo is on the way out. There will be a brief upsurge of pseudo-indie pop bands, which will hopefully die out pretty quickly. And then "indie rock" can go back to being about... indepenent rock. you know... music that is rock music, and the bands are not on major labels.
As... I think it was the guy in Mudhoney? Mark Arm?... said: "it used to be that if I saw someone wearing thrift-store clothes with dyed green hair, I could assume they were cool, liked good music, and were... authentic. What possible reason could there be for dressing like this unless you really liked it? Now every kid in seattle looks like that, and there's no way to tell the good ones from the bad."
But... I guess that's incredibly superficial. Damn. I just want to be able to know that people like my favorite bands for real, not just because it will make them "cool". Paradoxically: this is because that would make it more cool to like those bands.
So I guess, what I"m saying is, basically I'm a horrible pretentious teenager, who likes to ask people if they enjoy obscure Independent bands.
Edit: Come on, nine inch nails? it is silly to like nine inch nails.